Author Topic: Different ways to make high meat  (Read 3855 times)

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Different ways to make high meat
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:46:14 am »
Hello,

I'm contemplating different methods to make high meat. The one I learned from AV is to put meat in a jar, refrigerate, and then air every 3-4 days. I'm wondering if that yields a different result from, say, leaving it outside of the refrigerator or even leaving the meat in open air? Any experience/theory on this?

It seems that some features that will be affected by the choice of process are:
- speed of the fermentation
- amount of insects in one's food
- flavor(?)
- molecular/chemical composition of final product(?)
- smell

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Different ways to make high meat
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:36:33 pm »
I  did it during the cold British winter on the window-sill and got no insects. Trouble is, the smell of fermenting meat is difficult to get rid of if one is in a flat. Plus, I got used to the smell over time and no longer noticed it, unlike various junk-food-eating acquaintances. Fermenting high-meat outside the fridge  during summer means lots of problems with insects. Since I am still squeamish re eating live maggots, I would be forced to put the high-meat in a sealed plastic container within another sealed plastic container-box and then bury it in the ground as well. I would then quickly open the inner container to the air for a couple of minutes once a day, and that was fine as it  was within a very large garden.

Speed of fermentation  in summer was very fast, me being able to eat the meat within 2 days or so, I think(?). Flavour/smell was the same either way. Putting it in the fridge just seems less hassle, imo.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:26:19 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 02:59:44 am »
What is the purpose of airing high meat?

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 05:49:31 am »
To help prevent it becoming anaerobic.

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 01:49:40 am »
What's wrong with anaerobic

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:51:41 am »
What's wrong with anaerobic
Botulinism. Eskimoes appear to have suffered from botulinism as a result of storing raw meat in anaerobic environments, such as under rocks. I used to store vacuum-packed raw meats in the fridge for many days, and, usually after  c.7-10 days, the meat tasted very nasty indeed due to anaerobic bacteria gaining ground.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline slevin

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 06:04:06 am »
So in -40 here in Canada, if I was to bury high meat in glass, within glass and then port a tube for constant air (with a fine screen) through the soil, would that work?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk