Author Topic: Fermented Coconut  (Read 2940 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Fermented Coconut
« on: September 05, 2018, 12:20:19 pm »
https://gtslivingfoods.com/offering/cocoyo/pure-2/
100% Raw fermented young coconut

My girlfriend has been eating this stuff for a while, I just tasted it the other day and found it to be very satisfying.  I am hopelessly addicted to coconut butter as it is, and perhaps this may be a better and rawer alternative. Still going to give it a little while before fully endorsing the stuff, but the first impression has been positive.

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Mr_Sirloin

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Fermented Coconut
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 10:11:32 pm »
How does it compare to dairy yogurt?
I've tried Rythm Coconut Kefir, though made from pasteurised milk, tasted like vomit.
Nevertheless I'm blessed to love anything coconut so this is an absolute gem!

Offline NuclearKnight

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 07:49:21 am »
When sugar decomposes under the right circumstances, you get alcohol; when fat decomposes under the right circumstances, you get bongkrekic acid. We all know about botulinum toxin; this is a new one for me though. Burkholderia gladioli feeds off the Lauric Acid in coconut and makes the  bongkrek toxin. Indonesia is where most the outbreaks are due to tempeh made with coconut instead of soy in some regions. Many people would be scared off by this; I'm instead wanting to taste this delicacy. It's like the vegan (not that I'm supporting veganism at all) version of fugu. In the case of the puffer fish, the toxin is removed, whereas here it's to control the growth of the bacteria to prevent the toxin from forming in the first place. Very interesting indeed!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:16:24 am by NuclearKnight »

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 10:31:50 am »
Is it sold only as a refrigerated product with a short expiration date, or have they pasteurized it ?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 11:50:43 am »
Its sold refrigerated, has a short expiration date, and is labeled Raw.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update

I was eating a jar a day for a few days and had some strange effects, not too sure exactly if I was just eating too much or if there was some other factor involved....I feel that there was something pycho active going on, not entirely bad, but not good either...perhaps some kind of microbiol battle, or perhaps didn't give my body time to adjust to the bongkrekic acids. My stomach and digestion felt fine, energy was good, but for some reason I began to feel a little angry, almost to the point of rage, which isn't very typical.

I stopped eating it a couple of days ago and feel fine now, perhaps I just ate too much all at once, during a time of stress, while not use to the fungal enthiogenic effect . Still have a couple of jars left, and might try to just eat a little at a time to see if smaller amounts are an issue..... Its weird how normally I am very disciplined and have good self control with all other foods, but when I take a taste of the stuff its very difficult to stop eating it until the jar is gone.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 01:38:02 pm »
interesting, maybe you had a large die off of some of your normal bacteria.  I think something happens to that effect when people go zero carb, as the carb eating bacteria starve to death in huge numbers.   Just a guess though.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 11:27:07 pm »
Yeah now that you mention it, it did feel similar to a die off reaction,  and after I stopped I did feel a lot better. There are some powerful microbes in this batch, nearly all the sugar has been consumed, and it bubbles with effervescent fermentation.

Its that sensation on the tongue of a slightly sour, enzymatic, tingly feeling that seems intuitivly good...For about a week I would only steal a little taste from my girlfriends stash, only a couple of spoonfuls a day, and felt real good with it, but after buying my own and compulsively consuming 4 jars in a three day period, the microbiol effects were unexpectedly too strong.

I think that there is some merit here worth being explored further, this may be helpful for people who are overrun with overgrowth, and could benefit from more whole food based solutions.

My girlfriend has an on again off again addiction to dairy, and will occasionally binge on sugar laced cows milk yogurt, but has recently switched over to this coconut yogurt and she seems to do well with it. It seems a better alternative to the dairy based probiotics, as well as the caffeine and sugar laced kombutcha drinks that she was drinking.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:24:55 am by sabertooth »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk