Author Topic: Southeast Asia here i come!  (Read 42480 times)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
Southeast Asia here i come!
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:09:47 am »
This summer my family is planning on going to thailand for a few weeks. i will be done with college and will probably stay for longer and possibly work on a farm (WWOOF) or just bum around. anyways, i want to use this thread to get ideas on how to stay mostly raw paleo on my travels. Also, as noted in the vaccine thread, i am interested in any input on which vaccines are recommended and safe. Hopefully i will also be able to go to nearby countries such as cambodia and vietnam. Also, i'm very interested in visiting the phillipines and would love to meet up with goodsamaritin. anywho, i'll keep this updated as i figure out more about my upcoming trip

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Southeast Asia here i come!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:36:52 pm »
Sweet!

I don't know anyone who gets vaccines for Thailand or even Bali. I remember people used to get the malaria tablets but they don't even work.

So when you heading? I've been thinking of heading up to SE asia.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 10:20:27 pm »
interesting andrew. and those people didnt get sick im assuming  ;). we're thinking we will be going late next summer (july or august). no definite plans yet though

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 10:24:24 pm »
If I were you, I wouldn't take any vaccines whatsoever.
Re malaria - Hindu people who drank water from Ganges didn't get sick; they didn't need any harmful vaccines
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:32:07 pm »
If I were you, I wouldn't take any vaccines whatsoever.
Re malaria - Hindu people who drank water from Ganges didn't get sick; they didn't need any harmful vaccines

yeah but the thing is, i have no previous exposure to these tropical diseases like those hindus did.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:46:57 pm »
yeah but the thing is, i have no previous exposure to these tropical diseases like those hindus did.
Are you accustomed to thiomersal that is present in vaccines? I don't think so
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 10:50:15 pm »
You are just going to Thailand for a few weeks.
Probably in civilized places.
I don't see why you need vaccinations.
My wife and I spent a 1 month vacation in Thailand and we weren't recommended any vaccinations, and this was during my non-health aware stage in life.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 05:01:42 am »
Are you accustomed to thiomersal that is present in vaccines? I don't think so

exactly! so there's my dilemma: is it worse to get the shit that's in vaccines or potentially get sick from diseases i have no immunity to?

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 05:03:25 am »
You are just going to Thailand for a few weeks.
Probably in civilized places.
I don't see why you need vaccinations.
My wife and I spent a 1 month vacation in Thailand and we weren't recommended any vaccinations, and this was during my non-health aware stage in life.

well that's the thing. im going with my family to civilized places for a few weeks, but once they leave me behind, im looking at working on farms and venturing to more distant places. not sure how long im staying

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 08:15:11 am »
well that's the thing. im going with my family to civilized places for a few weeks, but once they leave me behind, im looking at working on farms and venturing to more distant places. not sure how long im staying

Maybe you need a Thai resident health expert and ask what diseases are in their provinces, what are in the Thai distant places.

For example, my wife works with Shell Philippines Exploration and she steers a foundation in the remote province of Palawan.  The corporation and the foundation have an anti-malaria project.  In the regular civilized places, there is the common malaria disease brought by mosquitos, that with detection can be treated by their existing drugs easily.  But they say if you are venturing deep into the forest to reach the remote tribes, the cerebral malaria strain there is different and instantly lethal... as a Manila based reporting team headed by Reyster Langit found out much later on whether they were uninformed or they disregarded the warnings. (they all died).

I remember many years ago I was working with our french equipment supplier and one of the french technicians who ventured into ivory coast in africa got hit by elephantiasis (?), strange ivory coast disease so they needed help from ivory coast experts who knew exactly what it was and what to do.  He survived.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 06:54:55 am »
alright guys, my dad just got approved to take of from work for 2 months! it looks like we're going to thailand at the end of may. he's going back at the end of july, but im not sure what im gonna do. i might stay there for longer depending on how i like it. we're also probably going to go to the philippines, cambodia, and maybe malaysia or vietnam.

anyways, im excited! but, i need to figure out what im gonna do for food over there. i will most likely be eating more fruit than i am now but i need meat and fat, period. im hoping the meat and fat is of fairly high quality at the markets. also, i'll be eating more seafood and i've heard a lot of the markets sell insects (ant larvae sounds delicious!). so, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. i know aajonus goes to thailand a lot. anyone know what/where he eats?

also, still trying to decide whether to get vaccines or not... help appreicated

thanks guys

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 07:18:25 am »
Don't get vaccinated.

I spent 3 months in thailand and came back 2 months ago. I hardly got any insect bites and I never even saw bugs there.

Also with the meat it's not going to be a problem. Just don't be afraid, thailand isn't dirty at all.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 08:16:09 am »
thanks for the reassurance on the vaccinations.

also, that's great to hear that meat shouldn't be a problem! so what all did you eat while you were there? i'd be really interested to hear how you went about getting food (were you raw paleo then?). im assuming you can also get fat where the sell meat? seriously though, tell me more if you have time

also, what did you do while you were there? was it mostly sightseeing or what? what cities/areas did you like best? sorry for all the questions but im really curious
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:24:39 am by yon yonson »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 08:59:00 am »
I'm in Manila, Philippines.

I"ll see to it you get fed and I can be your tour guide.

We have nature spots, beaches, mountains and historical sites.

If you have ladies with you, they like shopping.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 10:18:22 am »
My mum eats raw meat and just got back from Vietnam, she said there's heaps of markets selling raw meat and fish. The place is one big market and it's all very cheap. My folks didn't get vaccinated. Oh yeah they went to Cambodia too.

Albert Camus

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 10:57:42 am »
yon, i have no advice re vaccines, but so exciting that you seem to always be up to some new adventure! 

My mum eats raw meat...

i think that's amazing!, my mom is so far from that place.  i'm afraid for her visits now that my fridge is a meat locker :)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 12:07:43 pm »
I'm in Manila, Philippines.

I"ll see to it you get fed and I can be your tour guide.

We have nature spots, beaches, mountains and historical sites.

awesome! i'll definitely be contacting you if/when we get to the philippines. can't wait! i can just see us both gorging on horse meat while my dad stares, ha. but he's pretty open, so im sure he'll try it.

wodgina: that's reassuring, thanks. also, didn't you mention you're maybe going to thailand this summer (winter for you)?

ioanna: thanks, im excited too!

Offline Rawzilla

• Forager
  • Good flesh is hard to find
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 02:23:43 pm »

They always do l)
“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

Offline Rawzilla

• Forager
  • Good flesh is hard to find
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 04:13:24 pm »
Don't get vaccinated.

Vaccines are dangerous and of dubious value, do not get vaccinated under any circumstances.

I spent 3 months in thailand and came back 2 months ago. I hardly got any insect bites and I never even saw bugs there.

You don't need anti-malarials either (quite toxic by themselves), but less toxic is to rub 30% DEET over your entire skin surface except eyes of course, every 8 hours.  AND that is ONLY if you're heading to the Burmese border in north Thailand, the interior of Cambodia, or Palawan in the Philippines (already posted).  Compared to 50 years ago there is very little problem in the region, thanks to deforestation :'(.  Which concurs with everyone else, though I know you just needed to hear it from someone who has stayed in Asia 20 years.
“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 08:03:05 pm »
awesome! i'll definitely be contacting you if/when we get to the philippines. can't wait! i can just see us both gorging on horse meat while my dad stares, ha. but he's pretty open, so im sure he'll try it.

wodgina: that's reassuring, thanks. also, didn't you mention you're maybe going to thailand this summer (winter for you)?

ioanna: thanks, im excited too!

I've been planning to go the Indo(nesia) for a while!

Albert Camus

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 11:35:02 am »
thanks for sharing your experience rawzilla.

wodgina: there is a slight possibility i will also be going to indonesia

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 07:31:03 am »
update: we finalized our trip. we're flying to bangkok on may 30th and flying back july 31st, but i may pay the fine to cancel my flight back if i so choose ;)

also, i was wondering if anyone had any good tips on avoiding mosquitoes. i would prefer not to put DEET all over me. im sure there are some natural insect repellants that work well such as various herbs or the consumption of specific foods. any advice welcome.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 07:52:17 am »
how exciting!!  will you have computer/internet access?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 08:01:54 am »
also, i was wondering if anyone had any good tips on avoiding mosquitoes. i would prefer not to put DEET all over me. im sure there are some natural insect repellants that work well such as various herbs or the consumption of specific foods. any advice welcome.
A quick Google search brought up Thai Lemon Grass. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 08:04:32 am »
well im not bringing a computer because i'll be living out of one small backpack. but, im sure i'll be able to go to an internet cafe every once in a while. also, if we stay at a hotel, they usually have a computer for internet usage. i'll try and make quick updates when i can i guess.

can't believe it's only two months away!

oh yeah, so here's the tentative route we will be taking (i must reiterate, it's completely tentative. we have no real plans):

start in bangkok, go to ko samet (southeast coast), then to angkor wat (cambodia), then maybe to vietnam briefly, then to chiang mai/chiang rai (northern thailand), then back to bangkok so we can fly to philippines for a few weeks, fly back to bangkok, meet up with my brother and mom in ko samui (southern thailand). pretty general idea of what we might do...

my cousin who is going with us is planning on staying at a muy thai training camp for a few weeks in chaing mai which i think is pretty awesome. he's really in to MMA and kickboxing right now so should be an amazing, if humbling, experience for him. but i don't think im gonna join him, ha. i'd rather go to the philippines
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:17:59 am by yon yonson »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk