Author Topic: Is juicing paleo? What about alcoholic fruits?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Is juicing paleo? What about alcoholic fruits?
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:00:32 pm »
I made some cherry juice from fresh cherries last night thinking it was paleo but when I woke up this morning I was thinking about it and there obviously wasn't any practical way to juice fruit in paleo times. Ok maybe from fruits like fresh squeezed orange juice in the tropics or just a couple of drops from squeezing a cherry or some other fruit but by and large I don't see any way it could have been a significant part of their diets.

More than likely most of the excess fruit that existed in those days was left on the trees and vines till it fell off and/or rotted. I remember a video one time of monkeys eating fruit that rotted and turned to alcohol and actually getting drunk from it. I've tasted fruit myself that had gone bad and had a slight alcoholic taste. This makes me think that alcohol from fruit is paleo. Though it was only available in low concentration, for a short time when it was in season. It wasn't till man had made vessels that things like grain were fermented so I don't believe all alcohol is paleo. Only under rare conditions in low concentrations.

I suppose grain could have been fermented in an animal bladder or something before pottery so I could be wrong. But then grain isn't really paleo either. Is it?

Any thoughts?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Is juicing paleo? What about alcoholic fruits?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 12:03:53 am »
Prepared alcohol is certainly not Palaeo but Neolithic/agricultural in origin. Indeed, some scientists claim that agriculture only got started so that intensive farming could produce lots of fermented plant foods which could be turned into alcohol. Now, elephants and monkeys and many other animals do indeed go in for fermented fruit, sometimes in large quantities:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50tlF3kGbT4

I would say that it's OK to try out such fare in small amounts rarely(as in "hormesis") but hardly on a regular basis.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Is juicing paleo? What about alcoholic fruits?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:28:24 am »
I made some cherry juice from fresh cherries last night thinking it was paleo but when I woke up this morning I was thinking about it and there obviously wasn't any practical way to juice fruit in paleo times. Ok maybe from fruits like fresh squeezed orange juice in the tropics or just a couple of drops from squeezing a cherry or some other fruit but by and large I don't see any way it could have been a significant part of their diets.

More than likely most of the excess fruit that existed in those days was left on the trees and vines till it fell off and/or rotted. I remember a video one time of monkeys eating fruit that rotted and turned to alcohol and actually getting drunk from it. I've tasted fruit myself that had gone bad and had a slight alcoholic taste. This makes me think that alcohol from fruit is paleo. Though it was only available in low concentration, for a short time when it was in season. It wasn't till man had made vessels that things like grain were fermented so I don't believe all alcohol is paleo. Only under rare conditions in low concentrations.

I suppose grain could have been fermented in an animal bladder or something before pottery so I could be wrong. But then grain isn't really paleo either. Is it?

Any thoughts?

Yes, juicing isn't "paleo".
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk