Author Topic: Fermenting Flesh/Organs/Oils  (Read 3514 times)

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Fermenting Flesh/Organs/Oils
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:00:25 pm »
Hey all,

Hope everybody's good...I've not been on here in a week or two, mainly because I've not been near my PC...

I was wondering if anyone had experimented with fermenting meats/organs, such as with biotic marinades like unpasteurised, soured whey or sauerkraut water etc. I've been marinating meats and organics in whey, which seems to tenderise the fleshy/fatty parts quite nicely (it's not something I do all of the time). Obviously, there are other options like kombucha, mother of vinegar etc., but I've not tried them.

Raw liver soaked in soured whey at ambient temperature for 1-2 days seems to come out quite nice. I tend to mix the whey with more water and the meats in a jar, which I then place in a sealer/ziplock bag on my worktop/counter.

Of course, with whey, there's the dairy element, but if it's rinsed to some extent afterwards, I'm not sure if this would constitute anything worth even thinking about.

I started experimenting after my great experiences with lacto-fermented/preserved cod liver oil from Green Pasture - one of the so-called "sacred foods"! Of course, I understand that the ferments are native/wild around that particular medium, but it's always good to introduce cultures into things...

I spoke to the main man at Green Pasture and he said that they couldn't even measure a peroxide value after leaving the cod liver oil at ambient temperature with full oxygen exposure for days on end, so the lactic acid and possibly other elements in the fermented mix must be keeping those polyunsaturated oils pretty darn stable. One wonders if other vegetable-based oils (i.e. small doses of flax, hemp etc.) couldn't be complexed with similar preservatives/cultures to keep them nicely, even in the GI tract and beyond.

On the subject of vegetable-originated lipids, has anyone ever read about black cumin seed oil - pretty amazing stuff! I'm lucky to have someone who will press it to order for me (same as my flax and hemp oils), so it's super fresh/safer.

Any ideas/counter-ideas would be cool, thanks.

All the best,

MrBBQ
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fermenting Flesh/Organs/Oils
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:42:24 am »
Haha, is this a sore topic or am I just unpopular?!
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 02:10:27 am »
    Hi Mr BBQ.  Have you ever fermented meats in a ceramic pot?  I have a thread going on that.  You're welcome to participate.  I've never done fermented oil project, sorry.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:10:10 am »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:39:59 pm »
Most people just prefer to make high meat rather than use other means to age the meat such as fermenting. It's dairy-free and far better, I'm sure, re health.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk