Author Topic: Liver smoothies??? - WHAT A WASTE! try this instead!  (Read 12170 times)

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Liver smoothies??? - WHAT A WASTE! try this instead!
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:28:01 am »
this is something i sent to a particular paleo someone.....hope you all feel lucky to be included  ;)

(or of course 'un' lucky (depending on if you are a half full/empty kinda person :) )

hey,

i'll tell you one thing, liver smoothies were definately a phase! One i dont think I'll repeat!

Liver is such a treat, it utterly defeats the point of doing all that to it. Essentially I was trying to mask the taste, and in the end it was horrible!

I think raw liver is such a mega food, I wouldn't eat it everyday. You can tell when you've had enough, and if you imagine killing an animal, the ratio of liver to the rest is fairly small! I think this animal/ratio logic isnt a bad idea to get a vague balance of what to eat. But even better than that is getting back to being in sync with your body....

Sorry I actually wasn't intending to say all this at all! Instead I was actually going to say that today I had raw liver, and it was FANTASTIC. Having bought a lovely lambs liver from a happy grass fed sheep, I.....

-Got a medium pan, put about a couple millimeters of water and heated till it boiled, than turned off the heat. I than put 1/3 of the whole liver in (about a decent handful pieceish :) ) I popped the lid on, and left it for 5 or so mins. I did turn it over and left for a few minutes.

This is not to cook it in anyway, but warm it.. (body tempishish/warm meat of ANY sort is better. Think about it :) )

Anyway...

-I then cut the liver into very thin slices using an incredibly sharp knife....and made a nice circular arrangement on a plate with them....

-I then sprinkled sea salt, ground black pepper, paprika and garlic powder to taste into the used water, and added a bit more water to make about a cup of 'broth'. The simpler the better, maybe next time no chilli...

-I poured this into a beautiful blue, handless cup - which i placed in the centre of the plate.

I ate with chopsticks (2 skewers!), savouring and sipping whilst listenning to my flatmate recording her beautiful music, while thinking about the universe and how we're are all part of a big picture. Oh, and really relishing the soft textures/flavours with the peppy/salty broth.

It was both delicious and spiritual. Super, mega good for mind and body.

So there we go. Never again am I going to soberly take for granted something that has such wonderful potential. Or rather IS wondeful.

Each to their own of course :)

Hope you had fun reading this, I had fun writing it.

David A-C

xxx

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Liver smoothies??? - WHAT A WASTE! try this instead!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:10:29 pm »
Glad you love raw liver. Many of us, myself included, had a little trouble with adapting to the taste, when we first went rawpalaeo. I find that I only really like raw liver from wild game such as from the wild hare carcasses I get. The standard raw liver such as beef liver just doesn't have the same tang.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:30:44 pm »
The goat livers I get need some adjusting to the taste.
But the beef livers we get freshly slaughtered taste absolutely great, just pick the youngest, reddest ones.
Even non-raw foodists are surprised the first time they taste freshly slaughtered beef liver that it tastes really good.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 03:08:29 am »
  Bison liver is great too.  To keep fresh liver, place it whole in fridge on stainless steel wire rack, so that air gets all around it and dries the outside layer.  Same works with fresh meat.

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:04:06 am »
I like to let my lamb livers get really high in jars in the fridge. I will then pull out a piece and mix it in with my regular fresh meat to give it more flavor.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:09:05 pm »
good plan, do you air you high stuff?

Offline razmatazz

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 07:01:43 am »
nice story! i have some organic no-soy fed chicken liver in the fridge, along with some lamb liver too, that i'm looking forward to eating tomorrow

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 09:47:30 am »

Phatdave, not sure if your question was in regards to mine, but I don't do high meat anymore. 

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 12:22:17 pm »
Yeah, I air it out once in a while. It just speeds up the process.

Hey Von, how come you don't eat high meat anymore? Just curious. I don't think it's really important to do or anything. 

Offline Cosmo

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:42:17 pm »
today I had raw liver, and it was FANTASTIC. Having bought a lovely lambs liver from a happy grass fed sheep, I.....

Hi David.
Was it New Zealand Lamb's liver from Sainsburys? ;) I buy it all the time and I must agree with you, it's bloody fantastic! I use loads of organic garlic and herbs like parsley and dill with raw liver, I smell of gralic afterwards but hey who cares? :-))))
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:03:44 pm by Cosmo »
Eating raw fish and meat since 17.11.08. 99% raw since 25.04.08.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 10:38:39 pm »
  I wasn't seeing any difference in digestion or anything else....  And coincidently I developed an ear problem, which I think might have been a fungus or whatever.  No science here, just speculation.  One concept which still sticks for me, is in Europe where they still develop the art of cured meats, there are entire sciences developing strains of 'bacteria' to facilitate this.  I looked online.  When done at home, you are limited to the bacteria, yeast, air borne fungi that are floating in the air.  To me it's a crap shoot with which of those strains could possibly proliferate in your intestines, as does candida.  Everyone has different levels of digestibility, ie, stomach acids, etc., thus different levels of dealing with all these possibilities.   For  a while I thought about burying the meat in soil to pick up the soil bacteria.  This seemed a better choice as far as limiting the undesireable strains.  But, never tried it.  Animals burry their meat, as do my dogs with any excess given at feeding.  I would have burried it in a permeable bag, that would have kept out (hopefully) worms, as in parasites.    Probably more than you were expecting.....   Van

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 03:59:14 am »
Hi David.
Was it New Zealand Lamb's liver from Sainsburys? ;) I buy it all the time and I must agree with you, it's bloody fantastic! I use loads of organic garlic and herbs like parsley and dill with raw liver, I smell of gralic afterwards but hey who cares? :-))))

I get mine from the Sunday morning farmers market in Marylebone. Haven't found a better place than the farmers markets for food so far :).

(i have tried the nz lambs liver  a while ago. I did cook it, it was great. but I have falling in love with farmers markets!)

Hello fellow brits, hope you are having a nice summer!  :)

David

ps. Hmm, I am yet to try high meat! I think vans point sounds very reasonable, will have to experiment myself!

Offline Cosmo

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 02:00:06 pm »
I get mine from the Sunday morning farmers market in Marylebone. Haven't found a better place than the farmers markets for food so far :).
Hello fellow brits, hope you are having a nice summer!  :

Hi again! :-) I wish we had farmers market here in Derby, I wish we had a proper summer too.
By the way how many Brits do we have on this forum? So far I've noticed 3... I hope that more people will become intersted in raw paleo diet and lifestyle.
David, when did you start eating raw meat and organs? How did your friends and family react to your slightly "eccentric" new eating habits? :-)))))))
I was quite lucky, my friends' reaction was quite positive, though they thought it was just a phase :-)
Eating raw fish and meat since 17.11.08. 99% raw since 25.04.08.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 03:31:28 am »
Hi again! :-) I wish we had farmers market here in Derby, I wish we had a proper summer too.
By the way how many Brits do we have on this forum? So far I've noticed 3... I hope that more people will become intersted in raw paleo diet and lifestyle.
David, when did you start eating raw meat and organs? How did your friends and family react to your slightly "eccentric" new eating habits? :-)))))))
I was quite lucky, my friends' reaction was quite positive, though they thought it was just a phase :-)

There is one!  :D But its every 3rd thursday of each month.....  -\

I count 27 british members. Click 'members' at the top.

About 1 month of raw meat/organs/fats. About 1 week of trying zeroish carb.

I'm not afraid to tell people what I eat. Not anymore anyway ;) My flatmates we're split in their opinions, but now its old news. 1 jokes with me about it, the other thinks its really cool! My family are also pretty 'cool' - it was only in our countryside pub when I refused a pint that all faces became most concerned. ".......Really?"  l)  :)

I'm glad your friend is also 'cool'  ;D

Let me know if theres anything I can help you with,

David

ps Do you notice how much I like these little faces? I think I might go for a world record next post..... :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk