Author Topic: Newbie from Illinois  (Read 3247 times)

Offline xEdgexRNx

• Forager
    • View Profile
Newbie from Illinois
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:23:17 am »
Hi everyone!

My name is Shelby and I'm a 23 yr old nurse who is trying to transition into this diet.  Having bee vegan for years and experiencing horrible health from it, I decided it's time for a change (I suffer from horrible digestive issues, malabsorption, and difficulty gaining wt).  I began adding eggs a few years ago, then poultry and fish.  I still wasn't feel that great, probably due to processed foods.  Just recently, I began to follow Matt Stone's 180DegreeHealth diet, which is mainly based on fats, moderate protein and starch.  Still, not feeling 100%, thus came the interest in Raw diet.

Any suggestions on diet plans and advice on how to successfully transition would be awesome!

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie from Illinois
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:00:29 pm »
Hi Shelby!

I'm kinda new here, and with similar background as you described.

There is so much experience here, so I'm sure you'll get some great advice that you're seeking.

I look forward to sharing of experiences with you here :)

Ioanna

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:25:50 am »
Hi Shelby,
I was vegan for almost 20 years and had the poor health to prove it.  Over the past 8 years or so I've completely turned around and I'm now completely carnivorus, in other words Zero Carb.  What a difference.  I'm 58 and feel like I did in my 30s.  All significant health problems have completely disappeared or dramatically improved.  Even my enlarged prostate that had me up every 1 to 2 hours all night long is better and I'm consistently getting 4 hours of sleep at a stretch.

I eat only grass fed beef, bison, deer, or elk (red meats) with a fat content of about 65 to 70 percent of calories (15 to 20 percent by weight).  I only drink water - no fruit juice, soda, tea, or coffee.

You might find my journal on this forum interesting and helpful.  Feel free to ask questions.  We all have differring opinions which will give you lots to research and think about.  If you want to be successful you must think of this as a long term committment.  It will take you a good bit of time to adjust, both your body, and your way of thinking.  If you stick with it, you'll find something that both works and you're comfortable with. 

Think evolutionary rather than revolutionary,

Lex

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:07:35 am »
Hi Shelby!

Yeah, I live right in Chicago by Wrigleyville. I've had digestive issues as well. I came down with Ulcerative Colitis in February of 2008. The first advice I got was to go raw vegan. I got worse very quickly. Eventually by eating all meat and eliminating plant foods I got better.

I would definitely eliminate starches if I were you. I think I came down with UC because I way overdid it on starches. I used to to think it was healthy to workout intensely and eat a bunch of pasta. The pasta caused a lot of damage inside me. 

I've been getting my meat/organs from this farmers market:

http://www.chicagogreencitymarket.org/

I really think you will get lots of good information that will help you from this forum. I know I have.

Rob

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:28:44 pm »
Hi everyone!

My name is Shelby and I'm a 23 yr old nurse who is trying to transition into this diet.  Having bee vegan for years and experiencing horrible health from it, I decided it's time for a change (I suffer from horrible digestive issues, malabsorption, and difficulty gaining wt).  I began adding eggs a few years ago, then poultry and fish.  I still wasn't feel that great, probably due to processed foods.  Just recently, I began to follow Matt Stone's 180DegreeHealth diet, which is mainly based on fats, moderate protein and starch.  Still, not feeling 100%, thus came the interest in Raw diet.

Any suggestions on diet plans and advice on how to successfully transition would be awesome!

Here are a couple of useful links for newbies:-

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/sticky-advice-for-newbies-wishing-to-slowly-ease-into-a-raw-animal-food-diet/

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/where-to-buy-cheap-raw-animal-food(please-don't-post-in-this-thread!)/

I also was a former Raw Vegan(and then Fruitarian) before going in for raw animal food diets. Here's my testimonial(as you can see I went down rather a lot of dietary routes(raw vegan/fruitarian/hay diet/cooked palaeo diet/instincto/raw zero-carb) before  finally finding that a raw low-carb approach worked best for me, in the end.

http://old.rawpaleodiet.com/geoff-purcell/

The journey to health can be a long one for some, given the nutritional deficiencies caused by raw vegan diets, the ill-health gained from consuming toxin-rich cooked foods, but if you stick with it, you'll find you'll get there, in the end.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk