Author Topic: Melon/watermelon seeds - safe to consume?  (Read 3102 times)

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Melon/watermelon seeds - safe to consume?
« on: August 25, 2017, 11:44:23 pm »
Are melon/watermelon seeds safe to consume? Is there any benefit to doing so?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Melon/watermelon seeds - safe to consume?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 01:05:19 am »
Are melon/watermelon seeds safe to consume? Is there any benefit to doing so?
Well, I've eaten them whole many times and had no problems. I hear all the time about apple seeds etc. containing tiny amounts of cyanide or whatever, but I've never heard of people suffering from eating vast amounts thereof.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 12:26:20 pm »
Yes watermelon seeds are edible and nutritious. 

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 11:12:40 pm »
Why is talking about watermelon seeds in carnivorous ok but talking about supplements in the bodybuilding forum moved to hot topic. NOT FAIR!

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 12:44:48 am »
I agree it shouldn't be left here.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:04:50 am »
Generally when we look at seeds, grains, legumes, etc, we should keep in mind that the plants producing these don't want them to be eaten unless they can be swallowed whole in such a way that they pass undigested. Therefore the plants will always put some kind of poison in them, to deter animals from eating them in such a way that they are destroyed and can't germinate.

Plants also do this with their leaves, roots and all other parts of the plant that are not the fruit or pollen/nectar.

Domestication of plants has meant that we can choose from among those plants which have the lowest toxin loads in their wild forms, and reduce them even more through careful selective breeding.

However, I think we should still exercise caution when consuming these foods, and we should probably limit their intake.

Apple seeds won't harm you much if you eat the seeds from one apple, particularly if you eat them by accident, since you might not even be crushing the seeds with your teeth. If you're eating the seeds that have been taken from a few thousand apples, however, and not actually eating the apples in themselves, you could be in trouble.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk