Author Topic: Difficulty consuuming fat! Does it get easier with time?  (Read 9516 times)

Offline tear11

• Forager
    • View Profile
Difficulty consuuming fat! Does it get easier with time?
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:02:39 pm »
I have zero trouble adhering to this all meat diet in fact I love every minute of it the problem I have is that I am underweight with a history of digestive challenges and  I simply cannot tolerate a lot of fat I love it but the after effect is I am stuck in bed and nauseous for the reminder of the day and miserable. I just assume this will take time and for now just be gentle and allow my body to adapt. The last thing I tried was a raw vegan diet so i know that doesnt help the situation. Anyway just want to hear anybody else experience and advice. Is it ok to just eat leaner cuts for now and what kinds I know chicken breast and liver are not the answer. Also I dont do well nibbling through out the day I feel best with a light afternoon meal and reasonable dinner. Otherwise just listening to my body and staying relaxed but any comfort you all can provide would be great. I look excitedly upon the day I can eat a 24oz  ribeye with no ill effect or even a simple 8 oz hamburger patty:)

Take care and infinite thanks:)

p.s. also please feel free to pm me your experiences

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty consuuming fat! Does it get easier with time?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 12:21:11 am »
But what kind of fat have you eaten? Suet, marrow? If so, from which animal was it? It was grass-fed or grain-fed?
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:17:16 am »
For the last 2 or so weeks I have been eating rendered fat (which is not raw - but i needed it to keep / it was an experiment) and I can certainly say that I have grown from finding it mildly unpalateable to being really delicious. I found that when it was warmer (ie when i left it out of the fridge on a warm day) it was seriously delicious. I appreciate that this account is not directly relevant given that it is not raw fat, but my taste for fat generally has definately developed.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 10:28:12 am »
  source out fresh back fat from strictly grass fed cows.  It keeps vacuumed sealed for weeks in the fridge.  I slice it like butter and eat it first, followed by meat.  Eat it only when it tastes good.  Then wait for the stop.  There will be one if you watch.  Then you know your body has had enough.  I then do this with the lean grass fed beef.     

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 02:38:21 pm »
Coconut oil makes me nauseous.  Too much supermarket grainfed fat has occasionally done the same.  It's no surprise you are having trouble w/ rendered fat. 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 04:52:28 pm »
grassfed and raw is definately the way to go

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 04:53:47 pm »
if you're consuming cooked animal fat I'm not surprised you're nauseous - I got that way too with cooked animal fat. Your best bet is to either eat the animal fat only in raw, non-rendered form, or go to raw low carb if the former approach doesn't work.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:43:15 pm »
I have zero trouble adhering to this all meat diet in fact I love every minute of it the problem I have is that I am underweight with a history of digestive challenges and  I simply cannot tolerate a lot of fat I love it but the after effect is I am stuck in bed and nauseous for the reminder of the day and miserable. I just assume this will take time and for now just be gentle and allow my body to adapt. The last thing I tried was a raw vegan diet so i know that doesnt help the situation. Anyway just want to hear anybody else experience and advice. Is it ok to just eat leaner cuts for now and what kinds I know chicken breast and liver are not the answer. Also I dont do well nibbling through out the day I feel best with a light afternoon meal and reasonable dinner. Otherwise just listening to my body and staying relaxed but any comfort you all can provide would be great. I look excitedly upon the day I can eat a 24oz  ribeye with no ill effect or even a simple 8 oz hamburger patty:)

Take care and infinite thanks:)

p.s. also please feel free to pm me your experiences

Partly the problem is all the training we got and get from the low fat people, so it is emotional and mental. This takes time to overcome, and coconut oil does not help.
I have no source of grassfed and grassfinished fat, so must use grainfed fat and it always acts like a laxative and does not taste good.
The answer for me is to make tallow, then it is acceptable when mixed as in pemmican.

Leaner meat is dangerous, said to eventually result in deficiency disease. The right proportion is 64% tallow by weight for those making pemmican, more for raw fat.

It takes time for your body to change in how it copes with this very different diet - I used to cheat a lot in the beginning, usually with fruit.

William

Offline tear11

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 10:02:47 pm »
Let me clarify I am talking about about eating raw animal fats of variuos kind if I eat the fat first which I love the taste until I get that obvious signal that I have had enough it doesn t work because I feel so sick after so now I am nervous to eat fatty meat. The only time I dont feel bad after a raw meat meal is when I eat very little fat which I know is questionable because I am quite well versed through readiing hours of this site, the bear, and other raw paleo resources that fat is essential. I love fat and I want to eat more of it but my body is just feeling so sick afterwards it is very frustrating. Also my appetite is very low and I have very little energy. Just trying to figure whether to be patient and give this time and just deal with what I am experienceing or to add some fruit for some energy and calories? I prefer to just eat meat and fatty meat but its not worth feeling so tired and sick after a fatty meal?

Thanks for all your replies and support..

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 11:30:55 pm »
Hi. Have you tried eating suet, bone marrow etc. seperately, or do you just mean the fat off a ribeye? If not, might be worth a go they seem much easier to take.

I would have thought it would take some time coming from a low fat diet though.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 02:32:01 am »
Are you doing zero carb?  If so, how long?  Low energy, no desire for meat and/or fat, and upset stomach are all symptoms some people experience when trying zc.  You may be on the right lines of thinking about adding some fruit.  You may even be able to stay VLC, and just eat some non-sweet non-starchy fruit w/ your meat.  Or like Lex says, a small piece of fruit or a salad somewhere during the day. 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 01:03:55 pm »
  fine tuning.  then try stopping the eating of fat before the stop occurs.  Wait 20 - 30 minutes, and then eat lean meat.  In the beginning I ate too much fat along with meat.  My body just couldn't digest it.  I love the taste of big pieces of fat eaten along with pieces of meat, but for me there is no real stop, just eventual fullness.  Hence my body has no way of signaling me at to how much fat/energy and meat/protein I need at any one meal.  Again,  right now,  just cut down on how much fat you eat, wait a bit,  then eat meat.  Also you might want to try to add an additional meal to your daily plan, and make each meal smaller than they are now.  If I know I have to be active right after a meal, I will eat half as much, and not worry about whether or not it digests well.    My two cents.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 02:22:23 am »
van, what kind of fat do you eat?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 07:59:43 am »
  right now almost all back fat from bison and beef.  I go in and out of marrow.  I am trying for a few days now eating fat completely separately and then when hungry again, eating lean meat with only a little fat for taste.  So far I like how there is little if any digestion difficulties, as in, feeling sluggish after eating or feeling like you'd like to sit fir a while after eating rather than get on the go again.    But back to the back fat again, it's fresh, I get it in vacuum sealed slabs, grass fed only, and I never get tired of eating it day after day.  Same with meat.  Just have to wait till I am hungry and poof, there's that great taste again. 

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 07:19:47 pm »
Van, what do the rest of your family eat - do they all sit with you eating raw meat and fat; trying to find out fat and protein rations? You have been doing this since the 1970's; you should know if and what works by now?

Nicola
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:42:36 am by Nicola »

William

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 11:01:42 pm »
  But back to the back fat again, it's fresh, I get it in vacuum sealed slabs, grass fed only, and I never get tired of eating it day after day. 

Where do you get vacuum sealed slabs of fat from?

carnivore

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 11:52:08 pm »
The right proportion is 64% tallow by weight for those making pemmican, more for raw fat.

William

64% : where does this (magic?) number come from ?

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 02:26:16 am »
64% : where does this (magic?) number come from ?

This refers to the 'by weight' number for the proportion of rendered fat to dried meat when making pemmican.  If you make pemmican with 64% fat and 36% dried meat by weight, then the pemmican will be right at 80% of calories from fat.  The standard 50/50 mixture of fat and lean provides about 70% of calories from fat.

Either ratio provides plenty of fat, however, there are those that insist that if you get exactly 80% of calories from fat your diet is somehow 'perfect'.  Of course this is total nonsense.  Your body's need for fat depends on many factors including activity level.  Most of us desk jockeys need far less fat than 80% of calories eaten.  I think the 80% number came from an observation that Steffannson seemed to average about 80% of calories from fat during his year long Belleview experiment so that has now become the defacto standard even though there are no objective studies that support this number.  I have personally found that 80% of calories from fat is far to high for me.  If I eat that much fat I gain significant weight.  I do much better on 65% to 70% of calories from fat.

It is also interesting that in Staffannson's book Fat of the Land, there is a mention that the proper ratio of fat to lean for making pemmican is 50/50 which he then states provides 80% of calories from fat.  I did the calcs and posted them on another forum to show that Steffannson's numbers were incorrect and that a 50/50 mixture really provided 70% of calories from fat.  Another member of the forum calculated that it would really take 64%fat /36% lean by weight to provide 80% calories as fat so all the purists rushed to judgement that the higher fat content was the ‘correct’ amount because everyone ‘knows’ that a perfect diet provides 80% calories from fat.  It never seemed to cross anyone’s mind that the 50/50 mixture might be correct and that the mention that it provided 80% calories from fat was just a broad estimate and was neither very accurate nor important.

Lex

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 02:44:02 am »
  Nicola,  I have only my nine year old daughter with me part time.  She eats a standard diet, like her mom.    The early seventies is when I went raw.  Twenty years ago was when I started trying 'Instincto' and for the last two years have been mostly zc.  Presently I am still finding my way into what gives me the most energy, clarity and joy day to day; and here as it relates to consuming fat. 
     I contacted a meat processor and made arrangements with him to ship me the fat.  So far it's working, but I think my days are numbered with how many more times he will continue to ship to me.  For he's not really set up to do it. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk