Raw Paleo Diet Forums > General Discussion

Young children and meat

(1/3) > >>

Metallica:
Why do you think young children generally do not eat meat..

i have a 2 year old nephew who rarely eats meat, he only eats it if its mixed in with something else... this is quite common among young children..

the only reason i can think of is that hunter/gather children are usually weaned to the ages of 4-5, this is probably why children love sweet foods and carby foods because of the sugar, breastmilk is decent amount of sugar... after weaning they change over to meat/plant based diet.

Raw Kyle:
Makes sense, but then again the kind of meat they are served these days is not natural so maybe that's why they shun it. Who knows, maybe young kids in Inuit or other raw meat consuming tribes really like meat at a young age. I think I did hear reports of that, of young kids eating seal fat like candy and even enjoying the high meat.

TheWayCreatesTheWarrior:

at what age are teeth prominant enough for chewing meat?

i just assume that if you havent developed a full set of teeth yet, maybe your body doesnt send out the signals to want meat.

xylothrill:

I haven't heard of them doing that with meat so much as I have heard of it with vegetables. Maybe it IS because they're weaned too early or maybe it's because it's cooked and is too lean rather than fatty. If there's any kind of instinct involved, rabbit starvation would be a good enough reason for kids to shun lean meats as a survival instinct/innate skill.

Craig

Nicola:

--- Quote from: TheWayCreatesTheWarrior on June 03, 2008, 03:21:00 pm ---
at what age are teeth prominant enough for chewing meat?

i just assume that if you havent developed a full set of teeth yet, maybe your body doesnt send out the signals to want meat.

--- End quote ---

I thought one does not have to chew meat - at least one person on this forum bolts it down. I have watched (on TV) Inuit kids eat (chew? bolt down?) frozen fish.

Nicola

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version