Author Topic: To age or not to age?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline zaida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
To age or not to age?
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:53:09 am »
I am looking at getting half or a whole elk butchered. I have a rough idea what to tell the butcher as far as specifications go for the cutting. I am stumped on the aging though. I have read through the post as far as aging meats. Most butchers tend to age their meats for a few week or so before cutting to make it tender is my understanding. Should I get the butcher to age the elk meat or should I get it fresh and maybe age some of it myself if I want to?

Online TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: To age or not to age?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:58:40 pm »
I am looking at getting half or a whole elk butchered. I have a rough idea what to tell the butcher as far as specifications go for the cutting. I am stumped on the aging though. I have read through the post as far as aging meats. Most butchers tend to age their meats for a few week or so before cutting to make it tender is my understanding. Should I get the butcher to age the elk meat or should I get it fresh and maybe age some of it myself if I want to?

AFAIK, virtually all butchers age their meats  a couple of weeks(for high-quality meats like elk, they usually age the meats for 3, and occasionally, even 4 weeks). Just buy the meats and age them yourself if you want high-meat. The sort of aging that butchers do is only generally done at very low temperatures(just above freeezing), from what I've heard.
"What is the point of growing up If you can't be childish sometimes..." - Tom Baker as Dr Who.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk