Author Topic: Potato, sweet potato and high carb sources?  (Read 5768 times)

Offline roar

• Forager
    • View Profile
Potato, sweet potato and high carb sources?
« on: August 22, 2016, 07:02:44 am »
I have a very low carb intake, from non-starchy vegetables and a bit of fruit. I was wondering what high carb sources are there on a raw diet? Are raw potato and sweet potato common?

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Potato, sweet potato and high carb sources?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 07:09:11 am »
No they're not. The main sources for those who adhere to vanilla paleo diets are fruits and honey. For me I also have milk, corn on the cob, carrot juice and beet juice. Also, plenty of fruits, if you have them unripe, will contain more starch and less sugar. Both are carbs, but they are metabolized differently. Still, I keep my carb intake at a maximum of 20 to 25% of my calories, and generally lower than that still.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:25:10 am by dariorpl »
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 07:15:32 am »
It varies from person to person, and what their dietary preferences are. For those who pursue low carb diets, raw starches probably aren't common foods. For those of us (including me) who try to get 30-40 percent of our calories from carbohydrates to support our athletic training (for me CrossFit), potatoes, sweet potatoes and a range of other calorie-dense root vegetables contribute importantly to our daily intake. I eat potatoes, sweet potatoes, jerusalem artichokes, beets, carrots, burdock root, turnips, rutabaga, onions, and other root vegetables on pretty much a daily basis, and eat 80+ grams of carbohydrate each day from these sources.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:21:35 am »
I forgot about onions. But I generally look at them as more of a condiment. Speaking of which, how can you stomach turnips? Even a small amount tastes way too strong for me and makes my stomach turn. Also, how do you eat your potatoes?
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline roar

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 07:27:05 am »
I've been zero carb for a while. I get stomach problems with fruit (can handle a little bit), but enjoy root vegetables. I haven't had honey for a long time, so I'll try that out. I love turnips - Not sure how you guys eat raw onions though. And yeah eric, how do you eat your potatoes/sweet potatoes?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 07:31:41 am »
Many of my root vegetables, including onions, potatoes and sweet potatoes, are chopped into small cubes and mixed into a 'salad', which might have some greens in it but not many. I will usually mix olives into these root veg salads to add some healthy fat, and might also add some fermented vegetables and raw meat too. One raw meat that works particularly well in these recipes is raw fish, especially wild-caught salmon. Meat and olives add some protein and fat that makes it easier to process the raw carbs and lets me tolerate the high fiber easier. I sometimes add a splash of vinegar too, for the taste.

Offline roar

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 07:44:01 am »
Cheers Eric, sounds good. Out of interest do you really enjoy the taste of raw potato, or just eat it to get the extra carbs?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 07:55:43 am »
I eat a low-carb diet, but never a zero-carb diet.

For vegetables, I enjoy them fermented most of the time. I eat carrots, beets, and sweet potatoes this way. I don't get much in the way of carbs this way because the amounts are more like "condiments" for variety, not "servings" for quantity.

I also enjoy carbs in nuts. Still not a super-starch like potatoes, nuts have a good amount of carbs compared to lettuce.

How are you with honey? Fermented or not, honey is the epitome of high carbs!

And for a great snack food, try sprouted corn kernels (get the kind for sprouting, not popcorn) or even sprouted peas. Despite the controversies over corn, the sprouted kernel has a good amount of starch left. For flavor, sprouted corn is delicious. You can find out how to sprout corn and other things at https://sproutpeople.org/.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 08:11:16 am »
Cheers Eric, sounds good. Out of interest do you really enjoy the taste of raw potato, or just eat it to get the extra carbs?

Originally it was for the carbs, but as I've been eating them for a while the taste and texture have actually become appealing. Have you ever tasted them? Depending on what variety you get, the taste can vary tremendously. Some of the heirloom varieties are not only pleasant in taste but also add visual appeal to a prepared dish with their red, blue or purple flesh, and variously colored skins.

Offline roar

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 08:12:29 am »
Thanks for the tips eveheart. I'm alright on fermented vegetables. I haven't made any lately, but they do feel good in my diet. As much as I like nuts, I have a problem digesting them. And I haven't tried honey for a long time, so I'm not sure what I'm like on it. I'd cut out sugars because I was having problems with high carbs, but I will test honey very soon. Guess it's just a matter of testing different fruit too, and see what works. Whenever I go too low carb I feel slow, unmotivated and like there's something missing in my diet.

Offline roar

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 08:16:45 am »
Only cooked Eric. They don't sound nice raw but I'll get one to nibble. You're right about those colours - some of them do look very cool.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 08:33:12 am »
I would suggest milk for the symptoms you're describing.

Btw, several years ago, while doing a vegan diet, I used to eat sprouted lentils. They were not good, and eating more than a handful was a challenge. Not because of the taste, but because my body just didn't like them, as it didn't like any of the other sprouts I was having like soy or alfalfa or (I think, iirc) broccoli. AV claimed any raw sprouts are toxic and will kill you pretty fast if they're all you eat. I don't know if I believe they're that extreme, but I could never eat raw sprouts except in very small portions and mixed with other foods. However, if I cooked them, there was no problem eating large amounts. It makes sense that the seedling would want to protect itself from being eaten at the point in the plant's life where it's the most vulnerable, and so it makes sense that raw sprouts would contain plenty of antinutrients to deter animals from eating them. Otherwise, how would they survive in nature?

It's interesting that you have issues digesting nuts, as AV also said that almost nobody can digest them properly. I certainly find that even if eat a lot of nuts, I feel like I haven't eaten much of anything, even though supposedly their caloric values are quite high.

Re: what you asked about onions, I either slice them very thinly, or chop them, and add them as a condiment to my meat meals, or I grind them up in a patee. Or once in a blue moon I will use them to condiment a salad or a veggie juice. Always in small amounts. The most I can eat in a single meal is one small onion, or half of a large one, and even that is hard sometimes. However, in small amounts, they sometimes add good flavor and there are some valuable nutrients in them, particularly for cleaning certain toxins out of the body. I also alternatively have garlic, ginger, horseradish root and hot peppers in the same ways and for the same reasons.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:44:56 am by dariorpl »

Offline roar

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 09:07:49 am »
I can't do milk. I used to eat loads of nuts, absolutely loved them. But the same actually, I'd never feel full on them. Now they just make my stomach feel blocked. And there are a lot of carbs that make me feel bloated - just a matter of finding the right ones for me. I think I do better on low carb anyway, but need to find that balance. Cheers all.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 01:15:12 pm »
I found this recipe for preparing potatoes and other tubers by "cooking" them at very low heat for extended periods. The guy claims they will come out just the same as cooked, but without denaturing the proteins and without creating as many toxins from the cooking process. The method calls for submerging the whole tuber in a bath of a constant temperature under 118F (47.8C), for 2 to 8 hours depending on the size of the tuber.

I'll be trying this within a few weeks and report the results. I wonder how low I can go before it stops working. I wonder if 43C would be doable (109.5F)

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t07Qqprp_VQ

My goal is to eat a small amount of starch with a large amount of fats such as cream, as a combination to remove toxins the way AV recommended.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:21:14 pm by dariorpl »

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 10:36:20 am »
I can't do milk. I used to eat loads of nuts, absolutely loved them. But the same actually, I'd never feel full on them. Now they just make my stomach feel blocked. And there are a lot of carbs that make me feel bloated - just a matter of finding the right ones for me. I think I do better on low carb anyway, but need to find that balance. Cheers all.

have you tried raw milk?
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk