Author Topic: Taste of bone marrow  (Read 9802 times)

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
Taste of bone marrow
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:55:36 am »
Is it normal for bone marrow to taste and smell sweet? Got some conventional marrow and the taste and smell was great. Wonder if that´s normal.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Taste of bone marrow
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 12:20:25 pm »
"Stefansson also mentions, interestingly, that marrow from the upper leg(humerus and femur) is hard and tallowy at room-temperature while the marrow from the lower leg is soft and creamy. The Eskimoes, apparently, preferred to cook the harder marrow, but preferred to eat the softer marrow in raw form."
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Qondrar_The_Redeemer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 04:07:58 pm »
Is it normal for bone marrow to taste and smell sweet? Got some conventional marrow and the taste and smell was great. Wonder if that´s normal.
Why not? Albeit conventional animals are usually unhealthy which makes the marrow taste bad, healthy animals should for the most part have great tasting marrow. Just had some bloody marrow today which taste like a creamy cherry cake (at least if I'm remembering that right, otherwise I'll just say it tasted like some sort of cake I can't remember).

To be honest, it's hard to find much that tastes better than marrow. Most fat doesn't as good (there are exceptions, of course, but marrow is almost always better). I personally find liver (assuming it's fresh and sweet) to be the only thing as good as marrow, and I've tried a lot of organs, muscle and fat. Not that anything else is bad, but marrow is almost always just consistently very good in either taste, texture or both. Brain, egg yolks and some others are also very good, but eh, I still think liver and bone marrow are the best.

You say you got conventional marrow? By that you mean grain-fed/CAFO etc... animals?

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 05:41:33 pm »
I don´t know what the animal ate, but the diet of the animals here is in general not the best. It could be anything, but I doubt grass-fed lol. Do you think that marrow in any location has the same nutritional value? Thinking of the ribs marrow compared to leg marrow. I know there might be differences with texture. But about nutrition no clue. Cuz when I eat the ribs, why not crack the bones open to get the marrow?

And yeah, using marrow "butter" instead of dairy butter is something I will give a try. When I first smelled it yesterday I had this strong draw to it. A bit like cherry cake as Qondrar mentioned.  :) Also, it´s high in calories, so good if u wanna gain some weight I think.

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 09:00:13 am »
I don´t know what the animal ate, but the diet of the animals here is in general not the best. It could be anything, but I doubt grass-fed lol. Do you think that marrow in any location has the same nutritional value? Thinking of the ribs marrow compared to leg marrow. I know there might be differences with texture. But about nutrition no clue. Cuz when I eat the ribs, why not crack the bones open to get the marrow?

And yeah, using marrow "butter" instead of dairy butter is something I will give a try. When I first smelled it yesterday I had this strong draw to it. A bit like cherry cake as Qondrar mentioned.  :) Also, it´s high in calories, so good if u wanna gain some weight I think.
Well, certainly marrow that has a different texture and tastes differently is going to have a different nutritional profile. After all, that is what you are actually tasting. Although assuming the marrow is from healthy animals, even if there are some nutritional differences between bloody, creamy, chalky marrow and other types, they are all going to be both a great source of vitamins/minerals and calories. I would assume the bloody marrow would be the highest in vitamins/minerals.

There was this study done which shows the "Level of selected nutrients in meat, liver, tallow and bone marrow from semi-domesticated reindeer (Rangifer t. tarandus L.)": https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3417664/

It doesn't show the difference between different types of marrow, although it does give you some information about the general nutritional value of marrow.

If you are unsure what the animal ate, then you could have gotten lucky with a good animal.

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 04:51:37 am »
well, seems that it didn´t do me too well. puked it out in the eve. Maybe it was too conventional or too raw. Which is funny cuz i tend to think that when u kinda get drawn to a certain food that it should do u well. Not in my case. EIther I can´t digest raw foods well still, or it was just shitty quality even though it smelled and tasted well..

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 06:30:51 am »
bone marrow has always been slower to digest than back fat, in equal amounts.  Don't know why.  Thus it's an interesting experiment to eat bone marrow all by itself without any seasoning.   you might see as I do, that my desire for it quickly diminishes as I eat it. 

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 09:05:19 am »
well, seems that it didn´t do me too well. puked it out in the eve. Maybe it was too conventional or too raw. Which is funny cuz i tend to think that when u kinda get drawn to a certain food that it should do u well. Not in my case. EIther I can´t digest raw foods well still, or it was just shitty quality even though it smelled and tasted well..
Did you overeat the marrow? Marrow is (and seemed to be in your case as well) quite palatable, making it quite easy to overeat if you don't slow down, especially if it's your first time eating marrow (or you haven't eaten it recently), as it takes time for your body to adjust to eating larger amounts.

Of course, it could also just be the quality of the marrow. After all, bone marrow can be quite
bad for your digestion if was from an unhealthy animal. Although if it tasted alright, I would be surprised if it was actually the quality. Was this your first time eating marrow, and if not, have you tasted some quality marrow in the past, just to have a comparison between this and that?

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 04:18:04 pm »
I only used salt for seasoning, nothing else. When I cooked it properly and it became very soft I had no issue, but half raw I had. I also didn´t over on it. I just had one small piece which becomes tiny once cooked. Almost like oil. I could eat it only by itself, but I would only consider that when I will get a healthy source. I´m a bit fed of up experimenting and feeling like shit all the time :)

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 10:59:18 am »
I only used salt for seasoning, nothing else. When I cooked it properly and it became very soft I had no issue, but half raw I had. I also didn´t over on it. I just had one small piece which becomes tiny once cooked. Almost like oil. I could eat it only by itself, but I would only consider that when I will get a healthy source. I´m a bit fed of up experimenting and feeling like shit all the time :)
So you salted and cooked the bone marrow? No wonder it tasted fine, any grain-fed/CAFO etc... animal food which otherwise might potentially taste horrible or at least worse than grass-fed/wild game can always have its taste masked by cooking/salting/seasoning etc... There are studies, which have been done, which show that people prefer the type of meat they grew up with... some preferred grain-fed, some grass-fed. These were all done on cooked muscle meat, so it makes sense that grain-fed tastes a lot better cooked/salted/seasoned than raw, and this applies to organs as well.

In the case of bone marrow, I'd say it's much better if it's a good quality animal and if it's raw, unseasoned, just speaking taste wise and texture wise. Obviously not cooking it is better from every other perspective as well, including the ability to tell by taste (or at least in almost every case I've seen, but perhaps there are some exceptions, given that people may perceive taste in drastically different ways) the quality of the meat.

And you seemed to mention you can't digest raw foods well? If that is true (for muscle meat and other lean organs), then fat (including bone marrow) should be very digestible raw, as it is not digested in the same way as protein. That is assuming, of course, you also do not have a separate problem with the digestion of fats. I am curious, how do you know you can't digest raw foods well? What kind of self-experimentation/tests have you done?

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 05:32:59 am »
I found that salting bone marrow is a bad idea since it tastes very salty already. I can believe the studies about people that tend to eat things they grew up with. That makes sense. That might also be the reason why somebody can digest certain foods better than the other. If your ancestors grew up on a certain food you might then have this "taste-bud" gene in you as well, and that certain food might do you better than another. The reason why I can´t digest certain raw meats is due to the connective tissue. When you cook something (ideally boil) then that tissues is softened and much easier to break down by the stomach acid IF you have low stomach acid, which I have. I found that when I eat something overfried or cooked too chewy, then its the same issue as digesting raw meats. Liver was the worst. It was a desaster to eat raw. Raw beef (if cut too thick) was a problem too. Ground was better, since it´s already softened and the connective tissue torn apart. Digesting fats is an issue for me too. But I think I´m improving in both since starting the pure carnivore diet (animal foods only). My stomach acid is getting back slowly. But fats are the most important thing for me I have found. Too less fats, food gets blocked up and doesnt move, which means no hunger feeling and therefore no digestive juices get produced, so food can´t be broken down properly. Fats are the answer. Only problem is that the best fats are hard to get here. And if you get it´s all from very unhealthy animals.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk