Author Topic: TV show (42mins) episode on Raw Animal Foods! (Bizarre Foods by Andrew Zimmern)  (Read 22155 times)

Offline letsdoiteczema

• Buffalo Hunter
  • Call me LDIE for short =)
    • View Profile
    • Healing from severe suicidal eczema
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM-XH0udorw

I'm sure many RPDers will LOVE this! Probably a good idea to show friends/family that rawpaleo isn't so weird after all...
Wishing everyone the best in health and happiness! much love to all!

My severe suicidal eczema healing blog: http://eczemabye.weebly.com/

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
The link is blocked in America(former home of the free internet)
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
Strange, considering the host is american. The youtube channel it is posted on is called "Russian Cuisine", there might still be some sort of cold war hostility lurking under the surface ;)

Anyways great video so far (I'm 20min in), it looks like the host has a lot of experience with raw meat, seeing how he is enjoying himself and being comfortable trying out new raw foods. And the size of those mussels!!

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
this is copyrighted material so the owner has all the rights to request block.
try using Tor browser.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
side note- there are many who disagree with the right of copyrighters, and are ushering in a new Open Source age.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s8uX6LIDKA
The first half makes some points regarding issues like copyrighting and hamster canibalism.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Hamster cannibalism aside, here's another link to the same vid which is accessible by those of us in the USA.
Bizarre Foods: St. Petersburg Russia

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Thanks Eric.

Very Good Perspective of Russian Cuisine,

I have faced criticism in past threads for suggesting that there is a rise of the foodies in Russia.... for sure things were quite bad in the past....but there is promising signs that the worm is turning.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Few things:
- so called farmer's market is really the same thing as supermarket in the West.  95% of produce is imported or delivered from other regions and all are conventionally raised, nothing is organic, and very few things are local.
- meats in general are a luxury.  typical russian family gets by with non-organic chicken and pork. beef is expensive. but tails and marrow bones are cheap.  organic meat is very hard to find esp now when most are cutting back on spending.
- dried vobla is not herring, it is farmed carp.  but many fishermen dry wild catch themselves.
- bear meat is exotic, so is black caviar and lamprey.  90% of people cannot afford it, and maybe only 1-2% can afford caviar.

Here is a list of good things:
- pickled herring is awesome
- pickled vegetables are great too, but only if they are organic which is really hard to find in the big city.
- wild mushrooms
- salo - eating it now
- those who live outside the city have small gardens where they can grow organic stuff. but in the city typical staple is cheap pasta with non-organic chicken or pork.
- home-style fast food cafeteria is really good.  I enjoyed it even though everything was cooked except pickled stuff.  My favorite was ground salo with ground fresh garlic.

And the ugly part.  Since Russia imposed sanctions on western produce there is a lot of foods with fake labels, additives that are not listed, and inferior ingredients.  Very difficult to know where it came from and what are the real ingredients.  When average salary is around $500/month many people totally do not care if it is organic or not esp in the province where salary is much lower.

And it is by far not a perspective.  Zimmern simply picked the best parts which is not what a typical family eats every day.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:23:56 pm by ys »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Just one bit to add. When I was in Kiev, I was told that all families in the city, not just those outside, had been allocated small gardens outside the city for them to  grow plants  there etc.. It was more or less stated that this was a common Communist initiative.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 11:00:22 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
That's not true at all. While it was popular for city dwellers to have such small gardens many people did not have it.  We did not have it and many of our neighbors did not as well.

Nothing has been allocated.  You would have to buy it.  The price of such plot land including a small hut back in the 80s in the province was 2000 rubles when typical pay was 120-150 rubles per month.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
In all fairness I agree that there still must be food deserts and great inequity through out the land, but you cannot tell me that there has not been overall vast improvements since the 1980s? Or that there are not growing numbers of foodies who are choosing higher quality foods.

Also*Every negative statement against Russia could just as easily be said about many places in rural and inner city American Food Stamp grocery Store culture. I dont personally know for sure as to the quality of conventional produce over there, but they are rejecting GMO and there is a huge movement toward more organic methods of food production. So, is it possible that the lower cost peasant foods being sold at the market could be of higher quality than the GMOs that poor Americans buy at Walmart?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
That's not true at all. While it was popular for city dwellers to have such small gardens many people did not have it.  We did not have it and many of our neighbors did not as well.

Nothing has been allocated.  You would have to buy it.  The price of such plot land including a small hut back in the 80s in the province was 2000 rubles when typical pay was 120-150 rubles per month.
I can only say that all Kievites I met mentioned that they had a small garden outside the city - some even provided me with the vegetables they had grown in their gardens. One head of the family was a pilot, admittedly, but others were dirt-poor types.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Food variety got better by a mile since they opened borders in the late 80's.  But right now thanks to dumb-ass putin, food prices spiked like crazy and many started cutting back and making preference for lower quality food.

You have no idea how bad things are over there.  More and more people are cutting back on vodka and choosing surrogate alcohol instead.  Just recently about 100 people died in Irkutsk due to methanol poisoning.
http://www.rferl.org/a/siberia-alcohol-poisoning-death-toll-rises-71/28190666.html
Drinking perfume and windshield liquid is very common because it is much cheaper than vodka. 

You are correct.  It does sound like inner American city where no one cares what they eat as long as it is tasty only on much bigger and grander scale.  My distant relatives are like that. I asked and they don't know anyone who is specifically looking for organic food.

Forget about GMO.  The only reason they don't have it is because they don't want to spend $$$ importing GMO seeds every time.  They heavily use chemical fertilizers and pesticides everywhere and cattle is fed grain almost exclusively.

Garden plots were very common but by far not everyone had them.  In my neighborhood maybe only 30% of household had one.  Two of my friends had one but the rest of my friends including us did not.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Where in the USSR did you grow up, ys?
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I would take the St Pt market place over our local save-a-lot any day. Where I live even the farmers markets are not all that great, and the California organic greens at the health food markets are no where nearly as good as what I can grow at home.

I have concerns about the quality of food in America (even so called ORGANIC foods), and am curious about the quality of commercially produced food in other countries....Please feel free to educate me with relevant links regarding any comparative study on Russia Vs America food quality. I know Russia uses chemical fertilizers, but they do not use Round Up ready GMO, and there is a huge government backed effort to increase organic food production. While I know in America much of our farm land is a BIO hazard zone.... Yet there is so much dis-info and consternation between the two powers that such comparative studies are few and far between.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
This is a fascinating conversation. Makes me very grateful to live in Vermont, USA, where high quality food is fairly accessible.

Offline letsdoiteczema

• Buffalo Hunter
  • Call me LDIE for short =)
    • View Profile
    • Healing from severe suicidal eczema
Hamster cannibalism aside, here's another link to the same vid which is accessible by those of us in the USA.
Bizarre Foods: St. Petersburg Russia

Hey Eric, unfortunately, that is completely different video!

"Bizarre foods" is the TV show but the episode name is: "No Cooking Required Special".
Not "St. Petersburg Russia"
Wishing everyone the best in health and happiness! much love to all!

My severe suicidal eczema healing blog: http://eczemabye.weebly.com/

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Someone mentioned something about Russia in an earlier post, so I thought it was the Russian episode. Anyway, here's a link to the No Cooking Required episode. It's recent enough that those of us in the US have to pay to watch it on YouTube. It's only $1.99 though.

Bizarre Foods: No Cooking Required

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Just finished watching the episode. The best pro-raw food episode I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:44:24 pm by Eric »

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I would take the St Pt market place over our local save-a-lot any day.

You don't understand.  Those produce is not home grown.  It is from commercial farms.  Only few things are good there such as wild mushrooms.  All those pickled vegetables they are from commercial farms as well.

Where in the USSR did you grow up, ys?
Small town in Russia, then Kiev.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
You don't understand.  Those produce is not home grown.  It is from commercial farms.  Only few things are good there such as wild mushrooms.  All those pickled vegetables they are from commercial farms as well.
Small town in Russia, then Kiev.

No you dont understand. Im speaking about the comparative quality of conventional produce...much of the produce on American store shelves comes from commercial farms...what I want to know is if the standards of "conventional" are better in Monsanto Land than in Putinistan?

Also there is a push toward developing transitional methods in Russia which may not be certified organic, but may be of much better overall quality than the Walmart, save-a-lot stuff most Americans consume.

I also mistrust the Organic labels in America, especially when it comes to meats. Much of the organic labeled meat in the US taste awful and is fed Grains or sub quality forage.... and is damn expensive.

You are arguing more over comparative labeling and pricing which while relevant to some; I view as abstractions and distractions from the general food quality issues I am most interested in.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Just finished watching the episode. The best pro-raw food episode I've ever seen.
Well, I refuse to pay for content, but if ever a copy becomes available for free please feel free to post it here

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
You are arguing more over comparative labeling and pricing which while relevant to some; I view as abstractions and distractions from the general food quality issues I am most interested in.

No, all I'm saying is I have absolutely no trust in produce shown in that video.  Knowing the culture of russian business (much like chinese business) where profits are above all, I would stay away from it.  All of it grown in conventional farms using chemical fertilizers and pesticides just like in the US.  Even if it is not GMO it is still full of chemicals.  I trust US organic label much more than commercial Russian produce.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
While I admit that ys is talking from personal , far more widespread experience than me, I would suggest that Russians living in more rural communities probably(?) have much better access to decent foods. I mean, I've seen photos of Nenets in Russia eating raw reindeer meat, for example. Plus, I recall acquaintances visiting China who told me of scenes in Chinese cities where the locals had street markets all over where they offered far more variety than what would be available in the West, such as (albeit cooked) grasshoppers, insects, worms, scorpions  etc. etc. The point being that a lot of RPDers, myself included, would complain, at the start of  going rawpalaeo, of there being no decent quality raw foods available in their  own local area, but, inevitably, most who bothered to do some research/make some effort would find decent raw, quality food-sources in the end.

Interesting articles on Siberia, indicating, quite possibly,  that pre-Western-contact native peoples in the Arctic likely had a much higher percentage of raw food in their diet, than previously supposed:-

http://www.languagesoftheworld.info/russia-ukraine-and-the-caucasus/cuisines-siberia.html

http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2012/yakuts/

It is also mentioned elsewhere that "salo"(pig fat) is often eaten raw in Russia. Haan, stroganina, pechen are also mentioned as being Yakuts'  raw dishes.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk