Author Topic: Wild Fruit  (Read 2996 times)

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Wild Fruit
« on: May 27, 2009, 10:39:58 pm »
I do best on low to very low carb. Having two cartons of VitoCoconut water yesterday (about 30gs of sugar) was enough to show me this. And for this reason I dont eat much in the way of modern/cultivated fruit. Wild/uncultivated fruit however is something I am no so quick to rule out......

Here is a nice website of some wild fruits in the uk. I am yet to research if they are native to uk/europe, but I suspect at least some are.

http://cabd0.tripod.com/cabsmushroompage/id4.html

I plan to go for whatevers ripe and in season, and maybe dry (at a very low temp) some, then powder, to make a decent supplement to my animal fat/meat/organ etc diet.

Let you know how it goes.... :)

David

Offline fishercat

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:05:48 pm »
Hey, I recommend the book Plants for a Future. It has info about many wild fruits in Britain. My favorites in Sweden include red currants, sea buckthorn, sloes, bilberries, and lingonberries. Some of these grow in Britain too.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 06:19:19 pm »
I wouldn't sweat the wild cultivated thing too much...don't see that a wild blackberry is that different from an organic blueberry.

I think the point is that berries have lower GL value than bigger cultivated fruit, and more bang for the buck nutrients/sugars.

But yeh, you can get loads of bramble fruits in season and they taste great!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:30:13 pm »
I wouldn't sweat the wild cultivated thing too much...don't see that a wild blackberry is that different from an organic blueberry.

I think the point is that berries have lower GL value than bigger cultivated fruit, and more bang for the buck nutrients/sugars.

But yeh, you can get loads of bramble fruits in season and they taste great!

Granted, given the overurbanisation of most western countries, it's kind of difficult to indulge solely on wild fruits. That said, the wild fruits I've eaten have a much better taste than organic fruits, indicating that they have a much better nutrient-profile by comparison. Same goes for wild animal meats. Not only does wild game taste better as they've not been heavily inbred over generations like domestic cattle etc., but wild game also feeds on a much healthier range of foods, which further enhances the nutrient-profile.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk