Author Topic: Cooked tubers - healthy or unhealthy?  (Read 5982 times)

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Cooked tubers - healthy or unhealthy?
« on: December 25, 2017, 01:03:29 am »
It looks like the consensus on the forum regarding cooked meats is that they are cancerous and toxic.

How about tubers, or more specifically, potatoes? Are there any scientific studies concerning the effects cooked tubers on health? I am having cravings for mashed or steamed potatoes and I'm wondering if there is something to these cravings. Since I've been raw for about 6 months, I suspect that I am missing something in my diet.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Cooked tubers - healthy or unhealthy?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 01:16:26 am »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3704564/table/T1/

Bad idea. I had a heated discussion with a dietary orthorexic once, a PalaeoPhil, who claimed that tubers, even cooked tubers were fine for humans to eat. I pointed out a study that showed that even his favourite Hadza tribe far preferred meats over tubers as the latter were considered very poor, last-resort foods on a nutritional basis:-

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.21040/full
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Apani

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 01:34:55 am »
What do you say about soups?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 01:51:58 am »
I would say that there are better things to eat than potatoes, but there are worse things too. They're cheap calories, so if you're poor, then sure, potatoes can be a useful thing to have as the cornerstone of your diet. They're better than wheat, for example, since they don't have gluten.

If you have to eat potatoes, some methods of cooking are better than others. Frying and baking are quite bad, as they chemically create toxins in the potatoes. But eating potatoes raw isn't so good either, as potatoes contain alkaloids that can cause harm if consumed consistently. They build up in the body. If you want to eat potatoes, I'd steam them, or, as was mentioned, boil them in soups or stews.

Other tubers you can eat raw more easily, without having to worry about alkaloids so much. Sweet potatoes are like this, and Jerusalem artichokes are great raw. If you can gain access to these tubers, they can be a calorie-rich dietary cornerstone that can be eaten raw.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 04:20:37 am »
There is a blossoming mainstream concept that any grains, beans or nightshades including potatoes should be avoided at all cost because they contain lectins which can lead to leaky gut syndrome. Cassava is another must be cooked tuber that is even cheaper than potatoes and higher in calories while having a lower score on the glycemic index. 46 to 85 to be exact.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 06:11:49 am »
Cassava even contains cyanide in it.

Things like soup or tubers, if carefully chosen, are fine for WAPF-style dieters who like to eat a semi-raw/semi-cooked diet, but, ideally, RVAFers are best suited to eating 100% raw, especially at first. This has nothing to do with a search for perfection or whatever. It is just that there are slightly different digestive processes required for raw and cooked foods, and combining them can slo mean the human body stays in a constant detox mode in order to get rid of the toxins in the cooked portion of the diet.

As Eric said, steaming/cooking in  water does reduce the amounts of heat-derived toxins from cooking, so it is a less worse form of cooking.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 09:33:13 am »
I meditated on my cravings for potato. I got to thinking that maybe it's not the potato I am craving, but rather the butter or salt that is rubbed on it. I don't usually eat butter so I went ahead and obtained some. I enjoyed it and it looks like the cravings have decreased, but maybe it's a craving for salt now.

There is a blossoming mainstream concept that any grains, beans or nightshades including potatoes should be avoided at all cost because they contain lectins which can lead to leaky gut syndrome. Cassava is another must be cooked tuber that is even cheaper than potatoes and higher in calories while having a lower score on the glycemic index. 46 to 85 to be exact.

I eat something like 4 tomatoes a day. I haven't had any problems so far, so maybe there's more to understand about nightshades.

What do you say about soups?

I've seen some raw soup recipes online... but they look all vegetarian and not very appetizing

Offline dair

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 08:00:09 pm »
If one really wants to eat some cooked starches, white/irish potatoes are not the best choice: I do not push anyone to eat anything cooked, but I do sometimes, and the best, most satisfying starches for me are: roasted/steamed chestnuts, my absolute favorite (somehow a nut/fruit), pumpkin, and sweet potatoes, sometimes other tropical tubers... the Kitavans, a tribe eating a lot tubers, seem quite healthy. As I said, I do not push anyone here, I just like to keep my eyes open.

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 06:23:03 am »
The trouble I am having is that I just don't want to eat the food that I have, but I am still hungry.
The food I have is mostly meats, fish and fruit. Fruit doesn't assuage hunger and I am feeling a strong reluctance to eat meat/fish. So I am looking for other foods (besides bugs, which take effort to catch/buy).

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 11:00:13 am »
Sounds like you need more fat from what you said earlier. I most eat 20% fat ground beef or fatty cuts like chuck roast, short ribs, Delmonico when I can get them. Lean cuts just aren't satisfying, lean ground beef is not satisfying like 20-25% fat beef.

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 09:37:37 am »
I've decided to eat more butter and to make smoothies, Aajanus style. In theory all cravings should be gone since I'll be stuffed.

Offline Xisca

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 05:46:32 am »
maybe it's a craving for salt now.

I've seen some raw soup recipes online... but they look all vegetarian and not very appetizing
Salt bring very important minerals for balance!

I use vegetarian recipes, they are good, I just add the meat in them!

I use broth, though cooked, just to remove all the bits from bones and get minerals from the bones are cartilage, and I love to make broth infusions! Raw onions are wonderfull for this, also coliflower... carrot....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk