Author Topic: Abdominal fat  (Read 12381 times)

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
Abdominal fat
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:44:39 pm »
Has anyone noticed on a raw carnivorous diet that abdominal fat, traditionally being the hardest place to remove fat, is the first to go? I'm noticing this. Seems that on a raw meat diet fat is more evenly distributed all over the body rather than causing you to be skinny with a gut.

Offline allmeatgirl

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Abdominal fat
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:48:30 am »
I'm not totally raw carnivorous yet. I eat my meat rare but my belly fat is still being very stubborn. I have been pretty much carnivorous since August 2008.   I have only lost 1" at the waist in the last 6 months.
Deb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 05:54:32 am »
I'm not totally raw carnivorous yet. I eat my meat rare but my belly fat is still being very stubborn. I have been pretty much carnivorous since August 2008.   I have only lost 1" at the waist in the last 6 months.

If you are a woman there are other factors.  Like how many children you gave birth do.  When was the last time you gave birth.  If you had a c-section delivery.  If you are still breast feeding.  Plus of course if you are using birth control pills or its derivative drugs.

But I see from your age profile, maybe we can just leave it at number of children you gave birth do and if you had a c-section delivery. :)
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:21:24 pm »
My thoughts

2 things

1) Are you losing weight in other areas? If you aren't you need to eat less. My original post wasn't mean to imply that you will automatically lose belly fat on this diet, rather that fat is stored and utilized more evenly over the body (eg storing 1000 calories would be stored 300 in gut, 300 in arms, 300 in legs, 100 somewhere else, for me from 1000 surplus calories 500+ would be stored in my gut when eating standard diet). IMO a calorie defect is still required for weight loss. Though I am already at a very light weight. This may make things different.

if you are losing weight all over except for your stomach see point 2

2) I was eating low/zero carb with grain fed cooked meat for some time, but it's obvious raw meat has much more positive effects for me even when compared to only lightly cooked or rare meat.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:28:35 pm by invisible »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:49:37 pm »
Many women have to go strict zero carb (meat and water only) to get rid of insulin resistant fat.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 05:40:31 pm »
Well, I tend to gain (and lose) weight first around the belly(I'm raw, low-carb). But I think that's normal for a man.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline razmatazz

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 05:18:32 am »
i used to have a 'pudgy' belly in my cooked food/junk eating days, then started eating raw/very low carb and i lost weight...becoming underweight for a couple of months...but these past few months i've gradually been putting on weight and am now at a healthy weight, and my abdominal fat is much less that it was before despite being pretty much the same weight (-1 or 2 pounds)..
Although, i think high intensity excercise has played an important part too...studies have indeed shown HIIT burns more abdominal fat than other exercise.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 07:34:17 pm »
Many women have to go strict zero carb (meat and water only) to get rid of insulin resistant fat.

Insulin-resistant fat?

Never heard of this. Please explain.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 08:55:46 am »
hey david,

I'm not sure how this works? Maybe someone else can explain it.

Albert Camus

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:52:27 pm »
Anyone?

I've never even heard the term "insulin resistant fat".
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 10:33:08 pm »
I did some research on the zero carb forum and it seems that when you lose fat you lose it all over the body equally not just certain areas. This is according to Taubes and some dudes tagging fatty acids.

Area's which people complain not losing from are just the largest fat deposits and the last to go only because they are larger.

So it's a myth. I'm sure Tyler and Guitarman will disagree though! LOL

Albert Camus

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 07:45:22 am »
I heard that large areas of fat deposits produce estrogen which encourages their growth.

Offline rafonly

• Buffalo Hunter
  • fpc=811
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 12:43:37 pm »

thanks for the  useful links, nicola

"However, fat is the last tissue to become insulin resistant. The original insulin/grocery stocker continues to allow triglycerides to be stocked into fat cells. When extra glucose is present in the blood, the insulin/grocery stocker allows some of the extra glucose to be stored as fat in the fat cells, too. So far, so good. But when the pancreas decides that our bodies need more insulin to function properly, the insulin/grocery stockers won't let customers take very much back out of the fat cells. Fat inventory increases, but is unavailable to be used by customers that might need it. At this point, insulin is starting to become your enemy."

"time & gradient precede existence", me

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 01:51:20 pm »
Your pancreas produces insulin to convert blood sugar - glucose - into either immediate energy useage, glycogen (which is a form of sugar stored in cells, ready for short bursts of strength), or fat; and it will do it in that order.  Each of your cells has receptors, which insulin (when present) will bind to.  This signals your cells to take in sugars and do one of those 3 things with them. 

In our modern society of carb overload, your cells lose many of those receptors in an attempt to keep the excess sugar out.  This happens slowly over the course of many years and is called insulin resistance.  However, it's very dangerous for you blood glucose (bg) to get too high, so your pancreas, in an attempt to keep bg levels in an acceptable range, produces even more insulin to force your cells to 'listen.'

Your liver cells are the first to become resistant.  Then your muscle cells follow, and finally your fat cells.  What this means is that as you progress towards greater insulin resistance, your fat cells still readily uptake that glucose and store as fat, while your liver and muscles tend to absorb much less of the load.  Suddenly putting on a considerable amt of fat over the course of a few months to a year is a sure sign that you are progressing through deeper stages of insulin resistance.  Ultimately your weight will stabilize (much higher) as your fat cells also become insulin resistant, but the next step is diabetes - exhaustion of the pancreas from years of overworking. 

Additionally, it seems the liver produces glucose from protein in the absence of dietary carbs, and apparently it will overproduce as a result of insulin resistance.         

Pretty much everyone in America is at differing levels of insulin resistance, even many of us who are RP and low carb.  It takes years to do, and it can take years to undo.  It is a glandular issue, and if there's one good over-arching rule about your endocrine system, it's that each sub-system, each gland, is highly inter-related with each  other.  Decades of poor dietary choices wreak havoc on the system as a whole - be it carbs and excess insulin, caffeine and excess adrenaline, steroids and excess testosterone, etc.  And to be sure, toxins from cooked meats play quite a role as well.  Healing and restoration of proper function can take a long time, and I'm convinced can't be done without plenty of raw animal foods.

It is no surprise that it may take awhile to shed some of that more stubborn fat - it may very well be indicative of a still damaged endocrine system.  Repair and restoration of tissues can take time, and I would guess, progresses in stages as the years go by.

Some things you can do to speed the process: exercise exercise exercise.  It is a fact that strength/resistance training will increase the insulin senstivity of your muscle and liver cells.  It is okay to eat some carbs after a strenuous workout.  What many people trying to lose fat make the mistake of doing is going for a long walk or light bike ride or something like that, thinking it will induce fat loss.  I mean, it will (slowly) in the sense that you are burning a few extra calories, but you have to get in an anaerobic state to get the insulin sensitivity response. 

This doesn't mean you have to go bench press 300 lbs or workout every day, but it does mean you need to get near muscle failure (where you can't do any more reps) multiple times for your large muscle groups over the course of 20-60 mins.  You can also combine with some cardio for the benefit of both worlds.  If you are new to training, ease in to it, once a week for the first few weeks, working your way up to 3 days a week of anaerobic exercise.  Be sure to take care of your joints, and go for higher reps, lighter weights, especially when starting off.

Additionally, that kind of exercise tends to enhance metabolism and prime your body for growth.  While I have not read anything that directly states this, it would make sense that this kind of response would put your body into a state that promotes regeneration in general - much how some people will gain upper body muscle, even if they only work their lower body.  The body is in a chemical state overall that promotes healing, cell division, and strengthening.

I'm fairly convinced that fat tends to store in certain areas for some people more than others, and can be difficult to get rid of.  Although this is usually related to the insulin/glucagon and other hormonal responses related to insulin resistance.  So even if on a low carb diet, you may still be recovering insulin sensitivity (along w/ other glandular functions), and may still have some stubborn fat.  A person on a low carb diet who has mostly healed their insulin resistance probably will not experience this much or at all. 

lol, so Wodgina, I guess I both agree and disagree.
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 04:48:38 pm »
Well, this link does seem to make it clear that fat-gaining-/fat-losing varies from person to person although there are clear gender-differences(men generally become apple-shaped and women pear-shaped). :-

http://www.hindu.com/lf/2005/04/28/stories/2005042802330200.htm

So it seems unlikely that people wouldn't have any differences re where they gained/lost their fat-layers while on zero-carb. Perhaps the confounding point is that on zero-carb people generally lose a hell of a lot of  fat(with 1 exception it seems if fat-intake is too high) so that they have virtually no fat-layers to begin with, anyway.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk