Author Topic: Maybe a hygiene or cosmetic section?  (Read 9229 times)

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Maybe a hygiene or cosmetic section?
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:49:50 pm »
I was thinking we could have a section devoted to our daily hygiene or cosmetic routines. Perhaps a place that we can talk about our natural alternatives to soaps, shampoos, tooth paste, makeup, etc. For example, the last few months I've only used VCO in the shower. I threw all my shampoos, aftershave, and deodorants away. The VCO lubricates my face enough to shave with as well. It's so liberating not to have to spend money on that stuff. I'm convinced that the acids in the oil kill anything that would make me stink, or cause skin irritation after shaving. Anyway, I'd like to hear about other members' practices. Maybe I could learn something new.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Maybe a hygiene or cosmetic section?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:13:47 pm »
I'm not sure a whole forum just for hygiene-related issues is needed. Perhaps we could have a separate forum devoted to the RAF lifestyle as a whole, including hygiene/cosemtic issues,/soap/detergent etc. At the very least, I'm thinking of posting a thread re this subject for beginners.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 03:51:58 am »
I was thinking we could have a section devoted to our daily hygiene or cosmetic routines. Perhaps a place that we can talk about our natural alternatives to soaps, shampoos, tooth paste, makeup, etc. For example, the last few months I've only used VCO in the shower. I threw all my shampoos, aftershave, and deodorants away. The VCO lubricates my face enough to shave with as well. It's so liberating not to have to spend money on that stuff. I'm convinced that the acids in the oil kill anything that would make me stink, or cause skin irritation after shaving. Anyway, I'd like to hear about other members' practices. Maybe I could learn something new.

Did exactly the same thing about 6 months ago. Worked wonders for my skin. However i was recently thinking that animal oil/fat could be used in place of plant for shaving etc? After all the fat you consume becomes the fat of your body......so when doing something rather odd like showering in warm/hot water (which drys out your skin) and attempting to razor the hair of your face - maybe an oil closest to the oil in your skin would work best? Is animal fat soap etc not a very old idea after all?

Or maybe I need to do some related research/experiments! But definately with you on that one.....

Infact was thinking of rendering/saponifying (or whatever!) some grade A wild or grass fed fat to make some bare essential potions. Maybe just a soap for shaving, and other things perhaps.......Or look online for someone doing something similar.

These are my thoughts! What you think?

David

ps. "Infact was thinking of rendering/saponifying (or whatever!) some grade A...."     ---- yea! think I better do some research!! :)

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 04:20:35 am »
Hi David,

Yeah, actually since I posted this, I got rid of  the VCO and started rendering tallow from suet and just using that on my skin. I keep a bowl of it on my sink, and just rub some on after my shower. I don't need it as bad now because it's getting nicer (more humid) around here. It works really well though.

I've been taking colder showers too, and that has helped my skin and hair a lot.

Rob

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:57:45 am »

Try opening a new thread on this topic.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:21:24 am »
I lather up with coconut oil before a shower, and then squeeze either lemon, lime, or orange juice on my skin.  Leave a fresh citrus smell.  Also, coconut oil is a good hair product.
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:16:53 pm »
Hi David,

Yeah, actually since I posted this, I got rid of  the VCO and started rendering tallow from suet and just using that on my skin. I keep a bowl of it on my sink, and just rub some on after my shower. I don't need it as bad now because it's getting nicer (more humid) around here. It works really well though.

I've been taking colder showers too, and that has helped my skin and hair a lot.

Rob

Have you tried to shave with it yet? might need an open blade like a cut throat razor.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:00:37 am »
Just bumping this up to see what people are doing these days.

Since this thread I've also replaced my VCO with suet tallow for my skin. I don't have any skin problems or anything, but I still think it's great cuz I only need a little bit and not everyday as a moisturizer.  VCO I used more frequently.

Hahaha, I think it's funny to bring this up on a forum that is predominantly male posters :)

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:14:25 am »
I actually stopped using rendered suet because i stopped drying out my skin with hot showers. (on a side not, the first time i rendered it i didnt 'filter' it through some kitchen paper, and I accidently got it in my hair while showering - and I ended up smelling like a dead animal for a few days! :) )

That said, once I got some nice 'pure' stuff, I was much happier putting that on my skin. And from what I can remember it worked rather well.

I'm slowly making my showers colder and colder tho, but as long as they are not 'hot' I think its preference really as your skin won't get too dried out.

Toothpaste is still something I am undecided over.... (i think im am a little brainwashed into thinking I need it, although if i ate loads of fruit I perhaps would)

And hey, we're might be mainly guys - but we still wash!  sometimes....  :P

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 10:40:00 am »
i've been using VCO for oil pulling every morning and it really seems to help clean my teeth. after i oil pull then i brush with a tooth powder i made (about 3 parts bentonite clay, 1 part himalayan salt, some ground clove, and a few drops of tea tree oil). seems to work pretty well.

also, i've stopped using soap or shampoo in the shower. just rinse my hair really well and scrub my skin with a rag. been doing this for a few months and no smell :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk