Author Topic: Sour beef liver, SAFE?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline sarmed

• Forager
    • View Profile
Sour beef liver, SAFE?
« on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:01 am »
When beef liver's taste turns sour is it safe to consume?

I had it sit outside of the fridge for 2 days in a bag with its  juices with it, and it is kinda warm in my apartment,

So did it turned to high meat, or I'm I going to die from eating it or something? lol

Offline Dingeman

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sour beef liver, SAFE?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 07:20:15 pm »
It depends, if it's in a plastic bag then I wouldn't eat it once it has gone sour. That means that the meat has been sitting long enough to react with the plastic. Raw liver turns sour after 3-4 days in the fridge, always. But if you stored the raw liver in a glass bowl then it should still be safe for consumption, though tasting sour.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:55:38 pm »
RVAFers try to avoid leaving raw meat in plastic, especially raw liver as it goes liquid etc. much faster after aging. Eskimoes are rumoured to get botulinism from storing raw meats under rocks without  exposure to oxygen. The idea being that no oxygen means exposure to anaerobic bacteria, which could lead to botulinism etc.  Re raw liver, I  have never eaten it if stored for more than 5 days within plastic in the fridge as it starts tasting rather toxic by then, 7-10 days for normal raw meats. But, ideally, I hardly ever have left them that long within plastic in the fridge.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sarmed

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:31:22 pm »
Thanks for replying guys;

Just wanted to update you....It was in plastic back, but I thought it would kill me or something since it got sour, you know the bacteria and such, but I'm fine 14 hours later. so all is good, I guess if it was already cooked and then got sour then it would be dangerous.

any ways I'll try to buy it in smaller batches, so it is fresh, cuz I've been buying big batch every 2 weeks so I don't have to drive a lot every often -it is 45 minutes drive to the butcher, quality meat are hard to find-.

So bottom line, "sour raw meat kills you" myth, debunked....learning so much in this journey

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk