Author Topic: new to forum and question  (Read 5826 times)

Offline mentisafer

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
new to forum and question
« on: November 27, 2009, 08:28:06 pm »
Hi All!
I don't know how to input my gender at login but I'm male.
Ok, I've been flirting with the diet for about 5 years, on and off, didn't stay longer because bad habits are difficult to erradicate, like drinkin, smoking and eating habits. I'm starting again, but don't really know what's the best for me to follow. I weight about 120 pounds, 30 years old. I always got hungry if I only eat raw meat and no starches, but being reading about eating more fat and organs. Tried some marrow, heart and liver from northbison.com and it was good, but had to eat the marrow with some bread.
What would be the right amount of fat and meat? I would even try the high meat.
Another question: I read is better to stay clear off supplements, but just bought two of them: liquidmd (an algae product) and colloidal silver; I did it because a friend of mine just died of HIV and have been thinking about it since I myself had unprotected sex  a couple of instances the last month (not with my friend who I never had sex with) and I'm worried and somebody suggested this products to enhance the inmune system in case. I hope I didn't get std's but also think it wouldn't hurt to try this products.
My concern is, especially with the colloidal silver, would it be ok, or would it kill also beneficial bacteria?
I'm sorry if I broke any forum rule, but please reply this, it would clear many doubts.
Thanks a lot
"Man shall not live by bread allone" Matthew 3:16-4:4

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: new to forum and question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:37:19 am »

I never used colloidal silver but I heard some people use it as an antibiotic. So, it's probably not good for bacteria.

There is also a 'conspiracy theory' circulating around about this virus but I have not looked into it too much.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:47:33 am »
Hello and welcome. :)

Fat is most definitely the key if you are eating limited/no carbs.
It's hard to give an exact quantity of fat to meat you need to eat because our bodies all work differently. 80% calories by fat seems to work the best for those of us eating raw ZC. You could start here and then eat more or less fat depending on what your body is telling you. You'll crave the fat if you need more. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline mentisafer

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 04:37:16 am »
thank you guys; regarding the colloidal silver the question is if it would be counterproductive. I have the feeling that it would in some way destroy all the benefits of raw meat, although I don't know maybe it's not that way.
And regarding the calorie ratio to fat and protein, please help me here, I don't have any idea of nutrition much less of math, I was raised in a country where you never measure anything, not even to build houses!  -\lol. Just an example of what a serving would be would save me a lot of trouble and time trying to figure this out.
Again, I appreciate the help

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 04:58:45 am »
Look, if you have cravings for carbs like starches, then eat raw fruit and raw vegetables, instead. As for colloidal silver and algae, ditch them outright, they are a waste of time. You NEED bacteria for health and algae are very poorly absorbed by humans.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 06:55:21 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 05:17:08 am »
thank you guys; regarding the colloidal silver the question is if it would be counterproductive. I have the feeling that it would in some way destroy all the benefits of raw meat, although I don't know maybe it's not that way.
And regarding the calorie ratio to fat and protein, please help me here, I don't have any idea of nutrition much less of math, I was raised in a country where you never measure anything, not even to build houses!  -\lol. Just an example of what a serving would be would save me a lot of trouble and time trying to figure this out.
Again, I appreciate the help

I eat 1/4-1/3 of a meal, by volume (I cut the meat and fat into cubes), as fat. If I'm eating suet it's the lower end as it seems to satisfy better, if it's regular fat it's a bit higher ratio. I don't measure anything so I can't give you an exact number of grams to grams.

I wouldn't bother with the supplements.
A) They're added cost you don't really need to spend.
B) HIV is sexually transmitted (among other ways) so you'll either get it or you won't. Supplements aren't going to keep you from getting anything. What good they might offer to your immune system isn't anywhere as effective as a good diet and regular exercise. If you feel the need to spend money on supplements spend it on the best food you can get for your body instead; it'll pay higher dividends in the end.
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline mentisafer

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 06:07:44 am »
Dan, did you mean that you eat 1/4 to 1/3 of fat per meat, or the other way?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 07:00:24 am »
1/4-1/3 of my meal is fat.
Maybe 1/4 pound by weight...but then again I'm ~180 pounds and fairly active so my caloric requirements are probably higher than your needs. That ratio works well for me though so you could try scaling it to the quantity you need to eat.

Do you have problems breaking down or processing carbohydrates? If not you may want to consider keeping some in your diet and seeing how you feel. While I definitely do well ZC it's because I have issues with all carbs. If I didn't have this issue I'd strongly consider a small amount of carbohydrates in my diet (some berries would be great) while avoiding refined carbohydrates.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline mentisafer

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 07:13:11 am »
so if i weight 120 (which I've been since I was 15 lol) that means I would eat 1/4 of that in fat? I didn't get it sorry.
Regarding carbs, I was hipoglicemic when I was 10 years old, but my dad made me have a strict diet of zero sugars low carbs for 4 years and it was gone. Now because I didn't eat the sweets I don't like them, but it's difficult to not eat a little rice or bread. Whenever I tried this diet I abandoned it because the hunger for starches was irresistible, I would feel that I was always on an empty stomach. But maybe because i didn't eat fats, that might be it.
Right now I get raw eggs, raw beef and organs, olive and flax seed oils. Maybe I'll add a fruit and a tomato here and there. Does it sound right? How about raw honey? I'll try that as well

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 07:48:11 am »
Sorry to hear of your many challenges. I hope you soon have excellent health and peace of mind.

I don't know about the benefit of the supplements. In the past, when i've bought such things, I just dilute the dose and take them until they're gone - then I don't buy them again.

The only "supplements" many of us take are more accurately called "foodlements"  ;) meaning that they are potencies of foods that we don't have access to - such as cod liver oil, since cod livers aren't readily available for regular consumption.

As TD says, raw fruits and vegetables are better for the carb cravings than grain foods or sugars. I just went through this same weaning process. I also drank water with a dash of sea salt and that seemed to help, or even a cup of green tea. Eat some fruits and vegetables in addition to an appropriate amount of fat and protein for meals if you feel you are having low blood sugar. You can gradually cut back on the tea, salted water, snacks, and fruits until you reach what is comfortable for you for now. We aren't machines and should be aware and flexible, so don't look for a perfect permanent diet - now or ever.

I didn't find olive oil, flax oil, or any vegetable oil to be satisfying. Avocados and whole raw nuts and seeds are good, but animal fats are best, such as body fat, suet, and marrow. (I also use cheese and butterfat, though many do not). I do use some sea salt on my food which I believe provides important electrolytes for the assimilation of food (=satisfaction). I think seawater is the amniotic fluid of life and that those who do not bathe in the sea or take fresh food from it need sea salt. Some others here do not share this view, BTW, so it's just an opinion.

I hope you don't have or get HIV. I don't know how diet would affect your chances of infection.

Best wishes!

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 08:11:44 am »
so if i weight 120 (which I've been since I was 15 lol) that means I would eat 1/4 of that in fat? I didn't get it sorry.

I meant that my typical meal (of which I generally eat twice a day) is roughly 1/4 pound of fat and 3/4 pound muscle meat. I find this quantity sufficient to sustain me (my basal metabolism for a 180 pound body with moderate levels of activity). As you weigh less than I do you will most likely need a smaller quantity of food. If you keep it roughly a 3:1 ratio of lean:fat you should do well to start. Vary as needed by how you feel. If you crave carbs add a bit more fat, it'll sate you.

Regarding carbs, I was hipoglicemic when I was 10 years old, but my dad made me have a strict diet of zero sugars low carbs for 4 years and it was gone. Now because I didn't eat the sweets I don't like them, but it's difficult to not eat a little rice or bread. Whenever I tried this diet I abandoned it because the hunger for starches was irresistible, I would feel that I was always on an empty stomach. But maybe because i didn't eat fats, that might be it.
Right now I get raw eggs, raw beef and organs, olive and flax seed oils. Maybe I'll add a fruit and a tomato here and there. Does it sound right? How about raw honey? I'll try that as well

That makes sense. :)
You might do well to give ZC a shot (with more fat this time) and after adjusting to it try some small carbs. It'll be harder to stick with ZC if you do indulge the carbs in the beginning.
If you do try it with some carbs avoid refined carbs, inflammatory vegetables (especially nightshades), and concentrated sweets. Some here on the forum will advocate the honey and others will say avoid it. I'm of the latter, it'll foster cravings and make the dietary changes harder IMO.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline mentisafer

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 09:00:09 am »
thank you Dan, now I understand, so you eat 2 pounds of animal a day, I would say I'll eat 1 or 1 and a half pounds; is that all you eat? I can't believe you are 180 lbs with that diet, I'm trying to increase my weight and I cant, maybe you are taller.
I just came from the supermarket and bought a pound of chuck eye beef, wich looks marbled like a rib eye, only cheaper. It doesn't say anywhere that it is organic, but I wont get my bison until next week; in that case is chuck eye relatively safe to eat? (regarding antibiotics and hormones). I remember Aajanous wrote some parts of the cow are less contaminated.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 09:56:11 am »
Yeah, give or take. Some days I'll eat more but it rarely goes beyond 3 pounds of food in a day. I find that I require less food when it's fresh but once it's been frozen I need more to get the same energy out of my meals. When I first began eating RAF I ate a lot more lean meat (muscle) but once I upped my fats up to adequate levels the quantity of lean went down dramatically.

I'm 6'-3" and vary from ~177-185 depending on how I'm eating. I seem to add weight quickly when I eat more lean but if I get the right amount of fat I hover around 180.

I only eat chuck. I get a local primal (the whole cut which hasn't been butchered into smaller cuts) grass-fed chuck cut every other week. I get ~40 pounds at a shot which I then butcher into maybe 35 pounds of meat & fat as well some bone. The chuck is the fattiest part of the steer, and generally the cheapest, so it's what I stick to. :)
I wouldn't be concerned about eating the roast you bought. It's just a couple days and it's a whole cut of meat so much less likely to be contaminated with anything truly bad (E.Coli 157, etc). Just be aware that grainfed chuck is extra-fatty so you probably need only a small amount of extra fat (grassfed is much leaner than grainfed so my grassfed chuck has as much fat as, maybe, a grainfed rump roast).
Contaminants generally concentrate in fatty tissue so I'd imagine the chuck would be a poor choice if subsisting on grainfed meat. Again, the limited time should be ok. I ate grainfed meat for a month when I started and noted no long-term effects.
-Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk