Author Topic: Shoes roundup  (Read 56873 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Shoes roundup
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2013, 12:49:58 pm »
Haha got me on the link.

I cannot find a product name in the WR boot. I got it at Mark's (Work Wearhouse) about a year ago. The shoe is a nicely made unit and Merrill make excellent shoes also.
Cheers
Al

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2013, 01:17:00 am »
You might also consider the RunAmok Dash made by Soft Star Shoes. I've bought Soft Star Shoes for years, and like them. They wear out after a year, but I haven't found a more mocassin-like shoe that lets me feel the ground better.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2013, 08:40:45 am »
Haha got me on the link.

I cannot find a product name in the WR boot. I got it at Mark's (Work Wearhouse) about a year ago. The shoe is a nicely made unit and Merrill make excellent shoes also.
I'm confused. The slant glove is not a boot, it's a barefoot style shoe. Do you have a Windriver shoe similar to that or to a boot?

You might also consider the RunAmok Dash made by Soft Star Shoes. I've bought Soft Star Shoes for years, and like them. They wear out after a year, but I haven't found a more mocassin-like shoe that lets me feel the ground better.
Thanks, I have a pair of the Dash's and don't like them. I think the main problem is that I bought the thicker sole with better traction after many people complained about the slippery traction of their thinner sole. I can only wear them on soft ground without damaging my left foot and ankle and I find that the Merrells work  as well or better on all surfaces, so I haven't been wearing the Dash's much, even though they're technically more like a barefoot shoe. I also don't like the way it looks with my toes poking out in a rise in the front, though I think I recall some people saying that gets less obvious after a while.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2013, 12:32:34 pm »
Yeah, I bought one pair of the 6 mm soles and never bought another. I only use the 2 mm soled versions. I haven't had problems with poor traction on the thinner sole, although I've trained myself to walk very lightly so the tread lasts a very long time. I suspect people who walk heavy or who drag their feet might wear the traction out very quickly, yielding a perfectly smooth surface.  Not sure what you mean about your toes poking out in a rise in the front. Are we talking about the same shoe?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2013, 04:17:33 am »
Below is an explanation of the toe bulge issue. The shoe isn't the exact same one as I have, but the result is similar (I think it's actually more prominent on mine, IIRC). I don't like the way it feels, to have my toes pressing against the upper, and I've gotten some negative comments about it too. It even leaves pronounced toe dents in the shoes.

I could probably buy a larger size to reduce this, but my feet already look clownishly long as it is, and they look much more normal in the Merrells. The Softstar shoes are the only one's I've had this problem with, likely due to the soft upper.

One unique aspect of these shoes is the fact that there is basically no structure in the upper. The leather will actually just lie against your foot. This means that you can actually usually see the outline of your toes while wearing the RunAmocs.

>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk