Author Topic: Honey  (Read 7423 times)

Offline fishercat

• Forager
    • View Profile
Honey
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:27:53 am »
How does everyone fell about honey? I just finished up a course about bees and while working with them I ate it a lot straight from the hives. I actually gained some really unwanted weight in my belly and I have canker sores. Yeah, not so much fun. I don't think it will be a regular part of my diet. I noticed my teachers were not big honey eaters, but I've met so many people who looked great who eat it...

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Honey
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:21:17 am »
I love raw honey, but the onset of IBS symptoms happens so fast so I don't eat it anymore :(

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:05:48 am »
Same here. It was the last carb-rich food I gave up. It kept bringing my Ulcerative Colitis back.

It's too bad too because I love the stuff. I just had to admit to myself that it was doing me no good.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 04:06:23 pm »
If you're talking about real good honey it's quite easy to overconsume it, so I try to control myself
But when I haven't got seasonal local berries or some other good fruits the honey is the best source of carbs
without it, for over the half of the year, I wouldn't eat practically any carbs
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 04:58:07 pm »
I don't view raw honey as that healthy as over the years I've built up  food-intolerances to it. That said, if one is consuming genuinely raw honey(most UK liquid raw honey products I've bought in the past were undoubtedly not raw, due to lax UK regulations) or, preferably, raw honeycomb, then it might well be useful for some.

Whatever the case, raw honey would have been rarely available in eras prior to the advent of agriculture, so it should be consumed sparingly.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 09:09:20 pm »
Tyler, so what kinds of carbs would you suggest to eat during colder months and when there is no local fruits? Buy some foreign ones? It's definitely not paleo and the foreign ones have got quite a lot of chemical additives

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:28:12 pm »
I'm not Tyler, but could you freeze berries etc for the winter? Also the list below shows the most/least contaminated fruits. I think anything you peel the skin off is better. Pomegrantes are supposed to be pretty good for you, but expensive I know.

http://www.foodnews.org/fulllist.php

How do you make the word into a link on here?

J

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 12:43:38 am »
Tyler, so what kinds of carbs would you suggest to eat during colder months and when there is no local fruits? Buy some foreign ones? It's definitely not paleo and the foreign ones have got quite a lot of chemical additives

My question is, why do you feel you need them?  If our paleo ancestors living in your region ate carbs, they could only have done so when they were in season.  Why should you behave differently?

Lex

Offline fishercat

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 01:18:50 am »
My question is, why do you feel you need them?  If our paleo ancestors living in your region ate carbs, they could only have done so when they were in season.  Why should you behave differently?

Lex

There are local paleo carbs here in Sweden in the winter that I consume. Lingonberries stick around into December, for example. So do juniper berries. Hazelnuts store well. The Sami  (yes, I know, not really paleo) sometimes make a brew of spruce needles that provides some vitamin C.

Berries can be frozen or dried. I actually kept some that I harvested in late autumn in a wooden box and left it outside and they tasted good.

I read Make Prayers to the Raven, which is about a tribe that lives in Alaska. Their winter sources are similar to what is found here. A few berries, some conifer products. But really, they were considered more medicine (or flavoring) than food.

Some of the edible berries used here in Sweden by the Sami are poisonous in large amounts or require boiling.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 01:31:41 am »

Lex

They're just so addictive, one taste or cheat and my cravings go through the roof for the next few days.

I just have to say no to carbs...and have nothing in the house and after a while that crazy feeling goes away.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 01:57:40 am »
Lex
Maybe my paleo ancestors lived in some hot regions? I don't know
I don't say that I must eat carbs every single day - there are some days when my menu consists only of meat and fat and that's ok
Yet I've got quite similiar opinion about carbs as Tylor so I don't cut them off

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 02:09:57 am »

Like the guy from sweden said, carbs can still be got in winter, though not summer fruits, and I recall the Inuit as having frozen or dried berries for winter-consumption.

I tend to agree that local produce is better. That's why I go for samphire/radishes/pears etc. when in season . On the other hand, we are all spoilt for choice these days so I do buy organic fruit from abroad(which has no chemicals on it).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk