Author Topic: David Wolfe and ants  (Read 11387 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
David Wolfe and ants
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:34:21 pm »
Apparently, David Wolfe is recommending raw vegans eat ants for the B12?:-

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/forum/topics/david-wolfe-says-we-should-all
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: David Wolfe and ants
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 06:56:58 pm »
I saw that a while ago and he also recommended krill oil in some other video.

That means raw vegans are not actually vegans after all  l) because they kill poor little innocent ants.

alphagruis

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:34:51 pm »
Well, I'm quite reluctant to discourage the vegans...

As long as they eat just insects to replace their B12 pills, they won't compete with us for all the other animals, in particular mammals.  :)

I neither dismiss the idea. Our ancestors probably ate insects and it's most likely possible to survive with insects in case of more usual food shortage. 

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:56:06 am »
Amazing to hear the guru of many vegans speaking about eating ants and moths!   ???  At least he admits that a vegan diet is not nutritionally sufficient.  I'll stick with the beef and lamb thanks David.
1. When offered something that is too good to be true. It is.
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.
3. Exponential growth is mathematically unsustainable.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 03:36:23 am »
ALSO IT'S IN THE HISTORY THAT MUSLIM PROPHET MUHAMMED, IN HIS TIME EATING MOSTLY RAW INSECTS AND GAINED THE PERFECT HEALTH. SOME TRIBES IN AMAZON, THEIR MORNING BREAKFAST IS INSECTS. SO, THESE INSECTS COULD BE SUPERIOR THAN ANYTHING ELSE WHO KNOWS. SORRY FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS (i'm a horrible typist)
bugs or country chickens

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 05:24:08 am »
You could be right, raw.  From my understanding insects are extremely nutritious.  My local organic butcher does actually provide a wide range of insects on order if requested - including crickets which are apparently very rich in Calcium.

There is absolutely no way I could personally eat insects unfortunately!
2. Greed and fear are poor states of mind in which to make decisions; like shopping at the supermarket when you are hungry.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 07:25:13 am »
i would love to have a supply of things like ant and misquito eggs, bee larva and things like that i am sure they are super nutritious you just have to have ample quantities

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 07:26:26 pm »
You could be right, raw.  From my understanding insects are extremely nutritious.  My local organic butcher does actually provide a wide range of insects on order if requested - including crickets which are apparently very rich in Calcium.

Yes, but are those insects raw? All the bug-eating sites offer only cooked insects in chocolate and the like. I did once order live maggots from some pet-food company but they tasted vile.There were wood-shavings in the boxes they were in, presumably the vile taste was the result of the maggots eating that stuff?

For my own part, if I could get hold of some decent grubs(especially the witchetty grub which the Aborigines often eat live and wriggling, I'd be most happy).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 12:15:38 am »
Yes, but are those insects raw? All the bug-eating sites offer only cooked insects in chocolate and the like. I did once order live maggots from some pet-food company but they tasted vile.There were wood-shavings in the boxes they were in, presumably the vile taste was the result of the maggots eating that stuff?

Live crickets are sold in my town along with a calcium spray in pet shops for lizards and frogs and other live eaters.  I presume the reason the calcium spray is sold with them is because their crickets are low in calcium.  I have not bought the crickets for food, but bought the same ones as pets when I was Vegan, thinking about freeing them.

For my own part, if I could get hold of some decent grubs(especially the witchetty grub which the Aborigines often eat live and wriggling, I'd be most happy).

There were some great looking grubs in the forest.  Times were lean too.  Too bad I didn't think of eating them.  Maybe I should go just to eat them.  I don't know when I'll get to hunt, but that might be a good start.  There aren't any poisonous grubs, are there?  Might I know that by flavor?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 12:44:53 am »
    Live crickets are sold in my town along with a calcium spray in pet shops for lizards and frogs and other live eaters.  I presume the reason the calcium spray is sold with them is because their crickets are low in calcium.  I have not bought the crickets for food, but bought the same ones as pets when I was Vegan, thinking about freeing them.

I just bought a dozen of them for our pet turtle. She thrives on a diet of crickets, raw grassfed beef, slugs, mealworms, and the occasional bit of greenery. :)

I wouldn't advocate eating the crickets bought at a pet store though. The conditions they're kept in are pretty harsh and I doubt they get the best foods.
If someone wanted to go that route I'd suggest buying a bunch and breeding them on a quality diet. After 2 or 3 generations you could start "bio-loading" them as you would food you'd feed to a pet and they'd be quite nutritious.
My wife and I do this same process with snails (Ramshorn and Pond) as feeders for our puffer fish. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

alphagruis

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 03:59:14 am »
i would love to have a supply of things like ant and misquito eggs, bee larva and things like that i am sure they are super nutritious you just have to have ample quantities

When raw, they are indeed super nutricious, comparable to liver, brain or bone marrow from higher animals or mammals or seafood like oysters.

So we do not need or have to eat large quantities of them, actually.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Special-Diets-768/raw-bugs.htm

Offline Michael

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 06:49:29 am »
So we do not need or have to eat large quantities of them, actually.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Special-Diets-768/raw-bugs.htm

Of course, the "expert" in your link - RawPaleoGuy - is, I believe, none other than our very own Tyler Durden aka Geoff Purcell!  (Sorry Tyler.  I hope I haven't blown your cover!)  ;D

It certainly seems to make sense to include these "superfoods" as part of a healthy RPD and, for many here at least, it doesn't appear to be at all repulsive!  I still don't think I could do it and, fortunately, see no need as long as the standard RPD fare is nutritionally sufficient and available.

I may be wrong Tyler but I seem to recall that they were raw.  The main reason I wasn't interested (despite the obvious) was because they were frozen.  If you're interested in chasing them up - it was Harvey's organic butchers on Grove Road in Norwich.  See their website here: http://www.puremeat.org.uk/.  It may be worth a phone call to find out.  They may have some fresh grubs waiting especially for you!   ;)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 10:21:01 am »
hey thanks for the information!  it was just my assumption(and definitely a very american one i think!) that they would need to be consumed in large quantities.  i am preoccupied with thinking of ways to supply my own protein sources besides fishing and hunting(because i am horrible at fishing and have yet to learn to hunt) and have often contemplated farming bugs!!!! good to know it is actually a viable alternative from a nutritional standpoint

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 11:01:38 am »
hey thanks for the information!  it was just my assumption(and definitely a very american one i think!) that they would need to be consumed in large quantities.  i am preoccupied with thinking of ways to supply my own protein sources besides fishing and hunting(because i am horrible at fishing and have yet to learn to hunt) and have often contemplated farming bugs!!!! good to know it is actually a viable alternative from a nutritional standpoint

i actually 'farmed' mealworms for a while. i ate them raw and they were ok. not THAT tasty. it only lasted about a month though cuz ants got to them and killed them all.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 12:58:56 pm »
I used to eat maggots that grew in my fermented raw goat milk.  They were fairly tasty.  :P

I've thought about eating/farming insects before.  I'd want to know the nutritional breakdown of a particular type of insect, before I'd farm it.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 01:11:27 pm »
I used to eat maggots that grew in my fermented raw goat milk.  They were fairly tasty.  :P

I've thought about eating/farming insects before.  I'd want to know the nutritional breakdown of a particular type of insect, before I'd farm it.

I ate and used little maggots from old raw milk and its top cream to clean my skin.  I posted it on a thread where the topic was raw alternatives to soap.  They were crunchy feeling between my teeth and made my skin soft just like a healthy baby's where I rubbed the maggots on.  Of course the vegan half of the member audience felt sorry for the maggots and thought if the maggots died I should have buried them outside in the yard instead of using them.  I would definitely use them on my skin again, but they didn't have flavor so I probably would never eat any more unless I was hungry.

Have you ever used meat maggots?  I had big maggots from raw meat in a jar, but let them go as I wasn't sure if they were edible.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

alphagruis

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 10:43:06 pm »

It certainly seems to make sense to include these "superfoods" as part of a healthy RPD and, for many here at least, it doesn't appear to be at all repulsive!  I still don't think I could do it and, fortunately, see no need as long as the standard RPD fare is nutritionally sufficient and available.

Yes sure Michael. But obviously the repulsion is just cultural, as is the repulsion people on standard cooked diets exhibit usually when invited for the first time to eat raw meat and fat. A similar repulsion is often observed when trying to eat the inner parts of edible crabs. I like some these parts of the crab even more than the muscle, absolutely delicious, once one overcomes the initial cultural repulsion.

From a purely rational point of view, if culture were not of major relevance, one cannot see why it should be less repulsive to eat raw oysters which just so happens to be an accepted traditional practice in many countries.

As to insects I've never tried maggots. Yet I find grasshoppers very tasty, comparable to the best liver pastes ( "patés de foie") prepared traditionally here in France.

IMO it's quite interesting to attempt to "re-wire" our brains to get rid of these inappropriate cultural biases.  

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 11:34:12 pm »
i really wonder what's "meat maggots" -\!!
bugs or country chickens

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 11:55:22 pm »
i really wonder what's "meat maggots" -\!!

They are these whitish looking wormy little creatures who squiggle around.  I'm not sure what they might grow into.  I saw them on buffalo tongue meat that was cut into one inch chunks and let to ferment.

When I was vegetarian I always said that eating meat from cows is no different than eating worms, but I was thinking earth worms.  I would eat those, but haven't yet.  If I ever have no food, I will eat them, if I am lucky enough to be around them.  I would have to get over bias and learn more about meat maggots before possibly attempting a first taste.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 05:35:59 am »
There are tons of grasshoppers where I live during a certain season. Besides that, its very easy to get insect during the warm months. Whether they are edible or not I don't know. Although many of the months in Wisconsin don't provide a plentiful amount of insects. November, December, January, march, April, maybe even may.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 06:58:00 am »
    They are these whitish looking wormy little creatures who squiggle around.  I'm not sure what they might grow into
Flies. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 07:03:21 am »
    I guess those were regular flies, and the ones in milk fruit flies.  There was a pronounced difference in size.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk