Author Topic: Ground beef.. (dry age or freeze it?)  (Read 6701 times)

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Ground beef.. (dry age or freeze it?)
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:51:39 pm »
I'll be ordering 8 days worth of grassfed ground beef, but the supplier says they only recommend it for 6 days in the fridge.

what should i do with the other 2 packages?

should i freeze them, 'dry-age' them in butcher paper or just keep them in the vacuum packaging??

Offline Raulik

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Ground beef.. (dry age or freeze it?)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:55:42 pm »
no theres no need to frreze it.. even if it stay 10 days nothing bad gonna happen lol just make it hang or switch sides everday..

If its ground nothing bad gonna happen too it will start predigest somewhat just let it fresh air every day 10min and put back

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 10:04:06 pm »
So should i wrap it in parchment paper instead of the vacuum plastic it comes in?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:23:27 am »
are you ordering ground due to a price reduction, if not,  suggest getting roasts (large chunks) and hanging them in your fridge and slicing each meal off when desired? It will age nicely that way.   

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:01:00 am »
yes grass fed ground beef is the cheapest i can get

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 03:34:51 am »
Also i forgot to mention the ground beef is vacuum sealed, so i assumed it would last at least a week or 2 :/

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 05:09:34 am »
Also i forgot to mention the ground beef is vacuum sealed, so i assumed it would last at least a week or 2 :/
For god's sake do NOT leave it in the fridge for too long  in vacuum-sealed form. That allows anaerobic bacteria to act on the raw meat, possibly causing botulinism. My general rule is to allow the raw meats to air. If I left them vacuum-sealed in the fridge in the past, I would never leave them for more than 5 days max before eating them, after experimentation. Basically, anything left vacuum-packed for 7+days usually left a very nasty taste in my mouth which was quite unlike the taste of raw, aged meat exposed to oxygen.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 05:20:18 am »
Thx for the warning, the butcher says it's fine for 6 days with ground meat.

I have vacuum rib eyes in the fridge from last week that are good until 4 september tho :/

So should i get the ground beef out of the vacuum and wrap them in parchment paper on a wooden plate? this allows enough air right?

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 06:34:53 am »
For god's sake do NOT leave it in the fridge for too long  in vacuum-sealed form. That allows anaerobic bacteria to act on the raw meat, possibly causing botulinism. My general rule is to allow the raw meats to air. If I left them vacuum-sealed in the fridge in the past, I would never leave them for more than 5 days max before eating them, after experimentation. Basically, anything left vacuum-packed for 7+days usually left a very nasty taste in my mouth which was quite unlike the taste of raw, aged meat exposed to oxygen.

Oh and why are the vacuum ribeyes i got still good until 4 september? i bought them last week.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 09:31:36 am »
Ignore dates on labels.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 06:19:39 pm »
Ignore dates on labels.

if botulism was a concern it wouldn't be legal to put those dates on there would it?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 10:50:57 pm »
if botulism was a concern it wouldn't be legal to put those dates on there would it?
They are assuming the meat will be cooked before consumption, so the bacteria would not be present in that case.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 11:00:14 pm »
well not really, because if i just sear the outside it would not destroy the botulism right?

botulism needs to be heated at 120°C all through the meat to destroy it, no one who sells rib eye will assume the consumer will cook it well done like that...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:12:46 pm by Paleoli-THICC »

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 12:51:08 am »
the point is not to mess around with sealed meat where anaerobic bacteria can flourish. Simple as that.  Plus it won't taste as good as air exposed stored meat. There others besides botulism.

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 12:54:25 am »
Yes i agree, but i prefer not to freeze it because it kills the beneficial bacteria.

so what should i do? keep it in the vacuum until the date and then put it on a wooden plate wrapped in parchment paper in the fridge?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 03:12:15 am »
I've never had to share a fridge before with other's stuff in there..  Maybe you could get a large covered container,  and break the meat apart into chunks, place them in the container, and take off the lid to get air twice a day, and ideally turning the chunks over each time. 
    Personally, I find ground beef a little hard to eat, as in, I don't care for the taste without having to disguise it with salt, pepper, etc.     thus I buy the cheaper roasts and thinly slice with a very sharp knife. 

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 03:27:26 am »
I've never had to share a fridge before with other's stuff in there..  Maybe you could get a large covered container,  and break the meat apart into chunks, place them in the container, and take off the lid to get air twice a day, and ideally turning the chunks over each time. 
    Personally, I find ground beef a little hard to eat, as in, I don't care for the taste without having to disguise it with salt, pepper, etc.     thus I buy the cheaper roasts and thinly slice with a very sharp knife.

Ok that sounds like the high meat method, can i use plastic containers for this too if it's only for a week?

What is different about the ground beef taste?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 06:52:38 am »
it tastes like mush in my mouth. But then some people like oatmeal.   I don't use plastic.  A large glass bowl with lid will work fine.  Maybe forget the lid and cover with cotton cloth, changing it out every couple of days.  Point is it sounds like you're worried about getting contaminants from the other foodstuffs in the fridge.  cloth cover would work then.    Are you sure you just don't to buy a small mini fridge to keep your meat in>

Offline RawBeef

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 07:13:02 am »
it tastes like mush in my mouth. But then some people like oatmeal.   I don't use plastic.  A large glass bowl with lid will work fine.  Maybe forget the lid and cover with cotton cloth, changing it out every couple of days.  Point is it sounds like you're worried about getting contaminants from the other foodstuffs in the fridge.  cloth cover would work then.    Are you sure you just don't to buy a small mini fridge to keep your meat in>

Thx for the ideas!!

yeah i'm getting a private fridge soon!

Offline Raulik

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 12:01:07 am »

anaerobic bacteria??

botulinism?

do tell more..

alao what will happen if i eat botulinism

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raulik

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 05:18:35 am »
What about "high meat" ?

so raw meat is bad and botulunism?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 05:44:21 am »
What about "high meat" ?

so raw meat is bad and botulunism?
High-meat is raw meat exposed to air, so is fine.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raulik

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 07:41:37 am »
High-meat is raw meat exposed to air, so is fine.

and if its not exposed to air then its deadly?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 12:09:42 pm »

and if its not exposed to air then its deadly?
Well, not immediately perhaps, but  once the anaerobic bacteria multiply, it becomes a  problem. Also, there is the problem with the plastic containing the raw meat.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk