Author Topic: Lex's Journal  (Read 824572 times)

Offline DameonWolf

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Lex's Journal
« Reply #350 on: February 04, 2009, 03:18:19 am »
Well I remember for the longest time my sister was struggling with her health especially her cognitive health, and she kept getting blood work done and it never concluded any thing. It wasn't until one doctor recommended she get a test for nutrients specifically B12. Turns out she had been B12 deficient for years and they gave her the usual shot and all her problems went away. From my understanding there are tests out there that will confirm whether you're deficient or not in every nutrient. I could be mistaken though, some thing along the lines of Spectracell's? This has become more of a question on my part. How would you figure out if you're deficient or not in the following things:

Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Vitamin E
Vitamin K
Thiamin
Riboflavin
Niacin
Vitamin B6
Folate
Food Folate
Folic Acid
Vitamin B12
Pantothenic Acid
Choline
Betaine
Calcium
Iron
Magnesium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sodium
Zinc
Copper
Manganese
Selenium
Fatty Acids

I'm aware the general tests you get cover some of these things, but I'm pretty positive they leave a lot of these out.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 04, 2009, 08:46:58 am »
Another issue is what does "deficient" mean.  With the boondoggle of the government's Food Pyramid showing that carbohydrates are the foundation of health and other fiascos related to Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for specific nutrients, who's to say what's normal - my doctor who suffers from gout and type 2 diabetes?

I would like to have a reasonable idea of how to interpret the results of any test I take before hand.  After many years of misery following traditional medical advice, I've become rather jaded.   For the time being I prefer to go by how I feel.  It may be true that my eating habits will ultimately give me a fatal heart attach, but right now I feel wonderful and I'm able to do the things I love to do - without the aid of a power chair, stair lift, wheel chair, or hospital bed.

Lex

Satya

« Reply #352 on: February 04, 2009, 08:54:16 am »
Lex, you just keep on truckin'!  I am moving closer and closer to less and less plant food.  I am doing it!  And it's reading journals like yours that just inspire me further along the path.  So much fear and misinformation out there, that a girl can get pretty confused.  You speak common sense that is just so lacking in our complex, bureaucratic world! 

Thank you.

Offline DameonWolf

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 04, 2009, 09:09:50 am »
Another issue is what does "deficient" mean.  With the boondoggle of the government's Food Pyramid showing that carbohydrates are the foundation of health and other fiascos related to Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for specific nutrients, who's to say what's normal - my doctor who suffers from gout and type 2 diabetes?

I would like to have a reasonable idea of how to interpret the results of any test I take before hand.  After many years of misery following traditional medical advice, I've become rather jaded.   For the time being I prefer to go by how I feel.  It may be true that my eating habits will ultimately give me a fatal heart attach, but right now I feel wonderful and I'm able to do the things I love to do - without the aid of a power chair, stair lift, wheel chair, or hospital bed.

Lex

That's the type of response I love to hear! Good on you man. I too am skeptical around the validity of a lot of this concrete medical science. I was just wondering because whether you like it or not, people see your story and talk about it. And since you disarm peoples points about bad blood pressure ext ext, the next thing they want to know about is mineral deficiency. lol, in other words I've been telling people your story and they don't believe it, and of course they want to see nutrient levels or some thing along those lines. I understand though that this isn't for them it's for you. I respect that a lot, your case is just phenomenal that's all.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 04, 2009, 09:31:22 am »
Dameon,
If you look at the tone of most of what I present it is just a documentation of my personal experience.  I make no effort to convince anyone of anything.  I learned a long time ago that trying to convince people that my beliefs were the only true and correct beliefs was a waste of time.  It was also embarrassing when I discovered that something that I was championing (like the vegan lifestyle) turned out to exaserbate the very problems I was trying to cure.   

Another bit of wisdom I picked up from a friend and mentor is the idea that you can't save people from themselves.  Like it or not, people make their own decisions and it is often counter to what I would do.  What I know for sure is that all of us will suffer the consequences of the decisions and choices we make.  I try to openly document the results of my dietary choices (good and bad) in a way that others can duplicate what I've done should they choose to try it for themselves.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 04, 2009, 09:36:17 am »
Thanks for the kind words Satya.  Hopefully others find my experiences and thoughts useful as well. 

Lex

JaX

« Reply #356 on: February 18, 2009, 04:14:44 am »
I tend to over analyze things and my desire to understand everything has done more harm than good in terms of my health, unfortunately.
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one.  It was all that analysis and following the gurus that led me down the vegan path and got me into real trouble in the first place.  Now I'm more inclined to let my body tell me when things are working, and pay attention when by body tells me they are not.  My tests and research are more geared to testing the theories and trying to understand WHY things are working (or not) rather than blindly following someone else's theories and taking their word as gospel.  It is amazing how willing I was to turn over responsibility for my health to
someone else (guru or doctor), and follow their advise (for 20 years no less!) even though it clearly wasn't working.  Oh well, live and learn.....

All my best to you,

Lex

It's a long path to discover truth in today's world. I also went through a lot and hope my body hasn't suffered too much in the process.. All the times I thought "well, if a little of this vegetable juice is good for you, then A LOT must be VERY good for you"... Do I feel better now than I did on SAD? I started having major health issues on SAD when I began eating too much grains and other not so optimal foods so YES I do feel better.. Maybe if I went directly from SAD to a BALANCED Raw Paleo w/ low or zero carb it would have been better for my body overall, to not keep it guessing every few weeks with a new change to my diet. But it's impossible now to know what would have been better.. At least trying all these things made me open minded enough to go for raw meat! I don't think I would have jumped from SAD to eating raw meat, I just wouldn't  have seen that as more healthy.  I guess I should have just listened to my body and not exaggerated when with things when I was FEELING that things weren't going well.. All the times I thought nausea/feeling bad/deprived/tired was detox...

I have actually come to realize that MEAT is the only food that it's almost impossible to exaggerate with. It's a neutral food that doesn't cause any specific effect. On the other hand, every plant, fruit, herb has some special property (some herbs being good for the liver, others for the stomach, etc etc) so it's easy to exaggerate w/ them since they also have secondary effects. Cutting out carbs also takes your focus away from food since it controls hunger, which I think leads to less exaggeration.

Most of the times when I exaggerated was when traveled and where only factory farmed meats were available.. I would then choose to go for whatever fruit and veggies were available, which really led to blood sugar problems.

The positive thing I try to keep in mind though is that the body regenerates more than 90% of all cells in just one year. So if you eat the foods that will support you for one year, most of the effects of the last years torture should heal (depending on the regeneration speed of the specific organ/body part).

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 18, 2009, 06:00:28 am »
Seeker,
I'm a firm believer in incremental change.  It allows us to evaluate things as we go along if we are willing to open our minds and critically analyze what we are doing and the results.  It also allows us to become mentally adjusted to options that are so foreign to our thinking that we would otherwise not consider them - like eating raw meat.  I've found that few of us (including me) will make a change based on facts alone.  First we must discover the idea, then convince ourselves that it is proper, and finally we are able to apply it.  This mental adjustment process takes time.

Sure, I wish I'd discovered this long ago, (though not sure I would have had the wisdom to implement it if I had), and expect that I would have avoided many health issues if I had.  Unfortunately I had many lessons that I needed to learn along the way and so my path was a rather crooked one.  Glad to say I'm here now and still learning from those like you who are following a similar path.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 16, 2009, 11:37:42 am »
I've been corresponding with Nicola off the forum and she has asked that I post some of the information that we exchanged.  Our discussion started off with Nicola sending me a posting related to insulin and fatty acids before and after exercise from Charles's Zero Carb forum.  In this posting Charles went into great detail on cellular metabolism, fatty acid mobilization, and a host of related minutia.  Here's my reply to Nicola regarding all the scientific mumbo jumbo in Charles' post:

It is human nature to want to complicate things.  It is very difficult to simplify - it goes against our core nature.  We want to know all the "technical" details of whatever subject captures our attention at the moment. If there is a problem we always seem to look for the most complex and convoluted solution.  I suppose this makes us feel smart or intelligent.  When I was younger I worked as an Electronic Technician supporting a research and development team.  I took great pride in my complicated solutions to the problems we faced - after all, I was brilliant, and my solutions proved it!  Even some of the Engineers were impressed.  I would spend hours working to solve complex problems related to things that, in truth, we didn't need to do at all! - what a waste of time.

In the beginning I approached my diet with the same scientific zeal.  I monitored cholesterol, kept my fat intake low, ate a very high carb vegan diet, spent hours with a calculator balancing amino acids using combinations of grains (rice, wheat, millet, buckwheat, etc) to assure that I was getting "complete" proteins.  I sprouted grains, legumes, sunflower & alfalfa seeds.  I made Essene Bread.  The book "Diet For A Small Planet" was my bible.  I avoided saturated fat like the plague, and consumed nut, grain, and flax seed oils.  My whole life and being revolved around eating.  I was always hungry.  I was always cold.  I had migraine after migraine headache.  I had terrible acne.  My teeth started loosing their enamel, and my general health was slowly but steadily declining yet I continued on this path for almost 20 years because all the published "scientific" research into human metabolism and gurus like Pritikin said this was the Holy Grail.  It could be proven scientifically that carbohydrates were "clean" burning in our systems and fats and protein from meat left large amounts of "toxic" waste that caused every disease known to man including heart disease and cancer.

Well, after I almost died from malnutrition I figured that I needed another approach.  I started questioning why I needed a calculator and a complex food combining formula to get proper nutrition - which seemed not to be so proper after all.   Then I did a bit of looking at what I was eating and discovered that none of the grains, legumes, or other foods that were the foundation of my diet even existed as recently as 10,000 years ago.  I went into wilderness areas to try to live "naturally" and found that there were very few sources of edible carbohydrates, and what was available was very seasonal and only available for a couple of months out of the year.

Over time I ran across the Paleo Diet theory and this seemed to make sense in context with what I had discovered about the "real" world.  Meat was  universally available all over the world all the time - unless it had been wiped out by over population or foolish government policies.  I discovered that many of the "studies" supporting all that "scientific" mumbo jumbo about cholesterol and fats being bad, and carbs being our best food was untrue - the actual data in the studies didn't support that at all.  In fact quite the opposite.  It was government and special interests that produced totally fictitious and biased reports supposedly based on the studies that turned meat into a villain.

I was still brain washed into believing that I needed to eat lots of fruits and vegetables for the "fiber".  There was also a belief that Paleo Man ate a diet high in fiber and this is what made him so healthy.  It never occurred to me that my own experience trying to live off the land didn't support this at all.  I found few edible green plants that could be consumed in any significant quantities, and what I did find were bitter, fibrous, and almost impossible to chew.  Wild fruits were small, sour, and only available for a short time during the year.  No way this could have been 40% - 60% of a Hunter-Gatherer's diet - 5% to 10% seems more realistic based on my experience.  Anyway, I ate about 2 gallons (8 liters) of green salad every day and then added about 8 oz (250 g) of lean meat - (remember saturated fat is bad so I was careful to trim as much fat off as possible).  In short, I was still trying to apply all that "scientific" thinking to a Paleo diet.  Doing complex routines of juicing, trimming fat, and making sure I got lots of fiber (at least 30 g per day).  Yup, I had that calculator busy all the time making sure all the complex ratios and fiber were correct.  My health improved but was still not great.

It finally hit me that Paleo man would not need a calculator, would not have eaten all those fruits and vegetables (maybe a few when in season), and diet would have simply been mostly meat.  I threw away the calculator and changed my diet to 3 meals per day of  8 oz cooked meat at each meal, a small salad (maybe 2 cups) at lunch and a piece of fruit after my dinner meal.  This simplified things considerably and my health started improving rapidly.  I stuck with this way of eating for about 2 years and over that period of time my headaches went away, my weight dropped, and I started feeling great.

I then found Geoff's RAF forum on Yahoo.  It was here that I ran across Steffanson's work and decided to try a meat-only diet just to see if what Steffanson said was actually true.  It was at this time that I reasoned that no other animal eats its food cooked so why should I.  I started cooking my meat less and less until finally it was raw.  I also figured that since I was trying to eat a simple and "natural" diet, then I should do my best to make sure that the meat I ate came from animals that had eaten their natural diet - hence grass fed.  I also determined that red meat would have been the most abundant and easily available to our ancestors who's only tools were sticks and stones.  Large animals could be wounded and then followed until they fell.  Birds and fish, on the other hand were much more difficult to capture without modern technology and the amount of meat they provided for the effort involved in capturing them makes me believe that they didn't make up a significant portion of a Paleo diet.  Therefore I based my diet around red meat.

It was a little hard at first because I was still convinced that all the vitamins and minerals I needed were in fruits and vegetables, but I embarked on the adventrue with stern warnings from my doctor that I would surely suffer from scurvy, pellagra, or some other dreaded deficiency disease.  I'm glad to say that my fears were unfounded, and it worked out better than I had ever hoped.  My health improved even futher.  I did start monitoring blood glucose and ketones based on Mary Massung's work in the Yahoo Saturated Fat Forum, but finally abandoned that as being rather a waste of time.  Our ancestors didn't monitor any of this stuff and the fact that you and I are here today says they were successful without all the scientific stuff.  I still worried over proper fat/protein ratios and did my "high fat vs low fat" experiment only to find that this too was a waste of time.  Why force myself to eat more fat than I wanted?  Why force myself to eat more lean than I wanted?  It made more sense to let my hunger tell me how much fat or lean to eat.  Yes, I could monitor Blood Glucose and urine ketones during the experiment but so what?  Even my doctor has no clue as to what is "normal" for someone eating an all meat diet.   

Other than through what I eat I have no way to control what the mitochondria in my cells are doing and I have no way of testing this anyway.  I can't monitor or control how fatty acids move in my body.  I have no way to know what's happening to all those calories I'm eating when I don't gain weight.  I can't directly measure insulin levels. So what's the point?  Speculation on any of this takes time away from working on clocks, making furniture for my daughter, hiking, and a host of other activities I love to do.  I've simplified my diet and life style by following the wisdom of my body:

I eat meat and fat in a ratio that satisfies my hunger.
I eat whenever I'm hungry (usually once per day, but more often when working hard)
I eat until I'm satisfied
I drink only water
I drink whenever I'm thirsty
I drink until I'm satisfied.

That's it.  I feel wonderful.  I have energy to do the things I want to do.  I spend zero time with a calculator, BG meter, or worrying over cellular metabolism.  As long as I continue to feel good I will continue with this simple approach.  Going Zero Carb started out as an experiment and it seems to be working well for me, however, I would have no problem adding a small salad or piece of fruit to my diet now and then as a treat or as permanent additions if my body tells me it's necessary.

Lex

This email was followed by a response from Charles telling me to read Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and then I'd understand the importance of cellular metabolism.  Here's my response:

Charles,
I've read Gary Taubes book, Wolfgang Lutz's book, Raymond Aduette's book, Steffannson's books, Lyle McDonald's books, Barry Sears' books, Pritikin's books, Atkin's books, Edae's books, Tobe's books and too many others to count.  All were labeled revolutionary when they were released and all represent a relatively narrow and biased view of the available information at a specific point in history.  Over time some have been proven wholly and blatantly inaccurate, others partially accurate, and still others full of omissions and half truths.  Time will award Taubes' contribution its rightful place among the greats, near greats, also rans, and scallywags.

I don't feel that theories related to cellular level metabolism add much practical value to everyday life.  Such research provides volumes of data but no wisdom.  Much of the data is of little value as we have no Rosetta Stone that allows us to accurately interpret its meaning.   My approach is to copy, to the best of my ability, what those who have been successful before me have done.   In every discipline there is a common thread woven throughout the lives of all who have had a measure of success in that discipline.  Isolating this golden thread from the fleece often reveals a simple and universal truth, that if followed, will achieve the desired results.  In the case of diet, no amount of biochemistry can alter that truth - it can only confirm it, bit by bit.  Unfortunately, none of the minutia of scientific data contain the wisdom necessary for the successful implementation of a comprehensive and practical dietary approach.  Wisdom comes from our body's innate intelligence and centuries of trial and error - not an electron microscope.

My time on this earth is limited, so I prefer to follow the wisdom of my body and those who've gone before.  I expect science to catch up and confirm its innate truth (assuming the political climate allows) long after I'm dead and gone.  The way things are going scientists and politicians may still be arguing about this for millennia to come.

Lex

Hope some of you find this useful in understanding my approach to diet and life in general.

Lex
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:52:46 am by lex_rooker »

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 16, 2009, 03:22:37 pm »
Certainly useful.

I've been fascinated recently while reading about cellular respiration and carbs and fats and protein. I've been considering continuing to study biology and chemistry to understand how it relates to RPD.

But..

Like you've said, I think that focusing on all the science of it is relatively meaningless in my personal life. Logic dictates that we eat what our paleo ancestors ate, and we have a good idea of what that was. The health improvements speak for themselves, and our bodies are very capable of telling us what they need and what they don't.

I hope that someday science will unravel why RPD helps us the way it does; but I highly doubt that will be within my lifetime, and I'm only 20.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #360 on: March 16, 2009, 06:16:01 pm »
It is extremely unlikely that a rawpalaeodiet would ever be vindicated scientifically. First of all, food-producing companies have a vested interest in ensuring that foods have as long a shelf-life as possible so as to make more money, so they will never fund studies favouring unprocessed foods. Governments also have a vested interest in the politically correct balanced diet, so are highly unlikely to label grains as being dangerous, since grainfed meat is such a staple, nowadays, and they wouldn't want to harm the grain industry etc.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #361 on: March 16, 2009, 06:17:56 pm »
Lex, the 40-60% figure you give is not standard Palaeo theory AFAIK. Most, if not all, cooked palaeodieters cite a figure of only 35% plant food in a palaeo diet. The only times I've heard higher figures given was from vegetarian-leaning types.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

« Reply #362 on: March 16, 2009, 10:10:41 pm »
Lex, you are brilliant!  And I think you should work this new message into your testimonial, because you have added some very important ideas that are not presently in the story. 

Also, I agree that we can get lost in a wonderland of minutia, and there are so many more worthwhile pursuits in life (like remodelling the bathroom with my husband).  My life is loads easier now that I have gotten my whole crew at least low carb, all paleo.  The time wasted on cooking exotic meals and stressing over various numbers just is not worth it, imo.  And is this worrying not what the "health" providers want?  They want us to worry and tweak things and spend ever more resources.  Is it not a form of prison that they wish to confine us in?  Breaking away from this micromanaged approach to health is true freedom.  It is a journey, and many people perhaps just don't see that we shouldn't need all this "health care," nor constantly worry about how much this or that we need in our diet.  We have been fed it so much via the media, that many just can't see beyond it ... unless, of course, they shut off the TV for a few years.

Interesting that when Barry Groves joined the forum there was much fanfare, yet he admits that he is not zero carb.  Not a big deal, but other newbies get a thrashing if they don't toe the party line just so.  At least that is what I have seen there in my limited reading. 

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 17, 2009, 02:46:26 am »
Lex, the 40-60% figure you give is not standard Palaeo theory AFAIK. Most, if not all, cooked palaeodieters cite a figure of only 35% plant food in a palaeo diet. The only times I've heard higher figures given was from vegetarian-leaning types.

You are right of course, Tyler.  Remember my background for 20 years was vegan so my reading was slanted heavily in that direction.  The numbers I gave are probably heavily biased by the vegan influence.  Statistics related to a controversial subject like diet seem to vary wildly depending on the bias of the person reporting the statistic.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 17, 2009, 02:53:04 am »
Lex, you are brilliant!  And I think you should work this new message into your testimonial, because you have added some very important ideas that are not presently in the story. 

I'm already busy 25 hours out of a 24 hour day, but I'll see if I can't find another hour to update my bio.  Of course then it will have to be posted and I haven't had much luck in that department of late.

Interesting that when Barry Groves joined the forum there was much fanfare, yet he admits that he is not zero carb.  Not a big deal, but other newbies get a thrashing if they don't toe the party line just so.  At least that is what I have seen there in my limited reading. 

Yes, Charles and his followers have made it clear that my ideas and real world experience are not welcome.  I post very little to his forum and what posts I do make, I make sure they tow the party line.

Lex

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 17, 2009, 03:49:17 am »
So you're no longer doing BG and ketone analysis? Interesting we got to see the last of your scientific meddling into your diet on this journal. Words of wisdom, I've been trying to apply them (common thread among successful individuals in all disciplines) to a lot of things in my life. The trick is to NOT overcomplicate, and the difficulty in that trick is the relative nature of the word "over."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #366 on: March 17, 2009, 06:27:24 am »
Yes, Charles and his followers have made it clear that my ideas and real world experience are not welcome.  I post very little to his forum and what posts I do make, I make sure they tow the party line.

Lex

That's strange. What views of yours did they disagree with, out of interest?  Was it merely your being mostly raw that annoyed them? It's funny, I'd thought that Charles behaved rather well when another yahoo group owner started behaving rather badly in various exchanges with him, some time back. Well, can't be helped.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 17, 2009, 11:53:53 am »
That's strange. What views of yours did they disagree with, out of interest?  Was it merely your being mostly raw that annoyed them? It's funny, I'd thought that Charles behaved rather well when another yahoo group owner started behaving rather badly in various exchanges with him, some time back. Well, can't be helped.

Tyler,
I've had a couple of rather poor experiences on Charles forum, and I learned my lesson fairly quickly.  Most issues revolve around my stating my direct experience on some subject that is counter to what Charles preaches.   On one occasion they were talking about long term fasting and I pointed out that I almost died from a 31 day fast, dropping from 180 lbs to 90 lbs, and as it was it took many years to fully recover.  Here's the exchange which is typical when Charles disagrees:

Lex Wrote:
Charles I assure you that it would not be possible for a person of normal weight to last 90 days much less 9 months with no food or water. As it was I went from 180 lbs to around 90 lbs in 31 days.

Charles Replied:
Fortunately for me, I don't have to rely on your assurances. This information was printed in the 1915 fasting study by Benedict, which is still the most authoritative study on the subject and here's another:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/article...id=2495396

If you want to know what happens when healthy people fast, you can also download the fasting study on this forum and we've covered fasting in great detail in another thread which you can also find via search. Taubes source on healthy people fasting and lasting 9 months or longer comes from Drenick of UCLA who provides the best science on fasting in modern times.

What is interesting is that if you follow the link he provides you find a one paragraph summary of a 384 day fasting experiment that does make is appear that the person maintained normal weight for the entire period.  However, if you actually read the study you find that the subject was grossly obese with a starting weight of over 450 lbs, was feed large amounts of supplements through the duration of the fast, and was allowed to drink as much water as he wanted - and at the end of 384 day he attained normal weight.

Rather than embarrass Charles and point out this out on the forum I sent him a private note.  He didn't have the courtesy to respond.  This type of exchange is typical if you aren't preaching the party line, and others have earned similar rebukes from Charles as well.  I am now very careful of what I post on that forum, and now seldom post at all.

The above is just a very short quote out of a rather lengthy thread.  If you are interested in reading the whole thing to see the context here's a link to the thread.

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/showthread.php?tid=1281&page=1

My initial post is on page 1 and I think I finally gave up on page 3 or 4 and slunk silently into the background.  BTW, if you think I was out of line or disrespectful in any way please let me know as this was not my intent.  I tried to make clear what was my opinion and when I stated what I thought was fact I tried to provide a reference.

Lex
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:04:32 pm by lex_rooker »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #368 on: March 17, 2009, 06:34:01 pm »
I see what you mean. Mind you, I've known other group owners who've resorted to using personal insults  in almost every post, so Charles is quite tame by comparison.
" Ron Paul.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 17, 2009, 11:21:11 pm »
I see what you mean. Mind you, I've known other group owners who've resorted to using personal insults  in almost every post, so Charles is quite tame by comparison.

Tyler,
Charles certainly wasn't abusive or anything like that, but it was pretty clear that my input was not welcome - especially since this seemed to happen every time I posted something.  Life is much to short to spend time and effort where it is not wanted.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 17, 2009, 11:31:23 pm »
Glenn01 asked me if I ever got tired of eating the same thing every day.  I thought others might be interested in this as well so I'm posting my reply:

When I first started the total carnivorous diet I did miss the variety.  What I learned was that the variety of foods was necessary when I really wasn't hungry.  As an example I found it easy to eat a salad until I was "full", and then immediately eat a quart of ice cream.  The reality is that I wasn't hungry when I ate the ice cream, I was driven by the different taste.

The same goes for eating 3 meals per day.  Breakfast foods are different from lunch foods which are different again from what I would normally eat for dinner.  Each meal is driven by taste or variety, not hunger.  How many times have you said "It's lunch time, what do I feel for today?"   If you have to ask what you feel for then you must not really be hungry.

When I converted to a "mono diet", where I was eating the exact same thing at every meal, my food intake began to be driven by hunger rather than taste or variety.  In the beginning I found that I'd look at the clock, saw it was lunch time and thought, "I really don't feel like eating that food I have in the refrigerator, but a hamburger and fries sure sounds good".  I then would have to admit to myself that I must not really be hungry so I wouldn't eat.  Usually by 4 or 5 in the afternoon I'd suddenly notice that I was really hungry and that raw meat in the fridge was looking pretty good.  I would then eat my meal.

It took about a year for me to break the "taste" habit and go by hunger alone.  Now I seldom think about food unless I'm really hungry.  I don't get up in the morning thinking about what to have for breakfast.  I no longer start thinking about lunch at 10 am trying to decide what I "feel" for today.  Same goes for dinner.  Now I get up in the morning and start working.  Sometime in the late afternoon I notice I'm hungry and I sit down to eat.    I eat until I'm satisfied and don't think about food again until I actually get hungry again which is usually the next day.

Most of the time I only eat once per day, but on occasion I'll be doing a lot of physical work like digging trenches for sprinkler systems and then I may get hungry around noon.  I'll eat my normal amount of food and then go back to work.  Then in the evening around 6pm I may find I'm hungry again and I'll eat whatever is necessary to satisfy that hunger - usually around an additional pound of food.

Lex

Satya

« Reply #371 on: March 17, 2009, 11:44:17 pm »

Charles certainly wasn't abusive or anything like that, but it was pretty clear that my input was not welcome - especially since this seemed to happen every time I posted something.  Life is much to short to spend time and effort where it is not wanted.

I hear ya, Lex.  At least you are not the only one he has singled out in this way.  I also think that life is too short to follow the thinking of any one person (health guru or otherwise).  Life is extremely complex, and information on the effects of fasting cannot be boiled down to a fasting study from 1915 and applied to everyone.  Besides, I believe it's pretty well documented that most animals will die without water for prolonged periods.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 18, 2009, 12:31:25 am »
So you're no longer doing BG and ketone analysis? Interesting we got to see the last of your scientific meddling into your diet on this journal.

I finally figured out that trying to "control" things was silly.  Our ancestors didn't control BG, Cholesterol, or anything else.  They ate their food and lived their life.   I also realized that I had no way to interrpret the data I was gathering.  If BG was 85 or 105 who knows what that means for someone eating a totally carnivorous diet?  My doctor is concerned because I have ketones in my urine at all times, again, so what?  He has no experince to tell him if this is "normal" for someone eating as I do.  The medical community has no idea if my cholesterol level and hdl/ldl ratio is good or bad as they have zero experience with someone like me.

I can do my best to take objective measurements and publish them for others to compare with, but other than that it is pretty much a waste of time (and besides, my fingers were pretty much shredded).

Words of wisdom, I've been trying to apply them (common thread among successful individuals in all disciplines) to a lot of things in my life. The trick is to NOT overcomplicate, and the difficulty in that trick is the relative nature of the word "over."

To "not overcomplicate" still implies that it is more complex than necessary. The real trick is finding the simplest solution and then sticking with it.  I've found that the basic principles of success are usually simple, the problem is making yourself consistently apply them.  We are easily lured away from the simple, boring, and repetative success principles by the glitz and glitter of the latest fad or technology.  I am not immune to this problem either and must remain constantly vigilant to avoid unproductive distractions.

Lex

Offline Tom G.

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 18, 2009, 11:47:10 am »
 Hi Lex.

'Just wanted to say hi, and thanks for all you have done through your experiments and documented material. I have downloaded your Pemmican manual for future reference, in case I ever run into someone that wants to make it. It is very complete, and if one were to make it as per your instructions, they should be able to avoid the many mistakes and trials that we have gone through ourselves.

Tom

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 18, 2009, 01:17:10 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Tom.  If you can think of anything that would improve the manual please let me know. Fresh eyes viewing from afar often see things that I don't. 

Lex

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk