Author Topic: publishable research  (Read 5633 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
publishable research
« on: June 30, 2008, 11:34:25 am »
What do you guys think about trying to get together a bunch of people to take strict notes of their diet and blood numbers (ala Lex) and try and publish the data in a scientific journal? Get the paleo diet some light in the scientific community.

We could have people keep constant carbs/protein/fat for about 2 weeks or more and then change the carbs/fat ratio while keeping calories the same and that might lead to interesting blood changes, maybe some weight difference as well.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: publishable research
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:36:58 pm »
You'd need a standard scientist to do the study and very few scientists would be prepared to risk their careers on such a topic, I suspect. There might be a very few exceptions like Richard Wiseman and the like, though.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:41:29 pm »
I don't think you "need" that. Well maybe to get published because the system is so corrupt, but I've done research in school and it's pretty laid back. I could even try and get one of my professors to say that it was done at my alma mater for some added credentials.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:34:41 am »
Self Experimentation TV show

"Killer bugs like the plague, cholera and typhoid were all brought under control by adventuring self-experimenters, injecting and ingesting some of the most terrifying diseases known to man"

There's a TV show on tonight involving doctors who use themselves as guinea pigs to prove their theories. From the advert it seams some of the experiments included

-living on seal blubber
-eating human faeces, scabs and injecting blood from those infected with pellagra to prove it's not infectious
 -Louis Pasteur injecting himself with rabies to find a vaccine

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/200807/programs/ZY9097A003D1072008T203500.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/netw/200807/programs/ZY9097A004D8072008T203500.htm

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:16:47 am »
Kyle,
I think it is a great idea.  I also know that it is a lot of work and won't be easy, but that's what makes it worthwhile.  There is no reason you couldn't put together a study and recruit a group of willing people to particpate and then publish the results yourself. It would make a great Master's Thesis.  There would be a lot to do in setting up the rules, what parameters to measure, protocol for taking the measurements, and determining how to assure that the participants are not cheating etc, etc.

Even if you didn't publish, the knowledge gained could be great foundation for starting your own business on diet and performance consulting.

One thing I've learned in my 58 years is that many lay people are as intelligent or even more so than the folks with the fancy titles, and much of what we do is more meaningful.

Go for it!

Lex

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:56:20 am »
I just emailed a former professor, I'm going to try and meet with her about masters programs and to see if I could do research like that. If I could do something I wanted and get a degree from that, something meaningful and not just to make some company money (pharmaceuticals, "environmental" bs to green wash).

Thanks for the replies guys.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:19:41 am »
My professor hasn't emailed me back :(

Maybe she's on vacation. I find it hard to believe she wouldn't have answered me after a couple of weeks.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 11:46:37 am »
Kyle,
Not sure if you've seen the latest posts in my journal.  I've put up my latest blood tests today and last Sunday I posted a 6th week update on the parameters I'm following on my dietary experiment.  The blood tests surprised my doctor.  He expected Cholesterol to be off the charts since I raised saturated animal fats and reduce protein. The reverse happened - total Cholesterol fell 20 points and the HDL/LDL ratio improved!

Lex

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk