Author Topic: Raw fats are hard to eat. Sun cooking them made them palatable. Thoughts?  (Read 2548 times)

Offline the6step

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
I've recently started to consume more animal fat... which is incredibly hard, as my body interprets as "too cleansing" if that makes sense... but I could be wrong.

When eating raw animal fat, tons of it gets stuck to the roof of my mouth, and it's also very hard to chew.

What I did one day, was take the fat, put it in a glass jar, and put it out in the sun for a couple of hours.

Once I retrieved it, I noticed that it had been lightly cooked... and tasted delicious! My thought was that... if we ate meat and fat back in the day, that meat and fat most likely would have been exposed to the sun. There wasn't a "refrigerator" that existed back in the day.

Even this method of taking food out of the fridge 2-4 hours before it's time to eat doesn't work for me. If I wake up, I want to be able to eat. Also I'm in the position that, sometimes I get distracted, and then distracted to the point where I'm too hungry to wait, and then I have to order fast food or something. I need my food strategies to be flexible to my metropolitan life.

More than that: I can't really leave food out. The flies get to it and lay maggots (which might be fine in the country, but flies out here are disease laden).

With all of that being said: what I want to do, is heat up the fat that I eat in a toaster oven... for 30 seconds to a minute. My uneducated opinion is that this will allow my food to be more on demand for me... get around the fact that I'd like to not have to take my food out of the fridge 2-4 hours in advance, and it will adequately mimic how we eat fat in our ancestry (exposed to the heat of the sun).

Thoughts?

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Get a sous vide cooker. You can set it for the exact temperature you want to maintain the water. I set mine at 112.5 F for most raw cooking. I find that temperatures that are too low promote the growth of bacteria and make the meat stinky or sour. I live in death valley and the sun can actually cook meat to the point of well done. I find that I like fats either heated to 112 or ice cold from the fridge with lemon juice but not at room temperature. That's just me. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on this forum that disagree.

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
I've recently started to consume more animal fat... which is incredibly hard, as my body interprets as "too cleansing" if that makes sense... but I could be wrong.

I need my food strategies to be flexible to my metropolitan life.

Take it slow.

Thoughts?

Patience + Experimentation.

Offline MeateorMan

• Forager
    • View Profile
My alternative to sous vide is I place my meal in a container and float it in a sink full of warm water. Buy the time I'm finished walking the dogs my meat and fat are just above room temperature and ready to eat. I prefer to use glass but sometimes settle for a plastic bag even though plastic is an unhealthy choice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk