Author Topic: Nightshade Sensitivity  (Read 3990 times)

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Nightshade Sensitivity
« on: February 23, 2019, 01:35:26 am »
I wonder if I am sensitive to nightshades. I don't eat potatoes but I eat a lot of tomatoes and peppers. Years ago I discovered eating cayenne gave me backaches. Recently I stopped using cayenne, which I was using sparingly and substituted paprika. Since I didn't see any problem with it I started using huge amounts. A few days ago I made kale in a paprika sauce and have been eating it till yesterday when I woke up with a terrible backache. So I'm going to quit all nightshades for a while and see what happens. Anyone here know if they have a sensitivity to nightshades?

Here are some nightshade links if anyone is interested:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/food-features/nightshades/

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/link-between-nightshades-chronic-pain-and-inflammation

http://blog.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/nightshades-arthritis/

https://blog.paleohacks.com/nightshades/

Offline Bradley David Good

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Nightshade Sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 04:07:37 am »
Yes I am very sensitive.  Haven't eaten them in years.  Also, look up nightshade spices.  There are several to avoid.

Offline Bradley David Good

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 04:40:35 am »
Oh, and I think that most people probably are very sensitive to nightshades, but most people have not tried living without them for a month to find out. 

You can find lots of links between tomatoes and arthritis or joint issues, and so on....it's just not become very common knowledge yet but I think it is gaining ground.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 04:53:00 am »
go to Bart Kays channel and watch his latest interview about oxalates.  most educational

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 09:00:50 am »
Thanks for everyone's input. I will go to the channel and watch the video. I didn't think I ate that many nightshades but forgot about tomatoes and didn't even realize that peppers were. Yes. Paprika is a nightshade. I'm going to check and see what other spices are nightshades before trying them. I used to put cayenne pepper on everything I ate and now I'm getting the same symptoms from paprika. This could turn out to be a really good thing. It would mean that I didn't burn my kidneys from all that heat but that it was nightshade reaction which is something I can totally do something about!

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:04:30 am »
Wow! Curry is another nightshade that I was unaware of and one of my favorite spices. Thanks for all your input. Sure hope this turns out to be the problem!

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 02:31:44 am »
I found out that tobacco is also a nightshade. Even though I don't smoke I roll tons of cigarettes for my friends and neighbors. Yesterday I started wearing cloves while doing this. I didn't know but there's a thing called tobacco poisoning from coming in contact with it.

I don't notice from day to day but it seems like my back is feeling lots better than a couple days ago.

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 06:26:09 am »
I used to have big problems with nightshades before I did my carnivore diet. But after that diet I am eating lots of tomatoes, potatoes, chilli (in liquid form), aubergines again and it seems to be fine. So carnivore healed a lot. But bell peppers are still a big issue, also chilli seeds. I would really recommend to go carnivore as I suggested already. When it comes to curry I had to be inventive and create my own back than when I had many food sensitivities. And the taste is very good. I looked at this recipe https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/homemade-curry-powder/ and swapped chilli with red peppercorns. Now I cant exactly remember what I had put in there but I think I did it very simply by using coriander turmeric cumin and red peppercorns only. i didn´t toast anything, i just did the ground red peppercorns myself, if u can´t do that use white or black pepper

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 05:54:25 pm »
I'm thinking my nightshade sensitivity is strongest with peppers too. I seem to have less and less back pain in the mornings every day. My back pain was also gone when I went totally carnivore but once I started making paprika sauce and dumping an eighth inch layer on my steaks it came back with a vengeance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk