Author Topic: Some wild salmon may be farmed salmon con  (Read 2373 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Some wild salmon may be farmed salmon con
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:27:41 pm »
It´s fairly easy to spot the difference between wild and farmed salmon. I´d say the guidelines would be the following:

1. Wild Salmon´s meat color is more red or has a deeper pink, while farmed is fairly light pink/orange.
2. Wild salmon is much leaner, u can see nearly no white fat lines compared to farmed ones where it´s all over.
3. Wild salmon is less oily. Farmed salmon meat is usually very oily.
4. Wild salmon meat is usually more tough. Whereas farmed is very softish.
5. Wild salmon taste is much more intense, which farmed one is not.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 12:08:22 am »
I read up a lot on wild vs farmed. The article Tyler posted didn't go into detail. The main imposters claiming their salmon is wild by far were restaurants with small mom and pop seafood stores coming in second. Almost none of the counterfeit salmon  came from large grocery store chains though I did see a really red piece at Walmart a few weeks ago that looked suspicious to me in the fresh fish section. Fortunately I can't afford to pay that much and buy mine frozen...

Wait: norawnofun is saying in his post that the wild salmon is more pink? I thought it was the opposite because of the red dye they put in their food. My frozen wild caught salmon is not as pink as farmed. Maybe it depends on the variety of salmon. Or maybe it doesn't look as pink when it's frozen. I been buying pacific salmon but the species isn't labeled on the package. Due to the introduction of red dye in their feed I don't think pinkness is a good gauge in determining wild caught anymore.

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 03:24:06 am »
No, I said that wild samon is more reddish. You misread my comment :) If you google picture search "wild vs farmed salmon" you can also clearly see the color difference. However, no surprise that they put dye in it to make it look like the original. But until now, even with the dye you can pretty much see the difference.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 12:57:09 am »
It seems in general that wild salmon are darker red than farmed salmon but that they both greatly range in color depending on species and diet.

From what I could find astaxanthin is what gives wild salmon it's natural color. The substance they put in the feed of farmed salmon is canthaxanthin.

Seems like both substances are very similar. When I google astaxanthin the results that come up attribute it to having health benefits.

Canthaxanthin mostly comes up for adding color. In addition to salmon and poultry it is also sold as a tanning supplement to bodybuilders though both substances are reported to have tanning effects.

I couldn't find anything negative about the health benefits of astaxanthin. Only good stuff. Though canthaxanthin is generally regarded as safe the natural foods that contain it are healthy but I could find no articles promoting taking it for health reasons directly. There was on article claiming it caused loss of vision in some people that used it on a long term basis for tanning but that it cleared up when they stopped taking it.

Would you eat gray salmon?

https://sleuth4health.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/would-you-eat-gray-salmon/

BRONZE ORGANIC

http://www.bodybuildingsupplements.com/canthaxanthin.html

Canthaxanthin Retinopathy with Visual Loss: A Case Report and Review
left eye

Right eye

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criopm/2013/140901/

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 02:57:50 am »
Interesting. Maybe the darker fishy is the more astaxanthin is in it. I had bought an astaxanthin supplement once. The reviews were glowing on amazon. Was very curious to try it out. But it had no positive effect on me. I even think it didn´t do me well. It is said that this substance is what makes fishes like salmon stronger, so they can swim upstream. People also reported that they didn´t get sunburned that easily anymore and that it gave them more energy. Gave it also to a friend once which had vision issues. But it didn´t do him well either and had no effect. Better stick to wholefoods. An asta supplement could have the same negative effects as cod liver oil has when it goes rancid and when taken for for longer periods. And these can be very severe in the long run.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk