Author Topic: Response delays  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Response delays
« on: September 12, 2009, 03:37:48 am »
A physicist friend of mine, Gerard Gewinner, has at my request written the following text intended to those who may think that feeling better shortly after a diet change is a kind of proof that their new diet is more healthy :

The response of complex systems such as the biosphere, the climatic system or a living organism to various perturbations is...complex. It exhibits usually an extended range of response or correlation delays that implies different things happening at largely different time scales as a consequence of the perturbation. Clearly such systems display historical character with their state at time t depending essentially on past events at all time scales.

In contrast many simple physical or technological systems such as a Geiger counter or a photomultiplier are characterized by and rely on the existence of a single relaxation time that measures the typical time scale over which memory of past events is definitely lost.

This situation makes the experimental investigation of complex systems quite difficult, involved and generates possibly a lot of confusion. For instance in life science this means that the effect of a  dietary change cannot be simply and reliably inferred from short term studies but should in principle be carefully observed over several generations. Just think of the famous Pottenger experiment on cats.

That is also why the experiments mother Nature has already done on our species in the past such as reported by anthropologists on our untouched by civilization hunter-gatherer ancestor's way of life and diet, are so tremendously important to acknowledge, learn everything we can about and finally try to take advantage of. Similarly in medical care if a patient feels better today, this unfortunately does not necessarily mean that it is merely the result of the drug swallowed or dietary change made yesterday.

Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

William

Re: Response delays
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:03:02 am »
Feeling worse after a diet change is also not proof that the new diet ain't working.
For instance, the reported lethargy for the first weeks or more of the change to raw zero carb.

Some carefully investigated faith is not a bad thing.

Online goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Response delays
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:58:06 am »
2 months of raw vegan showed me it was unsustainable for myself.
2 months of raw fruitarian showed me it was unsustainable for myself.

So far 20 months of RPD has been very good to me and very easy and very convenient.

I'm moving my children to paleo diet raw / cooked... going more raw later... we will see soon enough.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk