Author Topic: Southeast Asia here i come!  (Read 42493 times)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Southeast Asia here i come!
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 04:07:09 am »
thanks for the input luis. im hoping that i'll be ok eating the raw meats in thailand and vietnam because recent experiments tell me i can't handle cook foods comfortably. i know aajonus says thai beef from the markets is his favorite meat... hopefully i'll feel the same. i've also spoken to an rpder (ZCer actually) from thailand. they say the beef in the markets is safe in general. so is the fish. however, i do anticipate eating much more fruit than i do here because: a) they are supposed to have amazing fruit (durian!) b) it's gonna be hot so i won't need to eat as much fat.

i also will probably eating lots of raw eggs as those are convenient and easy to find (i assume). but i will probably have to compromise a little and eat some cooked foods such as balut, cooked insects, soups, etc. I also think i'll be eating lots of young coconut.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2010, 04:27:40 pm »
Motorbikes, cockfights, MMA and girls. What a trip!
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2010, 11:41:14 pm »
hey does anyone know what i can and can't bring on international flights as far as food goes? some things i was considering: dried suet, beef jerky, raw eggs. i was also thinking avocados and some fruit but i seem to recall that fruits and veggies aren't allowed through customs... i hope my beef jerky and raw eggs and suet make it through customs. otherwise im kinda screwed for like at least 20 hours.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2010, 12:13:30 am »
here is the TSA site, you might want to check the airline as well

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm

Put in ziplock bags or sealed containers, likely if it just goes through the x-ray and looks harmless they won't bother with it, but if they do search it might be better if the suet if vac packed if possible. Although I don't see how legally it would be in violation, but they can hassle anybody. The eggs might be a flag/customs thing too, but it looks like they have eased up somewhat on fruits, (at least leaving the country maybe?) so avos seems to be a good last resort. But better to confirm with the airline beforehand. If big chunks of each seem dubious, you might also do better breaking everything down into Tupperware container 'meals' - the chunks of jerky and fat, and throw some lettuce on top or something for good measure. GL

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2010, 05:38:00 am »
hey does anyone know what i can and can't bring on international flights as far as food goes? some things i was considering: dried suet, beef jerky, raw eggs. i was also thinking avocados and some fruit but i seem to recall that fruits and veggies aren't allowed through customs... i hope my beef jerky and raw eggs and suet make it through customs. otherwise im kinda screwed for like at least 20 hours.

Good idea.  Can I taste your USA food?  Don't know what beef jerky tastes like, nor dried suet.

Avocados are still in season here and fruits are tons plenty and cheap in this part of the world.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2010, 07:59:38 am »
A guy on ZIOH did the Atlantic crossing regularly and had no trouble from what I remember with pemmican. He referred to them as gluten free muffins!

I've watched a few english Airport customs TV shows and people bring all sorts of different foods into the UK so I think you'll be fine. Jerky would be enough for 20 hours for me personally maybe an Avocado or two would do it.

I know you can take all sorts of food internationally although don't bother bringing anything to Australia. Very strong biosecurity rules.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2010, 04:12:26 pm »
I have had issues with travelling with water - liquids are nowadays forbidden unless you buy the mineral-water etc. from a shop in the airportie have a receipt for the water) and if it's closed. At least that's what happened to me in Vienna airport, and other airports have banned me from taking  any liquids at all.

In the US, it's even more ridiculous with them asking questions on forms about whether you are illegally intending to bring things like oranges or apples across the State-line etc. Well, maybe it's changed since, as that was my experience in the early 90s in the US.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2010, 11:03:27 pm »
thanks for the tips guys. im gonna go get some of those raw food bars they sell now (with nuts and fruit and stuff) as a last resort because i know those can go. im gonna bring lots of jerky and suet too and we'll just see what happens. if i get the jerky to thailand, i'll be sure and save you some gs  ;). i think i might leave the eggs behind. im pretty sure those would get confiscated. i might take an avocado or two though. i leave tomorrow morning! ready for all 24 hours of our flight (including a layover in tokyo)!

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2010, 01:57:40 am »
I would test how the bars make you feel before the flight. You don't want to be on a airplane for that long, or at the start of a trip feeling crappy. Assuming you can sleep for some of it, the main issue is not becoming dehydrated. I would definitely stock up on water at the airport, as many companies do not even serve clean water.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2010, 05:43:28 am »
My SMS / VOICE #: +63-922-8969975

Have a nice trip!

Send me a test message.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2010, 11:17:57 am »
hey gs, we're not bringing a cell phone. i think it will be easiest to stay in touch via email/messaging. but i will call when i know when we will be in the philippines.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2010, 12:13:27 pm »
we made it to bangkok! and i made it with some jerky and suet! just had durian for breakfast. some of the meat here looks a little suspect but i haven't been to one of the nicer markets yet. anyways, just a quick update. oh, on our layover in tokyo i saw raw ham on the menu so i ordered it. it was lunch meat ham... dissappointing. i still ate it though and shit it out an hour later  :D

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2010, 01:06:05 pm »
we made it to bangkok! and i made it with some jerky and suet...in tokyo i saw raw ham on the menu so i ordered it. it was lunch meat ham... dissappointing. i still ate it though and ... later  :D

Thanks for writing.  You'll have a great time.  So, if I go there in the future, I'll feel more confident carrying raw fat and meat.  Here I've seen that labeled "boiled ham".  Maybe it's better than "baked ham".  Perhaps the word "ham" means cooked pork, there.    
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2010, 08:23:45 am »
just got some really good tasting beef (i think it was skirt steak) at the morning market near khao san road in bangkok! it definitely tasted grass fed and might have even been better than what i get back in the US. there wasn't much fat on it but oh well. the ladies there gave me a weird look ( i guess tourists don't usually buy raw meat). they also had marrow in big femur bones but i didn't want to deal with that at the time. oh, also, trip update: we're leaving bangkok (it's sooo polluted) and going to phuket! time for some fish... and more durian

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2010, 08:58:36 am »
Nice, keep the updates comin if you can.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2010, 10:36:28 am »
I wanted to do a muay Thai camp in phucket one day. It's called Rawai. Let me know if you see anything about it.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2010, 10:38:59 pm »
my cousin who came with us is actually planning on taking some lessons here (he's really into muy thai). we found a gym right next to our guesthouse. i'll tell you how he likes it. found an awesome market today in phuket. got some raw eggs and some beef and beef fat. but the beef fat is really chew and hard to eat  (i don't have a knife with me). so, had some durian and coconut and mangosteen for breakfast/lunch. then some beef and fat for dinner. might try some squid or some kind of sea food tomorrow.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 09:35:46 pm »
just slammed 6 of those huge oysters that gs is always talking about. freshest oysters i've ever had. really good with a little chili pepper and garlic (thai style). when i ordered them, the waitress said they make me strong. oh yeah, im in ko samui now

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2010, 09:08:18 pm »
slight setback...

i was feeling pretty protein deficient yesterday so i ended up eating about two pounds of really yummy beef plus a little fat they threw in. it was great but when i woke up this morning, i had some pretty nasty diarrhea. pretty much just relaxed all day and ate some young coconuts (good rehydrator) and drank lots of water. also ate some bananas which seemed to go down well. no protein but i'll probably try again tomorrow morning with the beef. i might have just got a piece that wasnt very clean or fresh. come to think of it all the other beef i've eaten here (which caused no problems) was trimmed up so that the chunk i got hadn't been exposed to the flies yet. anyways, despite the setback, im feeling fine right now. just hungry. also didnt'' get a great night sleep last night (only had a fan room - no ac). but man, ko samui is an amazing place. i would recommend staying in the town of lamai. it's really laid back and is near a big rock outcropping overlooking the ocean. pretty much paradise. and the bungalow we're renting is about $30 US for 3 people, and right on the beach. can't complain. tomorrow we're taking a ferry and then a bus back to bangkok. then on to either ko chang or chiang mai. will keep you posted. note: first day without durian - it was making me have pretty rank farts  :P

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2010, 02:52:31 pm »
raw kyle: my cousin trained for two hours at a muy thai gym in lamai on ko samui. he really liked it and i think got a lot out of it. apparently it's a lot more about technique than the gyms in the US. i forgot the exact name of the gym but i can ask him if you're interested.

Offline Hans89

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2010, 03:20:48 am »
Did you notice anything from the troubles? Or is that limited to Bangkok?

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2010, 11:55:21 am »
Did you notice anything from the troubles? Or is that limited to Bangkok?

are you talking about the diarrhea? if so, i had that in ko samui. im fine now though. it only lasted a day.

i find myself eating LOTS of raw eggs here. they're cheap and easy to eat on the go. and they're really good quality. most that i've had have been fertilized and delicious. it's somewhat hard to get meat here. if i don't get up early to go the morning market, im kinda out of luck for meat that day. maybe i just don't know where to get it. anyways, we move on to chiang mai (northern thailand) today. taking an overnight bus. should be neat. there are hill tribes there. also really excited about doing the Gibbon zip line through the jungle.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2010, 10:12:35 pm »
i think im hitting my stride food-wise here. i figured out i can make jerky really easily with fresh beef from the morning market, a fan, and a clothes hanger. also been eating lots of eggs. AND - you will all be jealous - i found grubcomb at the market the other day. it was delicious! no honey at all, just fat bee larvae. really good. tasted a little mealy (maybe consistency of cooked egg yolk) and cheesy. but they were huge! way bigger than bees we have in the US. probably an inch and then some long for the larvae. but ya, you just picked them out of the comb (not the waxy part, just the papery part). they were kind of expensive at 200 baht for maybe 3/4 of a cup full of grubs once i took them all out. so like 6 dollars US. not bad really, but more expensive than beef or eggs, thats for sure. next time i find them at the market, i'll get a pic. oh, also, i found some huge avocados at the market for the first time.haven't tried them yet because they arent' ripe but they're the largest ones i've every seen.

went on a two day jungle trek the last two days. lots of fun. hiking, rafting, and elephant riding. tomorrow morning we head on to laos!

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2010, 11:40:24 am »
quick update: im in sapa, vietnam now. we just traveled from chiang mai thailand to laos (which was amazing) then to hanoi. sapa is an amazing place. lots of hill tribe people everywhere and probably one of the most beautiful landscapes i've ever been to. the pland for the next few weeks is to go south to hoi an, then dalat, then saigon. then get to angkor wat in cambodia. still doing well diet wise. i've been keeping it mostly raw but circumstances have forced me to compromise with cooked meet and veg a few times which worked out ok. better than i thought it would. i still felt shitty but not nearly as shitty as the last time i tried cooked. not sure why. found some amazing wild mountian honeycomb here in sapa.... good stuff. i've also been able to find cow marrow bones for very cheap here. so that was welcomed.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2010, 07:10:36 pm »
bought a whole cow brain for about 75 cents US and a whole small mackerel for about 50 cents US this morning. good stuff. oh, im in hoi an vietnam. it's a really cool town. really nice beaches and lots of culture (it was an old port from colonial days).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk