Author Topic: Finally starting to see the light...  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Venabulis Vinco

• Forager
    • View Profile
Finally starting to see the light...
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:58:47 am »
Hey Everyone,

I think I best give a summary of my health and dietary history. I have had digestive issues since I was a child, which came along with depression and bouts of anger and I have never had the greatest of memories. I didn't have the worst of diets, just your standard 'healthy' English diet, so plenty of jacket potato's, baked beans, eggs, fish and of course roast dinners. I managed to get through childhood, but was always considered to be lazy or laid back.

When I came into my teens, I started eating allot more junk food thanks to school and ended up being 200 lbs at 15 years old despite being very active, playing sports and going cycling (I suspect that it was more severe water retention than actual fat deposits). In my late teen I was sick of being overweight so I decided to clean up my diet and ate a very clean diet, no junk food (well i guess I would call protein bars and protein powder junk food now) I managed to lose 30 lbs in 3 months without calorie restriction and doing 20 minutes of strength or burst training a day. At this point I realised that no matter how much I worked out I could never really gain any muscle, I was strong but I had always been relatively strong.

I can remember having sleeping problems on and off through my life (used to sleep 21 hours a day when I was a baby, which in no way is normal), but it was when I started university at 18 that it got really bad with severe insomnia. Due to the stress and lack of sleep I started using allot of stimulants to just keep going, I was drinking 2 liters of black coffee and allot of nicotine gum (about the same as a 20 a day smoker), I would quit in the summers but the insomnia persisted and I went back to my 'Lazy' self. While at university I experimented with a higher fat  whole food diet and intermittent fasting, but I still had digestive issues no matter what i did (the fasting just gave me a small break from the discomfort). But I managed to drag my self through university and completed my masters (at what cost to my organs and glands, I still have no idea).

Once I finished university I got caught up in veganism and its supposed health benefits, I did start feeling better in a way, but I also quit all stimulants at the same time and I no longer had any stress. So i did a WFPB diet for about a year and a half and felt okay, but my insomnia was never fixed and I had to consume a ridiculous amount of food. I also lost weight eating unrestricted calories, whether it was higher fat or higher carb (i experimented with both).

It was when I started a stressful job when things started going down hill and my digestive issues became worse than ever, IBS and sleep was absolutely awful. I started withdrawing mentally and after a year at the job I completely broke down mentally and physically. I could barely speak and every time I started I would get sharp headaches, my depression was at its worst ever and I was having suicidal thoughts through out the day and on top of this my insomnia was still there. after half a year of misery with colonoscopies, CT scans and nutritionists unable to determine what the problem was, it was pretty much determined that I had chronic fatigue (my mom had chronic fatigue at around the same age). I decided to try and find the foods (still vegan mentality unfortunately) which I can actually digest without much discomfort and I basically ended up being fruit based (which is the dumbest idea in the UK in my opinion).

So I was basically eating a load of supermarket fruit with some raw nuts and seeds and some light salads, I also added 4-5 tablespoons of coconut oil a day but it never seemed to help with my digestion, I still had constipation and haemorrhoids. But I still felt better staying away from cooked food but I continued to lose weight. I eventually got desperate and went down the dr morse herbs and fruit, hoping that they would somehow support my weak organs and glands, but my blood pressure was still 90/60 many days (I still couldn't gain weight no matter how many medjool dates, bananas and avocado's I ate). I eventually gave up because I was scaring my wife and mother being 124 lbs at 6ft 2, so I started to add some raw eggs which helped a bit, but not much and I was still not gaining weight. I then decided to give the snake diet a go so I ate fish and sweet potatoes, but what went in just came out the other end and I felt heavy after any cooked food.

But I recalled a time when my sister made a passing comment 'theres even a guy who solved his health problems eating a diet of raw meat' so I looked into it and decided to dive in. I got some organic raw beef and sat down to eat it, no gagging , no hesitation, just pure bliss... it tasted like butter. From that point 2 and a half months ago I have been hooked on raw meat, I tried a week with raw milk but it made my insomnia really bad, and I stupidly experimented with some water kefir which made me feel awful and I haven't quite recovered from that after 2 weeks. I am still not digesting well (It was getting much better before the water kefir so I suspect I am battling with candida now) I was zero carb, but have since started adding some seaweed for electrolytes.

Overall though since starting raw primal I have gained back at least 15lbs of muscle and some healthy fat stores as I am up to 156 lbs. I have been eating around 1kg of grass-fed beef a day, mostly coming from dry aged brisket, and about 6 eggs. I have had a few weeks where I got some organic organs and mince and added raw butter to make up for the lower fat content. The brisket is definitely my favourite though. I am starting to add in some more seafood (wild caught), as I am unable to source any brains, and I was thinking that due to my mental breakdown my brain may need a bit more nourishment in the for of DHA. 

I do still have the insomnia, but being in ketosis has helped me cope much better. I still have digestive issues and fatigue, but they aren't as bad. But my depression is completely lifted and I will hopefully be going back to part time work within the next month or so (my old boss is very happy for me to work the hours that my body allows me too).

Well that turned out to be a much longer summary than I intended, I hope it isn't too detailed.

Any help on tips for insomnia would be greatly appreciated, as I know I will never heal until I am able to sleep. I suspect that it may be partially caused by EMF's as my insomnia got worse when 4G networks came out and since I started working on and around computers more (my university building was basically one hyper computer). Also, the only restful sleep I remember having in 8 years was when I was camping in the rockies last year, I was actually able to sleep in the middle of the day with loads of people around. It may have been a coincidence but I plan on researching it a bit more.

Offline Dingeman

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Finally starting to see the light...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 01:07:29 am »
Welcome! Hope you will find the answers that you need to achieve true health on here!

What guy was your sister talking about? was it Sv3rige?

A tip I have for insomnia is definitely to eat mineral rich foods. Try to source a thymus gland (it's a delicacy where I live, so it should be doable for you) it contains lots of minerals and hormones that will help you get into your circadian rhythm.
Another tip I have is to eat organs as often as you can. Raw muscle meat is good and a whole different world than plant foods, but organs are truly magical. They will heal you in ways you didn't even know were necessary.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:35:22 pm »
Well, I experienced a similiar set of health-setbacks, albeit at a much more painful, deadly level. Pre-RPD diet, I had chronic fatigue and chronic insomnia of a crippling nature. I would sleep for 8-10 hours a night, and wake up and feel as though I had only slept for half an hour. The only thing that got me fully asleep were melatonin pills(2 at a time). Trouble is that one's body adapts, and eventually one gets no benefit therefrom. I would strongly advise you to cut out ALL raw dairy products from your diet. When people claim they find 1 type of dairy fine, and another dairy-type to be harmful, I am very sceptical. The way I see it, if 1 type of raw dairy is harmful to you in the immediate present, then the other forms of raw dairy will be harmful in the long-term.

When I first tried RPD, I was unaware, that like many people with allergies, I had vast cravings for the very food I was allergic to.  It took months of experimentation with raw goats' milk, raw sheeps' milk, A1 type raw milk, until I finally grasped that all of them were harmful to me.

Other possibilities:- there is brainwave entrainment which I have found to help a lot re getting quickly to sleep. It's mostly very cheap(ie  do not buy any holosync product) and easy to use if you have a smartphone or computer. Brain.fm has  3 options:- focus, relax and sleep.They offer some free initial samples at first.

Near-infrared light therapy:- I've been doing very well with this. I have noted that, if my body needs to detox, all I have to do is expose my naked body to the near-infrared lamps for a few minutes and , while I feel tired from the redlight-detox, I also feel amazing after waking up later on.The  https://redlightman.com (UK_based) website has some cheap and expensive products available, just look only for the combo devices.

Digestive issues and depression could be sorted out by trying "high-meat":-
https://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/index.php?topic=316.0

IF(Intermittent Fasting) is also an idea. Bear in mind that constant digestion of food, no matter how healthy it is, is draining on the body, and diverts resources away from healing.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Venabulis Vinco

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 09:16:33 pm »
What guy was your sister talking about? was it Sv3rige?

Funnily enough it was Derek Nance (Sabertooth) who my sister was referring to as she saw his story on vice. The irony is that my sister now thinks I a crazy for eating raw meat and that I should be more balanced, even though I have seen so many health benefits already.

I have been trying to source some good organic grass-fed organs but the problem is that sweetbreads/thymus and brain are not at all popular so they don't stock them. Also I have contacted farms and they say that they cant supply some organs because of the health and safety regulations. I will keep looking though, also I plan on trying to find some local game meats as the beef can get a little expensive.

On the subject of dairy, I stopped all milk and butter and just went meat and water for a month, i then reintroduced eggs and butter and didn't seem to notice any differences apart from benefiting from the much larger amount of fat that I was ingesting (still had some digestive issues but felt better). Once I have used up the raw butter I have and found a reliable source of raw animal fat I will spend another month without eggs and butter, and maybe add in some wild herbs.

Near-infrared light therapy:- I've been doing very well with this. I have noted that, if my body needs to detox, all I have to do is expose my naked body to the near-infrared lamps for a few minutes and , while I feel tired from the redlight-detox, I also feel amazing after waking up later on.The  https://redlightman.com (UK_based) website has some cheap and expensive products available, just look only for the combo devices.

I had been looking at the near-infrared light therapy for a while but I didn't want to commit to something without testing it first, but I can give a smaller unit a try.

Digestive issues and depression could be sorted out by trying "high-meat":-
https://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/index.php?topic=316.0

Thankfully the depression pretty much vanished once i started eating allot of raw fat and cutting out all carbs. Technically I also have been eating dry aged beef which way have provided some bacterial benefit. However I have been fermenting some beef liver in the fridge, however I went away on holiday and had to leave it for 10 days at 1 Celsius. It still smells cheesy, but I am not sure as I have no experience with high meat. I will be making some high beef heart this week though.

IF(Intermittent Fasting) is also an idea. Bear in mind that constant digestion of food, no matter how healthy it is, is draining on the body, and diverts resources away from healing.

That has always been my mentality towards eating, I always felt best doing OMAD even though I still had IBS. I have even done some juice, water and dry fasting in the past as well, but I was never able to rebuild after them. At the moment I generally finish my food in a 1-2 hour window at lunch time to minimise the digestive stress in the evening.

I do plan on trying a cascade dry fast at some point to see how far I can go. If I can't manage it I want to try alternate day fasting with a 40 hour dry fast. May do a few egg yolk liver flushes before I attempt the cascade fast though, just to see if i do have a congested liver.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 11:10:48 pm »
I too was eating grass fed but only for a month as an experiment but like you, was only able to find muscle meats. When I went back to eating organ meats I felt much better and now that I am back to virtually full carnivore I am eating 5 pounds of meat a day and there's no way I can afford grass fed so I'm not worrying about it and am doing just fine so maybe being unable to find grass fed organ meat is not all that bad...

I would strongly say that it's more important to eat organ meats than to forgo them and only eat grass fed muscle meats.

I still have some grass fed meat and I do like the taste better after becoming accustomed to it but when I first tried it it seemed kind of tasteless.

Wild caught sea food it a bargain if you buy it frozen. It's actually cheaper to buy salmon that way than to buy it farmed fresh.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 10:52:00 pm »
O.P. You mentioned in the first post that no matter how much you exercised you never gained any muscle. I can relate to that when I used to exercise a lot; but I since have learned it doesn't work that way. If you want your muscles to grow you need to only exercise enough to stimulate them to grow. No more. No less. Of course as they grow you will need to exercise more with heavier weights to properly stimulate them. Just realize; it is not the exercise that makes them grow. It is the repairing while you are resting afterward. Nutrition also needs to be approached the same way. Compare yourself to a fire. If you add to much wood to suddenly or too much oxygen; the fire will die instead of grow. Continue to balance the right amount and type of exercise, nutrition and rest; and your body will grow like it's on fire!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk