Author Topic: Do you wash fruits you have to peel to eat?  (Read 6263 times)

Offline AnopsStudier

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Do you wash fruits you have to peel to eat?
« on: November 17, 2015, 04:40:49 am »
Do you wash fruits with thick skins you peel off

Banana, Avocado, Lemons, Limes, Oranges, etc.... Do you need to wash these before consuming them? I don't eat the peel/skin obviously but. Any reason to wash them before peeling? Pesticides, etc...

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Do you wash fruits you have to peel to eat?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 05:00:20 am »
Usually yes, especially if they're not organic. But I don't make as big an effort to wash them as I do with fruits where I do eat the peels, such as apples.

In any case, washing is a matter of reducing the pesticide count that you'll ingest, you're never gonna get rid of all of them with a simple washing.

AV had a way to remove almost all the pesticides by using a solution of apple cider vinegar and water, I believe. But he only did that because he had his appendix removed so he believed his body took longer to identify and eliminate toxins.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 05:02:49 am »
Do you wash fruits with thick skins you peel off

Banana, Avocado, Lemons, Limes, Oranges, etc.... Do you need to wash these before consuming them? I don't eat the peel/skin obviously but. Any reason to wash them before peeling? Pesticides, etc...

Why would you wash something you don't plan to eat? I honestly don't wash any of my produce. If it were that dangerous to consume, then people with weaker immune systems and overall health than mine would be dropping like flies.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 05:07:24 am »
Why would you wash something you don't plan to eat?

Because some of the pesticides can still end up in the parts that you do eat.

If it were that dangerous to consume, then people with weaker immune systems and overall health than mine would be dropping like flies.

You're not gonna die from it, but your health can be improved by reducing the amount of pesticides you ingest.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 05:30:04 am »
Because some of the pesticides can still end up in the parts that you do eat.

You're not gonna die from it, but your health can be improved by reducing the amount of pesticides you ingest.

Along with those pesticides, you're removing bacteria that may be beneficial to you. *shrug* it's not as simple as the gurus say, or as their followers want it to be. It's complex, but at least you'll get the hard, difficult, complex truth here.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 06:43:43 am »
That is true. Plus if you're using tap water, you may be adding chemical contaminants as well.

Sometimes it's just a matter of preference. I tried not washing some of my organic greens for my juices, and found that the bottom of the juice jar would end up full of dirt. Not very tasty. Kind of like drinking sandy water.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 06:59:28 am »
That is true. Plus if you're using tap water, you may be adding chemical contaminants as well.

Sometimes it's just a matter of preference. I tried not washing some of my organic greens for my juices, and found that the bottom of the juice jar would end up full of dirt. Not very tasty. Kind of like drinking sandy water.

You can just strain that stuff out.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 07:35:02 am »
Regarding produce, I eat organic ONLY. It's not just about the pesticides (which are in the soil too, so you can't wash everything away if in fact you are washing anything away at all). Organic also has to do with the quality of the soil and levels of contaminants permissible. You can't wash this toxicity off, it's incorporated in the growing plant.

If  I happen to have only meat that is from a less reliable source or unknown about diet, I will only eat the muscle meat, and not the fat or organs.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 07:38:43 am »
I try to eat as much organic as possible, while still getting a good variety of foods. Some foods don't get much in the way of pests/diseases, so they don't really get sprayed with pesticides, like avocados.

Offline AnopsStudier

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 08:00:50 am »
I do eat only organic.  I was referring to those fruits I mentioned above more so.   Avocados, Bananas, Limes, Lemons, Oranges.   Should I wash them or am I wasting my time?

and there is the berries and apples I eat?   I only really have tap water to wash them with.   Am I doing any good?

Offline AnopsStudier

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 08:08:36 am »
Along with those pesticides, you're removing bacteria that may be beneficial to you. *shrug* it's not as simple as the gurus say, or as their followers want it to be. It's complex, but at least you'll get the hard, difficult, complex truth here.

true.  Now you guys are confusing me!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 08:25:43 am »
I do eat only organic.  I was referring to those fruits I mentioned above more so.   Avocados, Bananas, Limes, Lemons, Oranges.   Should I wash them or am I wasting my time?

and there is the berries and apples I eat?   I only really have tap water to wash them with.   Am I doing any good?

I wouldn't wash any of those except apples. A great deal depends on exposure levels, too. If you eat 5 apples a day for 60 years, it's more important to eat truly organic apples than if you eat 1 per week, for instance.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 08:26:32 am »
Berries really should be organic, though. They are heavily sprayed, and washing doesn't remove much, since they are so soft.

Offline AnopsStudier

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 08:41:52 am »
I literally only buy organic fruit and vegetables.  Even the ones that don't need to be purchased organic according to the "clean 15".
and I also have no health problems or have ever had any problems with anything related to not washing fruit..

I have apple cider vinegar and glass bottled water because I refrain from plastic and heard about cleaning my fruit with ACV.
But then Im like...I mostly have citrus, avocados and bananas (my favorite fruits) Why am I about to waste all this glass bottled spring water to wash my fruits?  And am I actually cleaning them or doing anything good? lol
enough to make any kind of difference?  I give my apples a good 25 second rinse and scrub before eating.   Some times I peel them as well.
And berries I usually buy organic frozen and only fresh when in season from my organic farmers market.

Washing fruit and veggies has always confused me.  Usually as a child parents just teach you to give it a quick rinse under tap water and a wipe on a towel or paper towel and thats what most do for the rest of their life.... and also I never really have washed meat.. I was always baffled when people washed grass fed beef under tap water?  WTF  -v
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:48:50 am by AnopsStudier »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk