Author Topic: SARDINES. Check it baby!  (Read 14521 times)

Offline protoject

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
SARDINES. Check it baby!
« on: October 24, 2009, 07:28:22 am »
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=174

Suuuuper high in amino acids, b12, and I'm especially fond of them for their high omega3 content.

Question: anyone know where to get these raw? I get them in a tin with spring water , but I'm not sure if they're actually raw..

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
Re: SARDINES. Check it baby!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 07:39:09 am »
Sardines are not 1 fish, there are a couple of fishes in which classify as sardines. By me, fresh raw go for $10/lb. Which is pretty expensive IMO. The tin can ones you buy are most likely boiled. I've also read that they taste better if you let them mature past their expiration dates. But I have yet to try that. Might want to check your local Whole Foods Market or a local Fish monger.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 12:53:48 pm »
I found and ate fresh raw sardines in the fishing town of Catbalogan
http://www.myhealthblog.org/2009/05/22/fresh-sea-food-at-the-fishing-town-of-catbalogan/

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 04:22:27 pm »
Do NOT buy canned sardines, they are always precooked. I get sardines from a local fishmongers', though I uusally prefer raw mackerel.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline protoject

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 10:12:47 pm »
OHHH I wish I could have some of those... and I love mackarel too but have only eaten it raw in japanese restaurants as sahimi.. and it's salted obviously or it'd rot, not too cheezed about that cause it tastes damn good but I woudl prefer it just straight up. How about herring?

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:29:08 pm »
Yes, as far as I know, all tinned fish and shellfish is cooked.

However, we eat (carefully selected) tinned fish regularly because I feel they are nutritious and because there is a great deal of calcium in the cooked fish due to consuming the bones. We also eat tinned oysters.

It would be nice to get these items raw, but it's not possible for us so we compromise.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 11:01:13 pm »
I don't care too much about B12 or amino acids, my body just likes raw foods.  I can get sardines sometimes at the fish counter at WFM.

Sardines are not 1 fish, there are a couple of fishes in which classify as sardines. By me, fresh raw go for $10/lb. Which is pretty expensive IMO. The tin can ones you buy are most likely boiled. I've also read that they taste better if you let them mature past their expiration dates. But I have yet to try that. Might want to check your local Whole Foods Market or a local Fish monger.

So if I leave the sardines from WFM in the paper wrapper for a week or two, they'll actually get better?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline DeadRamones

• Bear Hunter
  • My boy eating!
    • View Profile
    • Acumen Athletics
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 02:35:04 am »
I was reffering to can sardines. But there is a post somwhere in this forum about fermenting fish.

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 05:56:25 pm »
Are sardines and mackarel always wild?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 06:37:57 pm »
Are sardines and mackarel always wild?

I'm pretty certain thereof.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 12:53:06 pm »
you all guys should visit my country, which is known by river's country. there's one fish i don't know the english name (only found in bangladesh) and researchers found that , it is ten times more healthy and richer than the fish we get in usa. and this fish (Hilsha) IS MY COUNTRY'S NATIONAL FISH. and also if you count the fruit that is jack fruit. which is so healthy that when my grandma gave the skin of jack fruit  to feed the native grass fed cow, she used produce tripple gallons of milk the same day. this fruit is poor people's food, where they hardly become seek by consuming this.
bugs or country chickens

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 09:14:04 pm »
We have jackfruit in my country, I may have to eat more of it if you think it is nutritious.

Can you post a picture of your national fish?

Maybe it is exported so we can taste it.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 04:13:53 pm »
We have jackfruit in my country, I may have to eat more of it if you think it is nutritious.

Can you post a picture of your national fish?

Maybe it is exported so we can taste it.
you can check out this fish on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilsa  . jack fruit and it's seed and also skin can be eaten.
bugs or country chickens

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 07:41:35 pm »
In the big wet market beside my office they always have sardines.
The local name is TAMBAN.
I don't think it is fresh enough to eat raw though.
But for the people at home, it is good enough to cook. 
Cheap too for the excellent nutrition.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 11:02:25 pm »
In the big wet market beside my office they always have sardines.
The local name is TAMBAN.
I don't think it is fresh enough to eat raw though.
But for the people at home, it is good enough to cook. 
Cheap too for the excellent nutrition.
well, i live in nj,usa. here i can't imagine to find a fresh fish. but i buy wild caught salmon with a bloody expensive price and blend that raw salmon to eat (that's a yucky...!!) . compare where i live, you're living in a paradise!!
bugs or country chickens

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 08:59:52 am »
well, i live in nj,usa. here i can't imagine to find a fresh fish. but i buy wild caught salmon with a bloody expensive price and blend that raw salmon to eat (that's a yucky...!!) . compare where i live, you're living in a paradise!!

Actually, in Chinatown, in New York City, you can find all kinds of LIVE seafood, everything from live shrimp to live fish of all kinds.  If I lived closer, I might visit there and eat regularly. It's a 12 hour drive for me to there.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 01:54:53 pm »
Actually, in Chinatown, in New York City, you can find all kinds of LIVE seafood, everything from live shrimp to live fish of all kinds.  If I lived closer, I might visit there and eat regularly. It's a 12 hour drive for me to there.
thanks cherimoya. i almost foget about chinatown. they do carry fresh shrimp. is fresh shrimp healthy to eat? i'm trying this raw diet and i know that delicious cooked shrimp taste. i'm just wondering in raw state if it's good to eat.
bugs or country chickens

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 01:57:53 pm »
    I eat raw wild-caught not previously frozen shrimp I buy at WFM.  I never tried Chinatown shrimp.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 11:16:34 am »
thanks cherimoya. i almost foget about chinatown. they do carry fresh shrimp. is fresh shrimp healthy to eat? i'm trying this raw diet and i know that delicious cooked shrimp taste. i'm just wondering in raw state if it's good to eat.

Fresh shrimp is excellent.  I love eating live lobster, shrimp, crab, etc.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 11:28:21 pm »
cherimoya_kid, my mom used to tell me that fresh raw shrimp has a sweet taste in it. she is talking about 50 yrs ago, all her cousins swimming and fishing in a river where they often catch all those yummy fish and shrimps, they eat right away. the quality of those shrimps in china town i just don't know (farm raised). still, i'll try some. thanks.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 05:21:39 am »
I ate wild orange roughy these past 2 days. Very good. I would definitely recommend this to someone who wants to expand their raw meat variety. Cut it in cubs and eat. Very tender. I ate it with bison fat because it was a lean fillet.

http://www.seafoodindustry.co.nz/f1106,48116/48116_Orange_roughy-fil1_-_resize_large.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_roughy

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 06:45:05 am »
I ate wild orange roughy these past 2 days. Very good. I would definitely recommend this to someone who wants to expand their raw meat variety. Cut it in cubs and eat. Very tender. I ate it with bison fat because it was a lean fillet.

http://www.seafoodindustry.co.nz/f1106,48116/48116_Orange_roughy-fil1_-_resize_large.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_roughy
  l)where do you get that bison fat? thanks.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 07:10:26 am »
 l)where do you get that bison fat? thanks.
I ordered it from the phone at http://northstarbison.com/  its grass fed and from my home state Wisconsin. They usually use up all their fat by putting it in sausages, but they got some from another grass fed bison farm and offered that and I accepted. It seems to be a good mixture of suet and other fats that aren't as dry as suet. I have it in the freezer and use it whenever I by meat that's too lean.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:25:54 am by Sully »

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 09:49:38 am »
Sully,  I love North star, Mary, is great.  I use to buy my fat from them too, until they ran out for the reason you mentioned.  I sampled the 'other' bison fat.  It was pretty rank, as in oxidized.  Maybe you got a different lot, but look for the soap smell (unpleasant) and slight burn in the back of the throat.  And please don't mention my name if you do talk about it with her.  I wouldn't want her to think I am slighting any of their products.  Thanks

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 10:24:08 am »
cherimoya_kid, my mom used to tell me that fresh raw shrimp has a sweet taste in it. she is talking about 50 yrs ago, all her cousins swimming and fishing in a river where they often catch all those yummy fish and shrimps, they eat right away. the quality of those shrimps in china town i just don't know (farm raised). still, i'll try some. thanks.

Let me know how it tastes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk