Author Topic: Is mold safe?  (Read 7250 times)

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
Is mold safe?
« on: June 17, 2009, 01:04:42 am »
If your meat has got very high and a bit of mold develops, is it still safe to eat?

It seems to be a fuzzy white bloom.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Is mold safe?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 01:07:55 am »
    Some say yes, and to go ahead and eat it (to me).  I have seen people eat it too.  I haven't eaten the moldy meat.  I ponder this too.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 04:20:28 pm »
There are differant types of mold.
I've eaten very high meats with a little bit of mold and it was ok
but when you'll eat, for example, bread with a mold it could be a problem
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 06:58:23 pm »
I've also eaten high meat with plenty of mold(and mouldy raw suet, too) and it was fine.Never had a problem, despite misgivings when I first tried them, years back.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:00:45 pm »
Aha...I'll give it a go then. If I don't post a follow up, assume that it's not safe.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 10:25:01 pm »
If your meat has got very high and a bit of mold develops, is it still safe to eat?

It seems to be a fuzzy white bloom.

Absolutely big fat NO.
Mold / Fungi / Yeast / Candida are the enemy.
Give me BACTERIA... yes.
Mold... NEVER.
I am so anti-mold.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 11:32:43 pm »
Goodsamaritan -
there is fundamental difference between Mold and Candida - one has nothing to do with the other
overgrowth of candida exists in modern society, which is anti-every-dirt, so "immaculate"

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:40:06 am »
I make a lot of low temperature half dried meat that gets moldy. I eat it all the time. Mold is what gives great cheeses their character.

In the meat aging industry, mold is considered good; slimy is bad. Dry aging often results in mold that does not smell bad. Wet aging often produces a stinky putrid slime.

Mold, yeast, and mushrooms are in the same group.

I will eat mold that eats the same thing I do, but mold growing in your damp basement eating paint can be harmful when is becomes airborne.
Naturally, Don

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:01:13 pm »
However, from my experience, it's quite rare that mold will apear in the meat, as the bacteria are those microorganisms who "govern" there
it's different with suet, which becomes moldy quite often

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 01:12:28 pm »
I stay away from molds and yeasts, but have been eating plenty of the slimy putrid "wet-aged" meat and liver. (I came to raw paleo by way of AV.)

Maybe the mold that grows on meat wouldn't hurt me, but I'm a little afraid to try that because I think I may have candida issues. I know for sure that I can't drink beer with live yeasts. I've tried it several times and my irritable bowel would come creeping back up on me. It's not the alcohol either because I can drink dry wines with no problem, and those actually have more alcohol in them. (Not that alcohol isn't bad for you anyway) They tell people to stay away from mushrooms due to candida. I don't really like mushrooms raw anyway. I loved them in my cooked days.

Maybe in the future I will give moldy meat a whirl just to test it out.   

I think I have had suet with a little bit of mold on the surface. It's so hard to tell what this stuff is actually doing inside you.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 07:14:06 pm »
Yeh, it is suet fwiw. I wanted to know the answer for all meats though. I ate some last night. Didn't have any major probs but feel a bit odd and 'trippy' today.

This is probably due to my adaption to raw paleo rather than psychadelic mould though  :) I'll compare it with the fresh stuff and see how it goes.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 10:24:01 am »
so i just started eating some chuck roast and noticed that it had some whitish mold on one spot of fat and a little whitish and greenish mold on another spot. i get it from whole foods (fresh grass fed) and have never had this happen before. i just cut those parts off and continued to eat it. is that generally acceptable? i hate throwing away food... it tasted fine but i'm still a little unnerved. any advice is appreciated.

i should also say that it didn't smell bad (a faint hint of cheese but that's it)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 04:39:57 pm »
Well, eat it or don't eat it. Doesn't matter, IMO. I've eaten plenty of fungus-/mold-ridden "high-meat" over the years  and I've  never had problems with it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 09:13:17 pm »
well im mainly just concerned because I didnt make it moldy, someone else did...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk