Author Topic: Pasteurised dairy - bad habit?  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Mr_Sirloin

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Pasteurised dairy - bad habit?
« on: August 05, 2018, 01:08:40 am »
Hello everyone and I hope you are well!

Buying raw dairy in the UK is bank breaking so I started incorporating aged and fermented dairy products into my daily diet. This means kefir, soured milk and yogurt with occasional "fresh" pasteurised double cream.

I understand that these products are heat treated but at the same time have been wondering whether this is due to misinformation or exagerration. Pasteurisation doesnt exactly mean boiling, or heating for long periods. I find it hard to believe that such heat treatment is enough to totally kill a product and make it dangerous to health. Maybe im just trying to bullshit myself, but I would like to hear the opinions of others.
Is *really* that bad?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Pasteurised dairy - bad habit?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 01:20:28 am »
*I feel like weeping*  ??? :o >: :(    . I once bought raw liquid honey, stored in jars, in the UK. The toxic stuff caused me to have awful blood-sugar-related-problems that I only otherwise encountered when using salt in more than tiny amounts. Later on, I found out that UK government regulations allowed raw UK honey/honeycomb to be labelled as being "raw", so long as the honey was "only" heated up to 80 degrees Celsius for a "short while".

In other words, avoid dairy however raw, if you have any brains. Even so, I myself managed to easily check, via the Internet(while in the UK in London), endless numerous sources of raw dairy(not necessarily absolutely ALL types of raw dairy), and was able to buy them very cheaply indeed( as of 2010, 2 pounds 50 sterling for 1 litre of raw milk etc.).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 05:55:36 am »
Thats the thing, many honey products are labelled "raw honey" but they can be heated up to a certain amount. F pointless. I found that the best thing to do is to find a beekeeper (there are usually beekeeper associations) and buy the honeycombs from them, squash them yourself with lets say a potato squasher and you have everything in there. The propolis, royal jelly, bee pollen. Homemade true Superfood.. The honeycombs u can buy in shops are usually separated with heat into pieces, which renders the honey useless. The one I get is from crete, raw pine thyme honey. Research showed that its equal or better for certain bacterial infections than certain manuka grades, which btw the bees can´t produce anymore (at my time of research). I found that grade on ebay though, but for a crazy amounts of money.

Antibacterial activity of selected honeys from different origins against five different
bacterial species, determined by agar diffusion.  https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236684213_Antibacterial_potential_of_honey_from_different_origins_a_comparsion_with_Manuka_honey

I have been there personally and I can tell you that this type of honey is a different league. The one I got there was superior. It was from a restaurant which got it from a farmer from a certain cretan region. The guide also told us that this honey is famous for healing many illnesses. Thought he is full of shit but he was not. When I got 2 jars and took them back home you know it´s a different league. Half a teaspoon was enough and the feeling I got was emotional. Hard to describe. The one I buy now is still organic "commercial" but after tasting different brands my body can tell if it´s good or not. I also wrote to the producer asking if they heat the honey or if its purely made raw. Raw was the answer. Either way, if you have tasted other honeys you will KNOW and feel the difference. Shitty honey usually gives you a sugar rush, healing honey (if taken in half to max 1 teaspoon amounts) will give you a cleansing effect. First thing in the morning is something I would recommend. Without any other foods.

Regarding raw dairy it´s fairly easy to find in the uk. I once sent my other half to get some while she was there, and I found numerours raw dairy sellers, even the ones that sell "A2 products". There are certain markets in london, then there are certain places where you can only buy from the farm, but truly and honestly its very easy to get raw quality dairy from the UK mate, you just need to do ur research.

Offline Mr_Sirloin

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 12:33:21 am »
I was very unaware that heated honey can still be labelled raw. Wow, just a couple of days ago I read on the Rowse website who insisted their EU honey was raw...

Regarding raw dairy, its something I cannot afford because the delivery charges are stupidly high. In Manchester raw suppliers are few and far apart and I havent managed to find a local small scale farmer who can spare a few litres.
Alternatively, I consume Polish imported kefir, soured cream and jersey cow yogurt (longley farm). Im not sure whether raw is law when it comes to dairy, itd be nice to know that even commercial dairy can be of benefit, but if anybody in the community can offer a definitive explanation as to why raw dairy is the only way I will ditch commercial dairy before it kills me.

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05:22:40 am »
It´s not always on the label. You either need to check on the website or contact the seller/producer directly. And even then they can cheat. Best is to go to a farmer and get it directly from him. Imported kefir, as with all store bought kefir has nothing to do with the real kefir. Store bought kefir is made of conventional pasteurized dairy NOT made with kefir grains but with added probiotic bacterial (I assume powder form) strains, just like they add to yoghurt. It has nothing to do with kefir, shouldn´t even be allowed to be called like that. The only kefir is real kefir made of water or milk kefir grains. Water grains have much a much lower amount of probiotic bacterial strains though. I used them for some time, but then switched back to milk grains. U can order them on the internet easily. If you don´t have raw milk available then you can use at least organic pasteurized milk. But I don´t see a need of having kefir unless you have a very low bacterial activity in ur gut due to let´s say antibiotic use. Instead u can use high meat. Still, having it for some time is not a bad thing. I have times when I drink homemade raw goat kefir daily with every meal. For almost a year now. And it helps digestion a lot. But I had to make breaks in between. Might have been due to dairy, or the mixture with other foods. That I don´t know for sure.

Raw is law when it comes to dairy. I don´t see any benefits of commercial dairy, even organic pasteurized dairy. Let alone UHT dairy or powdered like they use in the coffee machines. Utter rubbish. There is too much info out there about the benefits of raw dairy. Raw dairy contains the enzymes that help you digest it. Heating milk kills them. Been used to heal people in ancient times and today. However, as it seems only A2 dairy was used such as Guernsey cows and goat milk. Google is ur friend. But even if raw, some people just can´t tolerate it. No matter what type of raw they have. Then again, some people might confuse the intolerance with a cleansing effect or detox. It´s sometimes hard to say.

I´d stay away from conventional raw milk, but I even drank that myself (jersey milk) every day for months with no ill effect, but instead it helped a lot. Anyhow, there are big differences when it comes to the type of dairy. Cows, Goat, Sheep, then at A1/A2 cows breeds. Some people on this forum say it messed them up, some people said it heals them (it does for me). However, I would be careful not to overeat or drink pasteurized dairy, since, as far as I understood, too much calcium can remove ur bodies calcium. I noticed that myself when I used too much pasteurized dairy (such as joghurt), my bones started to crack.

I think the best way to consume dairy is by drinking room temperature raw A2 (A2 cow breeds or goat and sheep) milk with a straw (so the milk sugar doesn´t effect the teeth), or consume kefir, since the grains eat the milk sugar to produce the kefir when you ferment it long enough. Then when you have parasites you need to watch as well, as they like to feed on milk. So you would need to counteract by e.g. having raw honey (apparently certain herbs work too) with or after the milk, first lure them, then kill them so to speak. Dairy is such a huge topic that it would take a while to summarize all the benefits and negatives. But I would personally stop it if a) your bones start to crack after eating or drinking it and b) if you start to build up tartar on your teeth (even by using a straw) or c) you start to have stomach cramps or skin conditions (when u e.g. eat pasteurized or UHT). Forum Moderator TylerDurden made a big post about dairy once, listing all the negatives. You´ll find it with the search function. But I always recommend to read both, the good and the bad and see for urself. But one thing is for sure, pasteurized, UHT or powdered dairy is always bad in the long term.

Offline Mr_Sirloin

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 02:18:03 pm »
Thanks for the post and clarification on kefir. I will be coming off the stuff after experiencing some really bad sugar rush-like reaction among other things I'll spare describing.
Interesting that you mention tartar build up - I've never had to worry about this until dairy was involved.
Its a shame that what is easily available has to be absolute gammon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk