Author Topic: Free-range raw eggs even worse than assumed  (Read 4847 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Free-range raw eggs even worse than assumed
« on: April 06, 2016, 06:35:00 pm »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3525629/The-terrible-cost-cheap-eggs-health-fears-continue-blight-sales-former-breakfast-favourite.html

I suspect that we all, well a lot of us at least, have made some cut-backs in our commitments to being raw. Sure, we have our RFs and SBs who like to slaughter their own food which is about as rawpalaeo as it gets and then we have other more  responsible, independent people  like eveheart checking out local farms directly before buying. However, some of us, like myself, sometimes have made compromises such as buying raw, free-range eggs from heavily inbred factory hens.  I did so very early on in my diet and did not change my stance until c. 7 years later when I bought some raw "woodland" eggs from Sainsbury's supermarket which tasted WAY better and looked orange rather than the usual yellow "organic,free-range" eggs from other sources. Now, in Austria, I have been informed, however possibly erroneously, that most Austrian produce  is from small semi-organic, semi-grassfed farms at the very least, but still.... At any rate, I view raw eggs as a  reliable sort of rawpalaeo junk-food and only have them rarely.  If I ever get to my dream of owning my own small organic farm, I will, for sure, feed my rare breed fowl on 100% carnivorous diets aided by a worm-farm etc. and have the raw eggs thereof, but until then I will try to upgrade the quality of my raw foods as much as possible  and restrict my intake of raw but dubious sources.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:53:05 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw eggs even worse than assumed
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:57:48 pm »
The notion that supermarkets set the price and the producers have no choice but sell to them is a fairly misguided one. Supermarkets offer to buy large quantities at reduced prices, and the producers can choose to sell to them or not sell to them. If enough producers refuse to sell for a low cost, supermarkets have to up the bids in order to get the goods. If you're a large producer, it's easy to sell to a supermarket because it saves on transaction costs, that is, you don't have to spend time trying to sell to smaller businesses or directly to consumers who would pay a lot more, but cost you a lot of time to arrange. If the farmers decide it's not in their best interest to spend the time and money in selling to smaller businesses and individuals, it's them who are choosing to sell to the supermarkets. Likewise, if consumers choose to not spend the time to try to buy directly from the farmer or from smaller businesses, and want the convenience of buying all their groceries and produce from the supermarket in one go, that's their choice also.

It could be that the current price for eggs is unsustainable in the UK (where I live that is the price for high quality organic, free range eggs, with conventional eggs costing between 40 and 60% as much), but if that is the case, the problem starts with the producers selling low to be able to maintain their operations, especially those who have massive debt are the ones who are taking a gamble that egg prices will rise before they go bankrupt. Maybe their gamble will pay off, and maybe it won't. It's really them who need to be making this analysis, all we can do from the outside is speculate on whether this is a profitable gamble or a losing one.

In any case, as consumers the main focus should be the quality of the eggs we get and the price we pay for them. We want the quality to be high and the price to be low, that's it. I want free range eggs because those are of higher quality than conventional factory farm eggs.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:25:53 pm by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:12:19 am »
I agree that raw eggs are not staple food.
If I chance upon it for a snack, then it is... from time to time.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 04:12:36 am »
The title of this thread is very misleading. It should be "free-range eggs are worse than assumed". Raw-Paleo grade eggs are perfectly healthy.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 10:59:33 am »
Free range labels are a rip off!

I tried to eat free range while in the UK, Netherlands, and France, and they were all horrible tasting.... I ended up throwing most of them away....Though I did have a few local organic eggs in Nice' that were fairly good.

I've been only eating eggs occasionally since I have had some odd symptoms from eating too many eggs in the past. I noticed that sometimes after eating eggs for a few days in a row, I will begin to feel a soreness in my knees and my hands would feel stiff in the morning. It was so mild and intermittent at first that it took a while to link it to the eggs. Not exactly sure what was the cause? This was before I had my own source of backyard eggs, and I was eating grain supplemented local organic free range. After switching to homegrown the issue never came back, but I still limit overall egg consumption, eating them only when I get a craving.

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Free-range raw eggs even worse than assumed
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 05:53:16 pm »
The title of this thread is very misleading. It should be "free-range eggs are worse than assumed". Raw-Paleo grade eggs are perfectly healthy.
All fixed.Thanks.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 08:36:49 pm »
I've been only eating eggs occasionally since I have had some odd symptoms from eating too many eggs in the past. I noticed that sometimes after eating eggs for a few days in a row, I will begin to feel a soreness in my knees and my hands would feel stiff in the morning. It was so mild and intermittent at first that it took a while to link it to the eggs. Not exactly sure what was the cause? This was before I had my own source of backyard eggs, and I was eating grain supplemented local organic free range. After switching to homegrown the issue never came back, but I still limit overall egg consumption, eating them only when I get a craving.

It may be some sort of detox. I've had as many as 90 organic, free range, heavily grain fed eggs a week for over a year without problems. Until at one point I quit having eggs for a couple months because suddenly whenever I had any, even 3 or 4, I had pretty bad stomach pain for a couple hours. So I quit having eggs for 3 or 4 months. But then the same thing started happening whenever I had milk. So then I realized that it was just my body using the nutrients in the eggs to pull toxins into the stomach. When I stopped having eggs that stopped, but a while thereafter my body learned to do the same with the nutrients in milk. I then followed AV's recommendation of having small amounts of no-salt-added raw cheese multiple times a day, and after a few weeks with intermittent nausea and some vomiting, especially whenever I ran out of cheese, those symptoms are now gone and I'm now having a huge daily milkshake that consists of 4-8 eggs, 3/4ths to 1 liter milk, about 100g of honey, 1 medium lemon and 1 very large semi-ripe plantain, without any issues.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk