Author Topic: What if anything, might I be lacking, on a carnivore diet?  (Read 24973 times)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: What if anything, might I be lacking, on a carnivore diet?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2018, 11:03:33 am »
you could get Keri-gold from Ireland, good tasting, probably low amounts of grain given and or organic butter, where you're not ingesting Monsanto grains.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2018, 12:17:37 am »
Local supermarkets don't sell Keri-gold. I stocked up on 10 pounds of Land o Lakes that was less than half price. From watching videos it seems that dairy cows are fed some grain but mostly hay and have a pretty good diet compared to feed lot cattle. I may go back to coconut oil and olive oil. It's not set in stone. If I buy butter on sale and freeze it, it's a lot cheaper.

I been eating more and more wheatgrass juice powder.

Got triple coupons for pineapple making them 25 cents each. Cut one up yesterday and it wasn't as good as I remembered. It seems wheatgrass and cinnamon tea really kill my taste for sugar. Had some peppermint tea over at a friends house and it was much better than I remembered. Planning on starting back up on that too. I remember consuming it last April when I was in the best shape of my life.

I think it's best to only consume vegetables when I crave them and not because I think they are healthy for me. There's something to be said for appetite.  I also don't think consuming meat shakes is as bad as you make it out to be. Maybe you'll want to much at first but I feel my body has long adjusted and signals me when I've had enough.

Offline political atheist

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2019, 08:14:17 pm »
Preventing the meat to be digested is the key word I think. That is one of the reasons why I wanted to give the carnivore diet a try. In my own experience alkaline veggies and acidic meats do not go together well in one meal, provided you have digestion problems. I used to eat like that and I could never properly digest my meats, and I used to drink a lot of freshly squeezed vegetable juice aside of that. When eating way too many plant foods my stomach acid became so weak that the only way out of that was to eat strictly carnivore to get back what the plant foods took away.

I am regularly on the world carnivore tribe fb forum and all the time the questions you have pop up there. Which are lack of Vitamin C, Magnesium deficiency, Electrolytes and Salt intake on a carnivore diet. When you go through the articles and opinions readers post there, it is concluded that the Body does not need much Vitamin C on the Carnivore diet, since the whole metabolism chances. There are quite some people that take magnesium and electrolytes as supplements, and the general consent is that salt is vital if you eat cooked foods, otherwise things like cramps (as you mentioned) and heart palpitations can occcur. And most of the people there eat cooked, there are some raw carnivores as well but it generally seems that you need more salt if you eat cooked meats. I mean there are people there which eat strictly cooked beef, salt and water. Nothing else, and they healed all their health issues. I think the microbiome is changed in such a way that it can heal whatever made you sick, but the only downside is that whenever these people do cheat, the consequences can be very heavy.

I eat plenty of Salt, drink big amounts of raw dairy, quite a lot of water since I cook my meats, have mainly beef, so I don´t think I´m lacking any of the things above, the only thing that I am almost certain by now is that I am lacking certain bacteria to digest the food. I lost too many for various reasons, so that´s why I am currently experimenting with probiotics supplements and prebiotics such as inulin. The more dairy, honey and fats (in form of lard which has no lectins) I eat the more energy I have, the better digestion works, the better sleep I have and the faster I gain weight. If I don´t eat any raw dairy I can´t digest anything. Bacteria is everything. If you don´t have them get them back in there. Focus on the gut first, that´s at least my opinion after all I read and experienced.

did you ever try eating raw meat with cooked veggies in one meal, to see if you have digestion problems or not?
Pumping out units, I mean kids, aka bringing innocent beings into this ‘heavenly’ dimension of misery, suffering, struggling, pain and DEATH, WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION/CONSENT, is NOT the solution/remedy/cure for your personal problems/issues such as: boredom, poverty, selfishness, loneliness, low IQ, **megalomania, shallowness, emptiness, vanity, hero complex syndrome, narcissism, virtue signalling syndrome. Please stop being a sadist, masochist and find a more useful/constructive hobby. 😉

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2019, 08:17:37 pm »
Yes. I think the nuts and vegetables I was eating were preventing me from absorbing the nutrients in meat.

were you consuming raw or cooked veggies with your meat(was the meat raw or cooked)?

IMHO raw animal products(dairy, milk, eggs, meat, fish, organs, honey) should be consumed with cooked plant material(except fruits, nuts and seeds)[i.e. whole grain berries, veggies, legumes, tubers = these should be cooked if consume with raw animal products]
Pumping out units, I mean kids, aka bringing innocent beings into this ‘heavenly’ dimension of misery, suffering, struggling, pain and DEATH, WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION/CONSENT, is NOT the solution/remedy/cure for your personal problems/issues such as: boredom, poverty, selfishness, loneliness, low IQ, **megalomania, shallowness, emptiness, vanity, hero complex syndrome, narcissism, virtue signalling syndrome. Please stop being a sadist, masochist and find a more useful/constructive hobby. 😉

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2019, 12:09:17 am »
Personally, I  always had digestion-issues when mixing raw animal food and cooked plant food. Much less so, admittedly, with cooked rice and raw meat/raw seafood, but still not 100%.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2019, 05:54:04 am »
most here could use all the acid their stomachs produce to digest good portions of either cooked or raw meat.  To include vegetables, either cooked or raw,  is only going to neutralize to some extent the acidity of the stomach.   If you want to eat vegetables, eat them sparingly with protein, or as a snack or separate meal, or with some easily digestible proteins like aged cheeses.
  It's our acculturation that keeps us eating our meat with veggies ( besides our desire for taste or carbs like potatoes etc...

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2019, 05:56:46 am »
subscribe to Dr. Paul Saladino's Utube channel to watch his latest question and answer video on what might be missing on a carnivore diet.  As an MD eating carnivore, I think his perspective is valuable.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2019, 11:43:35 pm »
did you ever try eating raw meat with cooked veggies in one meal, to see if you have digestion problems or not?

Interesting that norawnofun mentioned in the post you quoted said he was experimenting with inulun.  I been strictly carnivore except for tea and a few supplements and the main tea I make is chicory which is famous for containing inulun.

As many of you may be aware of I was making natto and suddenly got tired of it. This lead to me going back to vegetables. The natto also made me crave caffeine which I now realize I am addicted to and feel I must treat like consuming alcohol. Total abstinence.  I think cooked food is also an addiction. I've gone back to 100 percent raw carnivore diet for almost two weeks and yesterday began putting some spices on my meat.

I can't believe how good I feel on raw carnivore. I wish I had never stopped it.

The cravings I've been having for cooked food and vegetables have been insatiable. I've been allowing herbal teas but that only helps somewhat.

I can't believe how fast my health deteriorated on cooked foods and vegetables. I also can't believe how rapidly it came back returning to raw carnivore. It's simply remarkable... 

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2019, 02:18:17 am »
I just did a google search to confirm. Inulin is a soluble starch; so I am drinking it when I make a cup of chicory tea. Wasn't sure about that. It actually tastes better than coffee but there's no caffeine buzz from it. It's also roasted so I'm sure it contains AGE's
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 05:42:39 am by surfsteve »

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2019, 03:13:36 am »
Raw carnivore is nutritionally complete. Your requirements for vitamin C are satisfied even without sweetbreads as long as you have a variety of organs.

You should abstain from salt and any added minerals. The amount of salt required is closely related to carbohydrate consumption. Because absorption of glucose requires sodium, which enterocytes can only obtain from the lumen of the intestine. If you eat a lot of carbohydrates, you need salt. If you do not eat carbohydrates, you have enough salt in the blood of raw meat. If you are cooking meat, you must add salt.

I follow raw carnivore PKD. 80% fat by ratios. Too much protein even raw will make you sluggish.

80% fat is KETO, not carnivore... carnivore is low fat high protein without ketosis

Offline Qondrar_The_Redeemer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2019, 10:13:26 am »
80% fat is KETO, not carnivore... carnivore is low fat high protein without ketosis
Carnivore and Keto are not mutually exclusive.

Carnivore means eating meat (organs, fat, muscle), fish, shellfish, eggs, insects and other animal foods only, it does not require high protein/high fat or anything else. Whether or not you eat high fat on a carnivore diet is up to you, although I would not personally recommend a low fat diet.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2019, 11:21:15 pm »
if fat is not at least 1.5 or two times more than protein, then, it is not keto.

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2019, 03:11:12 am »
if fat is not at least 1.5 or two times more than protein, then, it is not keto.
And how exactly does that go against carnivore? I'm not sure if you mean fat by weight or by calories, although it makes sense than unless you are eating low fat (which you shouldn't be in my opinion), you would consume more calories from fat than you would from protein.

In your example, if someone is eating 80% fat and only the foods I mentioned, then they are a carnivore and most likely in a ketogenic state.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2019, 03:15:27 am »
glad to hear others chime in about fat and protein...  Early man Most likely had availability to plenty of fat.   I have availability also to plenty of fat, and choose to eat plenty with my meat.  My guess is that most would choose the same when the fat is a tasty as the fat I get or the fat that came off of a large animal after a fresh kill back then.

I would love to be able to read more data on the balance of sodium as I've dropped salt now for maybe a month and do better with out it.  I know that Paleomedicina folks do you salt, but then they're not raw.

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2019, 03:55:10 am »
glad to hear others chime in about fat and protein...  Early man Most likely had availability to plenty of fat.   I have availability also to plenty of fat, and choose to eat plenty with my meat.  My guess is that most would choose the same when the fat is a tasty as the fat I get or the fat that came off of a large animal after a fresh kill back then.

I would love to be able to read more data on the balance of sodium as I've dropped salt now for maybe a month and do better with out it.  I know that Paleomedicina folks do you salt, but then they're not raw.
Van, I used to have the same problems most people report without, but with salt. After cutting out salt completely I felt good again and I've not used it in years now. I would assume that eating any salt messes up Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium and other trace mineral levels in the body (especially on a low carbohydrate diet), which is why I felt so horrible after eating any salt.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2019, 01:52:09 am »
what i mean is that if you eat 100g protein with 100g of fat or below per day, this i snot ketogenic

if you eat 100g of protein with 150- 200g of fat per day, this is ketogenic

regarding salt, im not sure... but Aajonus claimed you dont need salt if you eat raw food(animal and plant origin), but you NEED salt if you eat cooked anything

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2019, 03:30:53 am »
what i mean is that if you eat 100g protein with 100g of fat or below per day, this i snot ketogenic

if you eat 100g of protein with 150- 200g of fat per day, this is ketogenic

regarding salt, im not sure... but Aajonus claimed you dont need salt if you eat raw food(animal and plant origin), but you NEED salt if you eat cooked anything
If you ate 100g of protein and 100g fat, I would say that is probably Ketogenic, at least from my experience. You have to remember that 1 gram of protein is 4 calories, and 1 gram of fat is 9. So with 100g of protein and fat, you are eating around 70% fat and 30% protein by calories. You also have to remember that on a carnivore diet you aren't likely to be consuming more than 5-10 grams of carbohydrates a day, unless you drink milk or eat honey, or are doing something else which you likely shouldn't be on a Zero Carb/Carnivore diet.

It is also, from my experience, vastly easier to eat 100-200 grams of fat than it is 100-200 grams of protein. There is no source of very high protein natural food as far as I'm aware, and there's plenty of very high fat sources such as bone marrow and the fat you can get on the muscle and organs. Bone marrow can contain anywhere from 80-90% fat or more, while most protein foods are 70-80% water, then protein and vitamins/minerals.

Regarding salt, it never worked for me on a  carnivorous diet, even on a cooked one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk