Author Topic: Could wet dried meat be later dry aged in the fridge?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline jibrael

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Could wet dried meat be later dry aged in the fridge?
« on: November 24, 2020, 01:06:40 am »
I have got wet dried meat in the plastic bags (about 8 kg).

Now my question is if it could be put in the fridge and dry aged there for the next 3 weeks?

Offline kelpguy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Could wet dried meat be later dry aged in the fridge?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 12:47:10 pm »
how big are the pieces of meat?  8 kg sounds like a lot to mange but i suggest getting it out of the plastic asap and give it a try.  u could also freeze some to keep it from going off and deal with it later.

i've only air dried thin (1/4'') slices of beef on racks in the bottom of my fridge; i think some would  call jerky.  takes about 3 weeks to get it thoroughly dry but i start snacking on in a 4 or 5 days; tasty stuff...

Offline smokeyquartz

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 05:43:06 am »
I hope kelpguy is still here and can answer, or someone else with experience dry-aging.

I bought beef in the plastic wrap from the supermarket and I've been dry-aging it a couple days.  It has turned darker and tougher, like jerky, as kelpguy said.  I was hoping it would still be tender inside and have like a mold or other discoloration on the outside.  I feel like this is the kind of meat that I want (I don't want it fresh).  Is dry-aging the way to achieve what I want?  Or am I just going to be making raw beef jerky?

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 06:45:12 am »
As Kelpguy suggested, get it out of the plastic, and possibly cut down to smaller amounts.    You can dry age these independently to discover the best method to use for the remainder.

Offline kelpguy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 01:56:55 pm »
Is dry-aging the way to achieve what I want?  Or am I just going to be making raw beef jerky?

how thick are the slices ur trying to age?  mine are thin (~3/16''/5mm), it's for snacks.  i don't have any experience with anything thicker than that but i would think much thiker, one 1 for example, would form a crust and slowly dry from the outside in and be difficult to eat.  proper aging requires a combination of proper temperatures and *humidity.*

sabertooth has a post on here about his meat storage fridge that looks to be more what ur looking for.
also, wet aging might work for you.  there's lotsa info on the web on aging meat.  one site i enjoy is the bearded butcher; truly skilled artisan butchers.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=BeardedButchers+aging 

i'm in the bush in the filipines and i get my beef from the slaughter house vender at the local wet market where it's hung in crudely cut up chunks or strips and displayed on hooks, nothing like the plastic wrapped products u see in a supermarket.  works for me; i usually get a chunk of chuck, a heart and some liver and grind it; currently 8kilos chuck, 1 heart (~850g) and 500g liver.  i sometimes add a kidney or two and or a brain.  i was adding fat, which they give me for free, but i've learned that too much fat gives me diarrhea.

i recently found some of my jerky, forgotten, in the freezer, in an open bag and it's too dry but still chewable.  it had been in the fridge for at least 2 months and i wasn't eating it so i moved it to the freezer.  it's at least 6 months old now; it's still a good chew but i wonder about it's nutritional values.  the fat on the slices gets crispy; kinda nice...

Offline smokeyquartz

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 01:41:10 am »
It is out of the plastic and sitting on a plate in the fridge; it's like 1 inch thick slices.  It's basically getting hard and dry.  I'll have to look into the post by Saber and the other links you mention.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk