Author Topic: motivation vs. laziness  (Read 7877 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
motivation vs. laziness
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:42:54 am »
Ok so I've been in a bit of a funk recently. I just graduated college, and applied for a few jobs. I started to grow a garden, I try and get to the gym often, get my healthy food, etc.

On paper it sounds like I've got my shit together, but I could be doing a WHOLE LOT MORE. And I WANT TO. Sometimes I have tremendous motivation to do things, and other times I have none.

It all starts with waking up. I've always been a late sleeper, but it's not just length of sleep. I like to sleep in the morning until the late morning or early afternoon. And I don't have much desire to sleep early at night, getting to bed by 1 A.M. is pretty early for me, and before midnight would be noteworthy.

Could it be a blood sugar thing that changes my motivational states? The sleep thing is so strange, it's like my whole drive is different in the morning, I know I should get up and that I'll get more chores done and have more free time later in the day, but it's practically impossible.

Today I was feeling a little lazy and was making something and ate a little bite of mango and felt better. Maybe I need to be eating small meals? Because I usually eat 2 large meals.

I'm going to start really paying attention to this kind of stuff because I have some stuff I want to achieve some more things than I am achieving now.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: motivation vs. laziness
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:44:33 am »
I was a typical late-to-bed/late-to-rise teenager but that pretty much got cured when I went into the military.  Also, my job for many years required me to be at work around 5:30am.  I assure you, when you must get up every morning between 4am and 5am and you are not allowed to sleep during the day, you'll have no problem going to bed early.  My motivation was also rather strong - I wanted to keep my job.

Lex

Offline TheWayCreatesTheWarrior

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • WhereHaveTheBuffaloGone
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:22:57 pm »
Ok so I've been in a bit of a funk recently. I just graduated college, and applied for a few jobs. I started to grow a garden, I try and get to the gym often, get my healthy food, etc.

On paper it sounds like I've got my shit together, but I could be doing a WHOLE LOT MORE. And I WANT TO. Sometimes I have tremendous motivation to do things, and other times I have none.

It all starts with waking up. I've always been a late sleeper, but it's not just length of sleep. I like to sleep in the morning until the late morning or early afternoon. And I don't have much desire to sleep early at night, getting to bed by 1 A.M. is pretty early for me, and before midnight would be noteworthy.

Could it be a blood sugar thing that changes my motivational states? The sleep thing is so strange, it's like my whole drive is different in the morning, I know I should get up and that I'll get more chores done and have more free time later in the day, but it's practically impossible.

Today I was feeling a little lazy and was making something and ate a little bite of mango and felt better. Maybe I need to be eating small meals? Because I usually eat 2 large meals.

I'm going to start really paying attention to this kind of stuff because I have some stuff I want to achieve some more things than I am achieving now.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is a great book about being proactive. by the cover/author, it looks like its a book about how to be successful in career and money, but its not. just the first "Habit" changed the way i look at why i do things sometimes.

With the sleep thing, the only thing i could recommend is to "Bite the Bullet" one day, and no matter how little sleep you get, get up at the break of dawn, and start the day with something physical, so that no matter what happens then on, you at least got a good workout in. plus, the morning is the best time of day, once you experience it(out in nature) its hard to let it pass by the next day. to me theres no better feeling than that sense of self-accomplishment after an early morning workout(more of a cardiovascular workout, i like to do lifting in the afternoon).
There can be no mercy in the heart, of the heart, of the Wolf.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:57:19 pm »
be slack' enjoy it! make a garden, eat healthy and rest your brain from college.

It took me a year to get a proper job after Uni. Hardly worked,  had no money, it was great!

I had cheap hobbies which got me out of bed so that wasn't a problem.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 02:59:15 am »
Lots of good advice. Life adds variables as you get older, and it becomes difficult to know what is causing what.

I do want to start saving money though because every time I read something or watch a video about changes in the world and USA it frustrates me and gives me a desire to want my own piece of land I can be self-sufficient on.

Offline TheWayCreatesTheWarrior

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
    • WhereHaveTheBuffaloGone
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 10:15:18 pm »
Lots of good advice. Life adds variables as you get older, and it becomes difficult to know what is causing what.

I do want to start saving money though because every time I read something or watch a video about changes in the world and USA it frustrates me and gives me a desire to want my own piece of land I can be self-sufficient on.

i hear ya, we should all pool together and start a village/tribe. we could hunt and garden together.
There can be no mercy in the heart, of the heart, of the Wolf.

Offline Kristelle

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:16:34 pm »
Indeed. That would be truly amazing.  :)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 04:26:31 am »
i hear ya, we should all pool together and start a village/tribe. we could hunt and garden together.

I'm really serious about it too. I have a good chunk of change saved up and have been actively looking for land, mostly in Brazil and the African continent. I almost shit myself a couple of days ago when I saw about 3000 acres in Africa for $50k, but then I saw it was to lease it not to buy. But still, that's a ton of land for that price, a little over $16 an acre. If that was to buy then I would have already picked it up, whether there was any buildings or anything on it yet.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 01:18:46 am »
Finding land for self sufficiency is really difficult in the USA due to property taxes.  Here, when you purchase property you're just buying the right to rent it from the government.  That dream of 5 acres and independence is great if you are independently wealthy and can afford the taxes.

I have no idea whether this is true in other countries like Africa and Brazil.  With the political situation in most areas like this, I suppose it's a toss-up between paying taxes in the US or dealing with dictators wearing funny hats.

Lex

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 01:25:34 am »
Brazil is pretty solid politically I think.

I was thinking of having a little resort on the property in addition to subsistence farming to get some money. People might be attracted to that sort of thing, grow all the food on the premises and I can cook it for them if they want it cooked.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 08:34:04 am »

Hi. I appreciate I'm a newbie to this forum, but I if i might give my opinion.... I might add to that working in a bar has changed my sleep pattern to an almost identical one....

1 thing I have definately learnt is that waking up when the sunrises (say like 5/6/7ish) and going to bed when it sets, is undoubtably a good habit to maybe try and form. After all our bodys evolved that way, and although no-one is desputing this i think, i do  remember reading talking about different hormones like melenomin (?) etc for sleep and wake that are dependant on light/dark. Sure this is a damn hard thing to do, that is reliant of a allowing a few weeks (or even months) to slowly retune your body clock, that may require some considerable effort, or even some change in your life. For example I'm looking for alternative work, because barwork just simply isnt doing good things for my bodyclock and health.

Sugar and diet is another point. I think you know alot more than most on this one, at least with paleo in mind given your postition on this site, but perhaps it may be something small like when your feeling unmotivated, perhaps you have had some carbs a while ago, and its a sideeffect of that. I know that when i go low carb, i feel really steady, and then if i have some berries (which although are better than other fruit are very high is sugar relative to their ancestors) i am more sensitive to the up down effects than if I am moderate carb. Just an idea, because this is what happens with me.

Also never over look that although you may eat the right stuff, how you eat could affect things. Again, I am relatively new to this (but have done a fair bit of research) and the latest thing to hit me was how a young guy on here called Sully seemed to always be very positive. Now, at 17, he's bound to have more energy sure, but i do agree with an important point he made about how eating everyday is unnatural. Maybe its something simple like you eat too much fat too regularly, and your body is just working hard to digest it, giving you less drive.

Gees, I really dont know. I think in answering this I am simply just answering my OWN questions. I guess i just read it and felt that a few things i have experienced myself. In particular the sleep thing, which is something I am really trying to sort out. because I feel the longer my bad sleep habits go on for, the longer they take to break.

hope this may spark an idea of your own, and please take what I say with a pinch of salt, given it is 1.30am. (unsurprisingly :) )

David

ps. will at some stage start a 'hello' post introducing myself, instead of rambling through the night like an illiterate monkey.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 10:04:07 am »
ops i put it all in a quote!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 03:06:00 pm »
Just edit it.  You have 24 hours.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 03:07:15 pm »

Try not watching TV beginning 5pm.
Try changing your lights to warm colored lamps.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk