Author Topic: Journey back to health  (Read 2463 times)

Offline birdy

• Forager
    • View Profile
Journey back to health
« on: March 03, 2019, 10:13:38 pm »
Hello all,

Ive been experimenting with low carb and paleo-ish nutrition since about over two years. "-ish" because I never totally eliminated legumes and grains, only the processed high carbs like white rice, pasta, bread and also dairy. I've been on a gluten free diet since being diagnosed with coeliac at age nine. Diagnosed with depression three years later. 

I am 23 y.o. Now and still struggling with issues like fatigue, waking in the night, brain fogginess, lethargy, anxiety, poor mood etc.  I had a blood test couple of years ago according to which I no longer have coeliac but I still avoid gluten and other stuff as I have a sensitive gut.
In general my condition has become better now, especially since getting off the meds (against depression and insomnia) I've been on throughout almost my whole adolescence. They sure put a toll on my body, esp. hormones and gut, from which I'm slowly recovering. Also been dedicating lots of time to self care in general.

Still, I also noticed that diet plays a huge role. Since I started changing my diet about two years ago, eliminating dairy and reducing carbs, I noticed its positive effect on my energy, mood and general mental state. Especially from the increased intake of raw vegetables, I think.
Also shed body fat as a positive side effect.

During the last half year though I fell back into old eating habits. I started having irregular or complete absence of my period and as I searched online I read that very low carb could cause that in women. So I started adding in more carbs, which hasn’t solved that problem for me so far though. I never went super low carb or keto though. I think the problem is that I've been experimenting a lot without allowing myself enough time to actually adapt to the dietary changes.
Ive been reading and sifting through lots of material on the topic of diet and most of it is so conflicting and contradictory, it can be very frustrating!

Also I've been doing IF with a fast of 14-16 hrs. Ive read a lot if conflicting information on IF (and diet in general) and its effect esp. on women.

My goal is to find a diet that leaves me feeling nourished, satisfied and energised and allows me to eat less frequently, so I don't have to think about and spend so much energy on food. 1-2 meals a day is what I'm aiming for, currently still doing 3 with no snacks.

I've just discovered raw paleo and it seems like the right direction for me. I've been starting adding raw organic eggs to my diet and want to start eating more raw greens and vegs again.
Also been considering going keto as it lends itself well to this diet and especially IF.

This was long but thanks if anyone has read so far. Eager to learn more, exchange and reclaim my vitality and wellbeing!

All the best

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Journey back to health
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:46:26 pm »
Bear in mind one aspect of being going rawpalaeo:- there is the matter of detox. Most people new to RPD diets have accumulated decades of heat-derived toxins from cooked foods so need to detox, thus feeling a bit groggy etc. for some days or weeks.  I for example went through an initial 2-3 day detox after going rawpalaeo properly, having green diarrhea every 30 minutes or thereabouts. I had further detoxes wherein I had flu-like symptoms(fatigue and a hot forehead) every 2 to 4 months, all gradually reducing in terms of severity, duration and frequency until they more or less stopped after 2-3 years. I still have detox symptoms, obviously,  if I go in for non-rpd foods, but this acts more like the equivalent of a hangover. Anyway,  it is often recommended to do a water-fast in advance, so that the initial detox episode is reduced when transitioning to raw.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Journey back to health
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 11:56:57 pm »
Welcome to the forum. I been either very low carb or zero carb for several years. I generally don't eat legumes but recently came off zero carb by adding salads and natto to my diet lately and it's nice to have some carbs back in it. It sounds like you are on the right track. Some people here treat paleo as a religion. For myself I'm just here because most of the foods that agree with me are paleo and the bulk of my diet is raw. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk