Author Topic: Juicing - maybe paleo  (Read 4813 times)

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Juicing - maybe paleo
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:54:27 am »
Good evening ladies and gents,

I've been thinking about modes of hydration. Right now I'm on RPD month 2 1/2. Thus far I have been drinking nothing but raw milk. However, I am a little suspicious of milk, despite the fact that I love it so much and have had no problems with it. So I've decided to cut down on milk and find some other source to hydrate me. I've gone through most of the day without milk and have gotten thirsty. I've tried to satisfy my thirst with raw eggs, carrots, celery and meat, but to no avail. Then I instinctively chewed up a carrot piece in my mouth, sucked out its juice, and then spat out the chewed up solid pieces. As a result, I felt much more hydrated. This suggests to me that juicing would be available to a paleo human, in the sense that all this human has to do is chew up a fruit or vegetable and then spit out the solid remains... So I think I'll be buying a juicer, and now the question is which one, because sucking vegetables/fruit is a mess.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Juicing - maybe paleo
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:00:45 am »
Sucking on fruit or vegetables and spitting out the pulp is paleo but using a juicer is definitely not.

Take it from someone who had bought and used a lot of juicers. The Hamilton Beach Big Mouth is the one you want. It is the very best juicer for the money. Gives you just as much juice as the really expensive ones and is a bit faster and easier to clean.

Here is a link to a re-manufactured one for under 25 dollars including shipping but you'll have to act fast because this is the only one. Otherwise they start at about fifty bucks which is still a great deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00HXKG6D0/ref=sr_1_6_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1502247254&sr=8-6&keywords=hamilton+beach+big+mouth

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:05:27 pm »
Juicing is not palaeo, water is, and the most hydrating. Mineral water from mountain streams/springs is the best, with the highest quality being  c.7.8 PH  to 8.5 PH value(ie alkaline).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 12:37:40 am »
Typing on a computer is not paleo either! We all make adjustments in our own ways...

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 03:06:38 am »
Typing on a computer isn't related to diet!
Eating raw paleo doesn't mean you have to be dressed in animal's skins, sleep in a cave and hunt in band with spears.  ;D
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 04:09:11 am »
That's sort of my point. Juicing with a juicer as opposed to chewing on it to get the juice out and spitting out the pulp isn't related to paleo diet anymore that talking about paleo diet on a computer is. The only thing different is the way it's done and the fact that you are more likely to get a lot more juice than anyone ever consumed in paleo times. A cave man could have drummed out an order for Domino's Pizza but he wouldn't have gotten one in 30 years let alone 30 minutes or less!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 04:19:02 am »
Typing on a computer is not paleo either! We all make adjustments in our own ways...
The further we go away from our palaeo origins the worse we end up. Not just in terms of diet, but in a myriad other ways. For example, tribes are the natural form of human government not nations. I am not advocating that we should all  wear animal-skins and sleep in caves and hunt animals with spears, but, come to think of it, this would indeed greatly help mankind. Sleeping in cold caves would harden the survivors, while killing off some of the weaker elements, why wear animal-skins when Palaeo-era humans would just have gone around naked all the time, and hunting animals with spears would have forced humans to be more in touch with Nature- after all, killing your own food means that unnatural dogmas such as veganism can be snuffed out.Granted, Upper Palaeo types did seem to wipe out the megafauna near the end of the Palaeolithic era, but, as Iguana said, this may have been the result of the millenia of unnatural cooked food consumption since c.350,000 BC., corrupting human instincts, warping them.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:23:47 pm »
That's sort of my point. Juicing with a juicer as opposed to chewing on it to get the juice out and spitting out the pulp isn't related to paleo diet anymore that talking about paleo diet on a computer is. The only thing different is the way it's done and the fact that you are more likely to get a lot more juice than anyone ever consumed in paleo times. A cave man could have drummed out an order for Domino's Pizza but he wouldn't have gotten one in 30 years let alone 30 minutes or less!

A lot more juice,,, that's the point.   Too often we have the notion the more the better.  Iguanas point may well be that by juicing you are bypassing the bodies instinctual ability to know how much is enough.  You can try it for yourself.   Take just about any green veg and eat it piece by piece until it no longer gives an attraction.  Youlll notice you dont get too far.   But the amount one can gulp down in a green drink can be quite  a lot.     

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 02:05:34 pm »

A lot more juice,,, that's the point.   Too often we have the notion the more the better.  Iguanas point may well be that by juicing you are bypassing the bodies instinctual ability to know how much is enough.  You can try it for yourself.   Take just about any green veg and eat it piece by piece until it no longer gives an attraction.  Youlll notice you dont get too far.   But the amount one can gulp down in a green drink can be quite  a lot.     
van makes a good point. A lot of RVAFers have complained of ill-health/nutritional-deficiencies etc. after consuming too much raw veggie juice every day for months  and years, the idea being that juicing not only makes the nutrients in the raw veg more bioavailable but also the antinutrients as well.
" Ron Paul.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 12:42:56 am »
It sounds like we're all pretty much in agreement here.

It's not the juice that isn't paleo it's the quantity most people that juice consume. As someone that has done a lot of juicing I know that I feel great if I don't go overboard but I feel like I am suffering from malnutrition when I consume too much raw vegetable juice.

I agree with Tyler. I think it's because of the antinutrients. A little bit of antinutrients are good for you but too many will prevent you from absorbing the nutrition in your food. It's the dose that makes the poison.

If you eat your fair share of vegetables there is no reason to juice but it would probably be good for someone who refuses to eat them. I think someone that hasn't been eating enough of them for years would greatly benefit from juice fasting for a while.

If I had to take a guess on quantity based on my experience: I'd say an 8 ounce glass a day would do wonders; but a quart a day is pushing it, and  a half a gallon a day; as for instance someone intending to replace their water intake with juice, would put you well on your way to malnutrition. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk