Author Topic: Amazing beef suet  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Amazing beef suet
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:37:29 pm »
Public service announcement: This is the time to buy suet, either from cattle that were recently slaughtered or from other ruminant animals that have not been fed grain. They have been on lush young grass for the last few months, so the fatty acid profile of their lipid tissue is as good as it's going to get (best Omega 3 : Omega 6 ratio you'll see all year). As the summer progresses, grasses will mature and head, making their leaves and stems more fibrous and less nourishing to cattle and other ruminants. These animals will also happen to eat the grass seeds that develop, which will push their fatty acid profiles to favor Omega 6 fatty acids, like grain-fed cattle's lipid tissue does.

I just scored about 8 pounds of luscious suet from a grass fed operation near my home in Burlington, VT. I bought one small pack last week to taste test to make sure it was good and not all dry and crumbly, and it was exquisite. The fat was moist, chewy, and satiating, so I emailed the woman right away and told her to save all that she had from that cattle for me. I picked it up earlier today at the farmers' market for $3 per pound. That's an amazing price when you think about it. Fat contains about 9 kcal per gram, which means that at a price of $3 per pound I'm paying about 7 cents per 100 kcals, or about $1.50 for every 2,000 kcals. That's so cheap! And for such high quality food!

The woman who sold me this fat will be sending another steer to slaughter in early July, and I asked her to save the fat from that animal for me too. Another grass farmer will also be saving me backfat and suet from a couple animals he's sending to slaughter mid-July. The warmer, rainy spring we've had in VT has made this an amazing year for grass farmers, although haying has been tricky because of all the moisture. I'm looking forward to stocking up on amazing quality fat, in addition to the many jars of bear fat I still have from last fall.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing beef suet
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 11:09:25 pm »
I had the butcher add additional fat to the supermarket beef hearts I bought and was surprised they did it for free. Do you think there are any health benefits to suet fat over regular fat? Got a feeling that they would charge extra if I got picky and specifically asked for suet.  Hope to be able to afford grass fed some day.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 03:06:29 am »
I did some googling and couldn't find anything on which is better, suet or regular fat. I looked up gristle and cartilage, ( which actually contains collagen, a protein,)  and I think they may have some added benefits to fat; so I'm guessing that plain old fat is just as good if not probably better than suet (if it contains collagen) and that the difference is mainly in texture and taste.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:14:19 am by surfsteve »

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 04:57:08 am »
Suet contains a fair amount of connective tissue. It's the fat deposit taken from the body cavity, by the kidneys. As opposed to fat scraped from the back of the animal beneath the skin.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 05:08:52 am »
Suet is loved by some but not all. For some very strange reason, I always quickly got yellow diarrhea after eating any raw suet, thus implying that my body refused to absorb any nutrients from it, regardless of how high-quality/grassfed the raw suet was.Of course, others truly thrive on raw suet, I just mean that there are other fatty alternatives such as raw marrow and raw tongue and raw brains. I even like the white fat on raw leg of lamb.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 07:29:01 am »
I seem to do well on a high fat diet. Can eat tons of the stuff. Any kind. Never bothers me.

Organ meats contain a lot of fat. Especially if you don't trim them. Some organs like sweet breads are almost entirely fat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk