Author Topic: Raw Liver?  (Read 20898 times)

Offline sleepstalker

• Forager
    • View Profile
Raw Liver?
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:13:14 am »
Anyone been eating raw grass fed liver? If so can one build up too much iron?

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Liver?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 05:42:33 am »
I eat a lot of grass-fed lamb liver. I've never heard of too much iron. I've only heard of acquiring vitamin A toxicity.

I don't really worry about it because I eat pretty small portions and not every single day.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:49:44 pm »
I eat raw liver some once a week.  Sometimes several consecutive days like 1 tablespoon a day.  I don't pig out on it.  If you did pig out and eat a full lunch with just liver, that may be something to think about.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 08:53:34 am »
I felt amazing after eating great quality raw liver.

I would simply eat an amount thats relative to how much there is compared to an animal. Ok that sounds a bit limp, but lets say.... if I haven't eaten a decent meal for a few days, I kill a deer, there is only so much liver. I bare stuff like this in mind, it seems fairly simple. I would eat the organs/blood/goodies etc first, warm, then the calorie dense fat would be the mainstay. Everything else would be excess.

To me this seemed slightly slightly fairytaleish to me at first, but the more I eat meat and fat, and the more I think about animals, and getting my hands on a deer, it is slowly becoming less and less idealogy, and more reality. When truely hunger and listenning to your body, it all becomes clear....

I think even above the great health benefits of eating this way, I would have to say my absolute favourite thing is the new outlook I have on life. I feel slowly more and more grounded, and am becoming more able to see lifes simplisity. Maybe thats just part of 'heathiness'.

It is a definate possitive, upward spiral.

Oh but sorry, yeah liver was/is absolutely fantastic. I WISH i could get a fresh warm one :), but  quality grassfed/wild is still amazing -
 a slow introduction I find works better with new foods, so start with a little. Then more.... Oh and I just cut it quite finely, after letting it get to room temp. Then really relish the stuff (i eat it with chop sticks, served with a cup of warm water with a little sea salt dissolved in) its sooo good.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:36:40 pm »
I've noticed a rush of energy and vitality from raw liver, that's not accounted for by the relatively small amount of carbs.

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:02:09 am »
Raw liver tastes very like cooked liver.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 04:42:04 pm »
Raw liver tastes very like cooked liver.

Hardly. I've always found cooked liver to be overly dry while raw liver is often wet and bloody.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:23:25 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 02:58:31 pm »
Do you soak raw liver before eating raw, like you do when you cook it?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 04:24:47 pm »
Do you soak raw liver before eating raw, like you do when you cook it?

No I don't soak my raw liver - no need to as it's so bloody. When I was referring to eating cooked liver, I meant I did that only pre-rawpalaeodiet, as I haven't touched cooked liver since then.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 10:00:40 pm »
Oh okay. I normally buy a pre frozen beef liver. But I only slice it & throw some in with my egg shakes. Haven't tried raw yet but I'll be experimenting soon.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 10:39:30 pm »
I just tried a little of raw liver for the first time.  It tastes exactly like cooked only have more moisture and easier to eat.  I find cooked liver really dry similar to hard-boil egg.

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 08:08:25 am »
Cooked, to me taste like sand. Raw, has a slightly different taste to it.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 12:58:37 pm »
I just tried a little of raw liver for the first time.  It tastes exactly like cooked only have more moisture and easier to eat.  I find cooked liver really dry similar to hard-boil egg.

I think that's a good analogy.  Cooked liver is textured similar to cooked egg yolk.  I've never liked cooked egg yolk nor cooked liver.  Raw unfermented liver tastes sweet.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 07:55:03 am »
How do you ferment the liver?  just let it sit?  Liver is hard to eat, especially grass-fed.  It can be quite disagreeable.  It's really hard to eat more than 6 ounces.  I eat it anyways because I know the benefits of eating it. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:38 am »
How do you ferment the liver?  just let it sit?  Liver is hard to eat, especially grass-fed.  It can be quite disagreeable.  It's really hard to eat more than 6 ounces.  I eat it anyways because I know the benefits of eating it. 

Bison liver from Northstar Bison is actually quite tasty raw.  The raw venison liver I've eat, while probably healthier, is not nearly as good.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 10:51:40 am »
I agree about Norht star bison liver.   Simply leave it in the bag for  week in the fridge, then take it out and place it in a bowl in the fridge, turning it over every day or so.  It just gets better each day.  I don't like leaving food in sealed bags too long, for anerobic bacteria might be a problem. 

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 02:21:41 pm »
I just had raw liver for the 1st time, my 1st organ too. I can't believe how AMAZING it tasted, by far the best raw meat i've had. It was milk-fed veal liver. I will try liver from other animals this week, i hope i will like it as much. Would there be anything wrong with eating a good portion of liver every day, say 200g?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 03:23:55 pm »
200 grams is a good sized portion.  You need to listen to your body when it says go or stop.  I used to have a phase where I liked a lot of liver... some bit of liver everyday... then lately I just want it once a week.  I had some 200 grams beef liver yesterday.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline MaryC

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 02:57:37 pm »
Talking about Liver, I hadn't tasted liver since I was 7? Until yesterday and it was  -v

I mean I was cutting it to cook it (I’m not raw yet) and I almost cried  :'(

Should I add I spent my whole adolescence in a super low calorie almost vegetarian diet? So I guess you get the picture.

My question: Any of you guys used to hate it and then after several tries you got used to it? I'm really really, really trying but I need some "success experience" on eating liver and other organs lol  Anyone?  -[

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 03:24:55 pm »
    I didn't like striated muscle meat as a kid, but I managed to eat what they served me, until I turned veg.  I remember the (cooked) liver sitting there on my plate till it turned green many-a-time; because I couldn't stand to eat that either, it was worse than muscle.  I remember one time I managed to eat some liver, and I got one of my worst monster migraines, very apparently part of my body's response to liver.  I was so sorry I ate it, not that I enjoyed eating it at all.  Years later a doctor gave me a vitamin shot that turned out was derived from liver.  In response just after the shot I got painful agglutinations in said muscles that lasted for years.  Finally a doctor tested me for anti-liver antibodies (to my own liver), and I tested high positive.  I did have liver problems, lacking in enzymes there etc. 

Anyway, about six months into me eating RAF I tried liver.  My husband surprised me.  I was arriving back from caring for relatives, and he had some liver and fish he bought with intention of serving me, and drove both around for hours in the trunk of the car on a very hot sunny day.  I hadn't tried highmeats yet either.  He's a vegetarian and has always hated fish and very likely has never tried liver in his entire life.  I didn't know what to do.  I was very busy even upon returning and I had to eat, and did not want to insult him.  I ate both (and shared with my cats).  It stank, had turned colors and was slimy.  Surprisingly neither made me sick at all.

I've eaten liver (and high meats) many times since.  It's really quite different raw.  It never makes me sick.  It actually tastes good.  I like it with seasonings on it too, especially cinnamon which may help reduce its carbs.   

Talking about Liver, I hadn't tasted liver since I was 7? Until yesterday and it was  -v

I mean I was cutting it to cook it (I’m not raw yet) and I almost cried  :'(

Should I add I spent my whole adolescence in a super low calorie almost vegetarian diet? So I guess you get the picture.

My question: Any of you guys used to hate it and then after several tries you got used to it? I'm really really, really trying but I need some "success experience" on eating liver and other organs lol  Anyone?  -[
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 03:25:56 pm »
Been eating it for a month.  This is by far the worst tasting food to me.  I cut up frozen liver into small pieces, let it slightly defrost, put the small pieces in my mouth and down it with water.  I never chew the stuff it would kill me.  It digests fine I still get the benefits.  Feels like natures energy drink.  Raw Liver!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 03:58:54 pm »
Been eating it for a month.  This is by far the worst tasting food to me.  I cut up frozen liver into small pieces, let it slightly defrost, put the small pieces in my mouth and down it with water.  I never chew the stuff it would kill me.  It digests fine I still get the benefits.  Feels like natures energy drink.  Raw Liver!

I haven't tried it frozen yet.  I've seen it at WF where it looks like it had frozen and was defrosted.  Whatever it was, I did not like the way the texture looked, so I didn't buy it those times.  I did have desiccated liver tablets before, but I didn't take them, I gave them to my dog, who loved them.  I'm thinking of trying dehydrating liver.  I heard it tastes like chocolate.  Somehow I doubt it does though.  People tell me dried mushrooms taste like chocolate and that carob does, but neither do.  

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 07:06:22 pm »
Haha if it tasted like chocolate everyone would be eating liver! :D

Offline Stig of the Dump

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 07:29:14 pm »
I just posted on another thread, but I thought I'd say it here too.

I ate some raw calves' liver the day before yesterday, and it tasted just like cooked liver (which I love) but a lot sweeter and wetter.  (The cooked tastes like old boot leather in comparison.)

The liver had the odd hole in it like Swiss cheese.  Does anyone know if that means something about the animal's health?  It came from Germany, and it said the animals were "specially selected" whatever that means.  (In the future I want to get organic grass fed livers from my posh butcher, but I've been too shy to visit them yet.)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 07:35:18 pm »
Yes, I found the taste of cooked liver to be about the same.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk