Author Topic: Cramping problems are getting worse!  (Read 11996 times)

carnivore

Cramping problems are getting worse!
« on: June 09, 2008, 01:01:50 pm »
My cramping problems are getting worse!

I have read that it is a mineral deficiency. I suspect I eat too much muscles (especially pork) which is not a good source of minerals today.

I plan to eat more organs, seafood, and add some unrefined salt.

What do you think I can do to improve my condition ?
I have some magnesium chloride, should I take some?

Thank's for you help!

Satya

Re: Cramping problems are getting worse!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:40:49 pm »
Can you find small, whole fish to eat?  Cramping can be from low calcium too, I believe.  If you can find some dried anchovies and eat them like a snack, you will get plenty of minerals.  Best wishes to you.  I would supplement with minerals if it doesn't cease, but perhaps more organs and whole fish will do the trick.

Offline Justin

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 03:38:33 pm »
More organs and red muscle meat should help. An ancillary method would be natural mineral water as well. I use to get cramps in my calves real bad a few years ago and these things helped tremendously.
"You can train long or you can train hard, but you can't do both." -Arthur Jones.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:27:10 am »
More organs and red muscle meat should help. An ancillary method would be natural mineral water as well. I use to get cramps in my calves real bad a few years ago and these things helped tremendously.

Justin, do you eat salt with your meat (beef?) or did organs and extra meat do the trick?

I have noticed that different meats have an influence on water balance - I have been eating more beef and don't need to pee much (I don't like that as I am drinking water - so why does the body hold on to water?). Adding extra salt would only draw more water...

Nicola

xylothrill

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:18:48 am »
I haven't had cramping problems on this diet but I've recently realized that my consumption of calcium montmorillite clay may be the reason. Tyler consumes French green clay, if I remember correctly. You might want to give that a try as well.

Craig

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 06:10:29 pm »
I haven't had cramping problems on this diet but I've recently realized that my consumption of calcium montmorillite clay may be the reason. Tyler consumes French green clay, if I remember correctly. You might want to give that a try as well.

Craig

I don't think Tyler does eat clay on a regular basis.

The clay is ment for all kinds of digestive dissorders - it could also cause trouble...

Haitian eat clay, salt and plant fat "cakes" because they have not got enough food; this makes them very sick!

Nicola

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:33:12 pm »
I don't think Tyler does eat clay on a regular basis.

The clay is ment for all kinds of digestive dissorders - it could also cause trouble...

Haitian eat clay, salt and plant fat "cakes" because they have not got enough food; this makes them very sick!

Nicola

I only eat (French Green) clay once every 6 months or so.

I thought I read somewhere that magnesium chloride or some similiar compound used for magnesium-absorption (Epsom salts) had diarrhea as a common side-effect? I do know that pumpkin seeds are a harmless way to get lots of magnesium, even if they are tasteless.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:38:51 pm »
Yes Tyler I've heard the common side effect of large amounts of magnesium taken orally is diarrhea. In Europe they give Mg intravenously to bypass this effect. I'm not sure if dietary (in food) Mg would do it, but large doses in supplements do.

Offline Kristelle

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 10:46:13 pm »
I would add salt. If that doesn't work, add potassium.

xylothrill

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 10:52:37 am »
Yes Tyler I've heard the common side effect of large amounts of magnesium taken orally is diarrhea. In Europe they give Mg intravenously to bypass this effect. I'm not sure if dietary (in food) Mg would do it, but large doses in supplements do.

Magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) given orally does have a laxitive effect and even has directions on the box for this purpose. They do use Magnesium Sulfate intraveously in the US as well. My ex-wife was given it in the hospital as she had pre-eclampsia/toxemia toward the end of her first pregnancy. It's used to help control severe hypertension which could cause seizures.

Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide) is also used as an oral laxative. Perhaps all forms of magnesium would have this effect but I agree the amount in food shouldn't have the effect as it's probably balanced with other minerals such as calcium, which is known for causing constipation. The two compliment each other.

Craig

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 11:25:43 am »
I had the same problem and I've ordered the Azomite clay that Craig uses which I will be adding to my daily food ration. I think this is the best approach as there are dozens of trace minerals in it, and none of it is refined - it's just ground dirt -special dirt, but dirt none the less.   

In the mean time I got some of Peter Gillham's "Natural Calm plus Calcium"  It as magnesium, calcium and potassium in it.  I just use 1 tsp per day mixed with my food and my leg cramps went away within 2 days.  The list of ingredients are:Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Ascorbate, Calcium Gluconate, Potassium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin D3, Boron Citrate.

BTW, I also add about 2g salt to my food daily.

Lex

xylothrill

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 11:40:33 am »
Wonderful Lex! Now I can be almost positive that the Azomite is the reason I haven't experienced the cramping so many have complained about. I'm glad your cramping has gone. How've you been feeling otherwise? Any improvement in energy? As always, can't wait for your next update!

Craig

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 09:46:58 pm »
My cramping problems are getting worse!

I have read that it is a mineral deficiency. I suspect I eat too much muscles (especially pork) which is not a good source of minerals today.

I plan to eat more organs, seafood, and add some unrefined salt.

What do you think I can do to improve my condition ?
I have some magnesium chloride, should I take some?

Thank's for you help!

Have you read Aajonus Vonderplanitz?
Try green juicing to give you extra minerals.
Have you done any detoxing yet?
Have you done any fasting?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 04:48:50 am »
http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=367&page=1

MAC Wrote:
The Inuit people lived much of the year on coastal ice (which is partially desalinated sea water), and much of their food consisted of soup made with meat in a broth from this brackish source of water. When they went inland to hunt, they traditionally added caribou blood (also a rich source of sodium) to their soup. With these empirically derived techniques, the Inuit culture had adapted the available resources to optimize their intakes of both sodium and potassium."

Since I've been reading Not by Bread Alone which I hope to share with everyone very soon, I've learned so much more about the Inuit. Many researchers make statements about them without knowing the whole story. Stefansson notes in this book that there are some Inuit who did not eat caribou at all. They ate seal for the entire year. People were saying that the Mackenzie eskimos, with whom Stefansson spent much time, had good calcium because they ate bones. Their skeletons were on display in museums and it was reasonable for them to believe this. However, he states as follows:

Quote:
but there are
Eskimos who live practically exclusively on seal their whole
lives, and yet there is no indication while they live that they
are less healthy than the caribou eaters, nor do their skeletons
show a lack of calcium. Thus calcium deficiency is as
absent from those meat-eaters who practically never eat
bones as from those who eat them nearly every day of their
lives

Even the caribou eaters did not eat caribou all the time. They might have them one year and the next year, they might eat only seal.

Quote:
it can be stated simply and flatly that the man who
chews a lot of bones in a caribou-hunting year will chew no
bones at all in a sealing year

This makes my argument that we don't just get nutrients in our bodies based on what we eat. This whole notion got started when they examined people with deficiency diseases. They found them deficient in particular nutrients so therefore they assigned cause as saying that the subjects did not consume the nutrients. The truth is they only proved that certain foods can reverse the deficiency but they did not discover what caused the deficiency to begin with.

We find the same with cholesterol. Dr. Ravnskof cites studies that show that high total cholesterol serves to protect us from infection. If a person provides a lipid profile at the same time they are fighting off an infection, their cholesterol might be raised. This is in no way indicative of heart disease.

Researchers know that when a person is fighting off a disease, the body may lower its own iron levels to protect the body by keeping the illness from spreading. Adding iron by a supplement at this point would be harmful because one would be fighting against their own body. Iron is known to oxidize or "rust" things inside the body if taken beyond what the body requires.

Despite these repeated observations, we condinue to take multi-vitamins wily-nilly without regard to the nutrient balance in our bodies. We do so based on the fear that something may be missing from our "balanced diet." The whole "balanced diet" notion is a house of cards.

There is no doubt that low-fat dieters who only eat 2,000 calories or less and provide little fat for their bodies are deficient in nutrients. However, it's not because the food doesn't have the nutrients. It's because their bodies use those nutrients to process the unhealthy foods. The FDA has enriched every bit of food you can buy from candy bars to orange juice yet they still insist that people don't get enough vitamin this or that without taking into account the reason for the deficiencies. The nutrients are there but they are not being absorbed.

Taubes cited six studies in GCBC and in each of them deficiency diseases were brought on by carbohydrate-rich diets. This has been repeatedly demonstrated in animal studies as well. Deficiency diseases have never been shown on all-meat diets.

When addressing salt one should consider what causes them to be deficient in sodium or potassium. The solution may not be adding more sodium or potassium but removing those carbohydrates or perhaps even water that requires sodium or potassium to process it. If we provide too much sodium via the diet, the body may shut off its absorption of salt to compensate.

I don't konw the answer but I do know that for the last three weeks, I've been able to stretch in my bed without fear of cramping muscles and I've avoided salt.

Regards,

Charles

Nicola

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 09:13:48 am »
Excellent work. Salty meat (from blood) is very tasty.

I'm also adding a decent amount of salt to my Azomite.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 04:36:56 am »
Excellent work. Salty meat (from blood) is very tasty.

I'm also adding a decent amount of salt to my Azomite.

Well Charles has found not adding salt to work - as mentioned in my last post and now again

http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=367&page=last

Now that I don't add salt to my food, I've noticed that I don't have the little cramps in the bed like I used to so I'm expecting really good things this weekend when I race in Leesburg at the 20k.

Nicola

coconinoz

Cramping problems are gone!
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 02:13:55 pm »

in my case, here's what works to avoid leg cramps (charlie horse):

~ add a little of a brine made of celtic (or other) salt to my drinking water 8 hrs before using it -- kept in a dark cool place or fridge
~ use the brine w/ a dropper to dress my dietary land or sea meat, just prior to consumption
~ add a pinch of epsom sal (magnesium + sulfur) to my drinking water
~ drink only non-calcified water -- either artesian water from new zealand or fiji or local reverse osmosed & deionized (demineralized) water, which i dress w/ brine & epsom salt as stated above
~ drink water only 30 min before eating  as well as 3-4 hrs after finishing eating

notes:
(1) most of the waters in the us are really high in calcium
(2) dry salt sprinkled on food does not work for me: it causes leg or eye edema & slow digestion; salts are naturally dissolved in the ocean > brine
(3) water is by its own nature always flowing; stagnant water = bad news > i stopped using even artesian water because it's kept stagnant inside a bottle for who knows how long; local tap water is at least always running

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:21:28 pm by coconinoz »

William

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 04:33:03 pm »
Those at afibbers.com have the most experience with different mineral supplements, they have found that the right kind of magnesium is magnesium glycinate from Albion Labs. In Canada the brand is Trophic, in USA they use Doctor's Best.          An excess will still make you "go".
Magnesium citrate is a laxative; not recommended.
Potassium glycinate is the right kind.
None of them take a calcium supplement, as it aggravates their heart arrhythmia.

I've experimented with those two, and the potassium glycinate might do some good, not sure.

I use only dried seawater for salt, get no cramps. This is Le Paludrier from France, and it has some clay in it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk