Author Topic: Beds, pillows, indoors and outdoors where and how do you sleep?  (Read 11319 times)

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile

I can sleep anywhere as long as I'm warm.

Last year I slept on a thin mat on the floor.

This year got the hardest cheapest Ikea mattress I can't believe people spend $3000+ on beds (well I can because they suffer from neolithic joint/back/arthritis/stress related pain) man this diet is going to save me more money in the long run than it is already saving me now.

Surf on the weekend, ate a huge steak and layed around in the sun. The perfect winters day!  and slept like a log. I could do that day in day out forever!

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Re: Beds, pillows, indoors and outdoors where and how do you sleep?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:06:34 pm »
Cool.

So, being new here, it's beginning to look like many here are not just RAF (paleo-specific) eaters, but that many attempt to embrace a quasi-paleo lifestyle. Is this correct?

Oh, to answer the question, I usually sleep on our simple bed (a mattress on the floor) with or without a pillow. When we camp, the sleeping bag is cushion enough. When we travel, a hotel bed or a friend/family's floor suffice equally well.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:28:22 pm »
Cool.

So, being new here, it's beginning to look like many here are not just RAF (paleo-specific) eaters, but that many attempt to embrace a quasi-paleo lifestyle. Is this correct?

Yeah for sure. I personally stopped wearing sun glasses and go out in the sun as much as possible as well as walk barefoot and have cold showers. I'm also considering a more paleo job as well as I'm don't like using my brain so a job where I use my hands instead of my head.

I hope what I do isn't confused with  new agey stuff though!

Albert Camus

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:07:40 pm »
Interesting. Maybe we need a thread "Paleo Lifestyles"....though I'm new here. You may already have had many such dedicated discussions.

What do you currently do & what kind of job do you want?
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:42:56 pm »
I sleep on the floor with a few blankets and that's it.  I try to sleep and wake with the sun, and I too quit wearing sunglasses.  I've read that glasses force your vision into a narrow field of view, cutting off your peripheral.  This strains your eyes and actually contributes to poor eyesight.  In fact, I skimmed through a book where this optometrist claimed to be able to correct eyesight over time through some simple eye exercises.  I can't remember his name.     
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 01:02:48 am »
Hi. I sleep on a mattress with a pillow at the moment on my side. I use the 'instinctive sleeping postures' I posted up in Tyler's diary thread as resting/stretching positions.

I want to work towards using a straw mattress or some sort of nest on a low bed  :)

A harder mattress helps with the rib mobilising that some of those postures give me.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:04:01 pm »
I sleep on the floor with a few blankets and that's it.  I try to sleep and wake with the sun, and I too quit wearing sunglasses.  I've read that glasses force your vision into a narrow field of view, cutting off your peripheral.  This strains your eyes and actually contributes to poor eyesight.  In fact, I skimmed through a book where this optometrist claimed to be able to correct eyesight over time through some simple eye exercises.  I can't remember his name.     

You must be thinking of the Bates Method, re mention of eye exercises.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 07:51:13 pm »
I can sleep anywhere if it's dark and quiet. I sleep great then.

I actually get pretty poor sleep though because living at home in a small place, always have to deal with people staying up late (to like 4am) making noise, slamming doors, lights going on and off etc.

Offline Cosmo

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:28:17 pm »
I noticed that I sleep better on a hard bed/mattrass. I hope that one day I will be able to sleep on the floor like japanese people do (old-fashioned falks). I tried sleeping on the floor 3 years ago and could't do it.
Since converting to raw food diet I sleep less than before, 6 hours of sleep is enough for me now.

Eating raw fish and meat since 17.11.08. 99% raw since 25.04.08.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 03:19:08 am »
I just got a bed. Seems like I should have stuck with the floor.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 12:53:33 pm »
I just got a bed. Seems like I should have stuck with the floor.

I'm in the market for a mattress or mattress pad.  What kind did you get?  What bothers you about it?  Is it just the wrong one for you?  Maybe there's another you would try?  Is it actually a good bed as far as beds go, but you have a preference for floor?

I told my husband I want a buffalo hide to sleep on.  He is disagreeable to that.  We got a wool rug years ago.  he wants to sleep on that now.  We'll see.  Haven't tried it yet.  Feels nice to my feet.

I have slept in the back yard when I got the opportunities, in Winter, with snow.  It was much better than walls and heating.  I did so without tent, sleeping bag, blanket and/or pillow.

I sleep wherever (couch/bed), mostly inside the house.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 10:08:04 pm »
my wife and I live outdoors most of the year in a tent in the bush. we had taken our bed out but really that shit just doesnt work so we ditched the bed recently after someone here said 'try sleeping on the floor for a week' so i started sleeping on the floor.. I was used to it after a few days and i just sleep direct on the floor, my wife has a therma-rest insulated camping mat that she sleeps on since she gets colder than I do.

And i think we should have a 'paleo-lifestyle' forums.. I know that at least I am converting to a more feral lifestyle and looking for like-minded people to start a culttribe :P with, haha
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:49:13 pm by Neone »
That's not paleo.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 10:23:33 pm »
Cool couple Neone!

Albert Camus

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:53 am »
there is one called paleoplanet. a bunch of info on archery, pottery and lifestyle in a forum.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 03:28:06 am »
Count me in as one who will be eventually be sleeping on the floor/mat. I tried sleeping on my carpeted floor several months ago with mixed results. Just like anything else it takes time to adapt and I never let myself fully get to the point where I was comfortable enough to automatically go to the floor when it was time to sleep. I craved my bed and could fall asleep much faster on it though would not get as good sleep as I did when I slept on the floor, though it took me much longer to eventually fall asleep.

My crack pot theory on this is that my soft bed is like a drug in that it brings me immediate comfort at the expense of long term negative results. Just because I feel comfortable as I am getting to sleep doesn't mean that my body thinks its comfortable or correct several hours later.

One piece of evidence for this is that I notice myself crave laying on the floor after watching tv from a couch around the 30 minute mark and will almost always make my way down there with a pillow.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 04:01:17 am »
something to consider when pondering sleeping options is pressure points and body alignment.  for instance, too soft of a mattress and the spine and hips will be out of alignment. too hard and the body will be supported by few too many points to allow optimal blood flow and general body ease.  Body fat and muscle percentages has alot to do with how one may adopt to a hard sleeping surface.  Many newer designed beds work on the principle of a composite laying technique when the top surface is soft and cradling and the lower layers get progressively firmer to offer proper support or alignment. 

Offline Permasprout

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 08:56:24 am »
For many years now I sometimes have nights where my back hurts so much that I can't sleep. It will go on for days, me tossing and turning until I just sleep on the floor. I put a comforter down then pillows under my butt, head, and sometimes under my back. I always sleep like a baby those nights and wake up refreshed and free of back pain.

Recently my bed was covertly attacked by mold. I tossed it, surprised that I was actually happy to get rid of such a staple item. I move a lot and this bed has caused me much pain. I have been sleeping on just a few fleece blankets for the past week and have lots of bruises on my hips, butt, and knees. Hopefully I'll toughen up.

Last night I had a dream that I was sleeping on springy branches in the forest and it was so comfortable. It sounds nice, but for now I'm wondering how to make my floor more comfy. Any suggestions?

William

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 12:08:03 pm »
For many years now I sometimes have nights where my back hurts so much that I can't sleep. It will go on for days, me tossing and turning until I just sleep on the floor. I put a comforter down then pillows under my butt, head, and sometimes under my back. I always sleep like a baby those nights and wake up refreshed and free of back pain.

Recently my bed was covertly attacked by mold. I tossed it, surprised that I was actually happy to get rid of such a staple item. I move a lot and this bed has caused me much pain. I have been sleeping on just a few fleece blankets for the past week and have lots of bruises on my hips, butt, and knees. Hopefully I'll toughen up.

Last night I had a dream that I was sleeping on springy branches in the forest and it was so comfortable. It sounds nice, but for now I'm wondering how to make my floor more comfy. Any suggestions?

You could get springy branches from the forest, but the foresters will not like it, and they (the branches) don't last long.
I found such a bed in a campground once, and it was still mostly green pine, best sleep ever.

I always used a Thermarest while camping. Recommended.

Back pain disappeared shortly after I began to eat strict raw zero carb, never to return.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 12:14:47 pm »
i have a cushion of felty/wool blankets on the floor, 3 pillows that i have to arrange just so to sleep with my arm in the proper position because its healing weird after i was thrown off my bicycle by a car, then 5 blankets on top...all really old or thrift store blankets i pretend they have off-gassed.....wish i didnt have carpet but did sprinkle it with clay...

i think you just have to pile up the blankets on the floor til you have proper cushion and have the right kind that have a bit of loft/dont compress and arrange your pillows as you said was nice to support your back....fresh pine boughs really are amazing to sleep on tho

Offline Permasprout

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 01:04:07 am »
I've got dandruff and it's really itchy when I'm in bed so I'm wondering if it has something to do with what my pillow is made of, like an allergic reaction maybe. I'd love to get an all natural pillow like buckwheat hulls or something. Has anyone tried any alternative material pillows?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 09:38:19 am »
I've got dandruff and it's really itchy when I'm in bed so I'm wondering if it has something to do with what my pillow is made of, like an allergic reaction maybe. I'd love to get an all natural pillow like buckwheat hulls or something. Has anyone tried any alternative material pillows?

I know of someone whose athlete's foot was cured using some socks made from copper-impregnated cloth. 

www.cupron.com is the website.  I haven't bought anything from there, but I do know a couple of people who are pleased with their stuff.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 11:15:06 am »
Ok I'm in the same boat at some of these last forum goers. I need a new sleeping setup for a new pad. I'm not specifically interested in any sleeping situation that would be off-putting to guests who are not raw paleos, but I am looking for something that is made of clean fibers and relatively cheap and supports decent health. I've slept on floors for years and one downside is that the dust can become a factor if like me, you don't like to clean up alot OR you share space with others. I'm hoping to either buy or build some kind of platform for a mattress. I'm picturing something that looks like of Asian style rather than crack house mattress on the ground like I usually do. So I'm interested in things like getting proper sheets, and mattress that are as devoid of toxin and inexpensive as possible as opposed to true paleo form. I've tried searching around and came up with nil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk