Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Raw Forever

• Forager
    • View Profile
Newbie here
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:00:49 pm »
Hi Everyone,
    Many thanks for creating and interacting in this wonderful website.

I'm new here, and to the raw paleo lifestyle.  I've been mostly raw(about 75-80%) for over 3 years following the raw vegan diet. I wasn't a vegan for those years because when I would eat cooked foods, I sometimes ate meat or fish. However, when I ate raw I ate vegan.

I've decided to switch to a raw paleo diet because I don't think I'm doing as well as I can. I feel instinctively that I need some animal foods in my diet.

Right now I'm doing a 100% raw vegan diet. I plan on doing very high-100% raw until I die so I was very happy to see the word "Raw" in this website's name.

I need some advice on what to eat on a raw paleo diet. The following is what I plan on eating. Can someone say whether it's within Raw Paleo guidelines. Thanks in advance.

--Raw fresh fruits, almost any kind that I can get my hands on(mostly mono meals).
--Raw beef, chicken, pork, fish, eggs, wild game if I can get any,(definitely mono meals or eaten with   
   leafy greens). I may drop one or more depending on taste but I'll definitely keep beef, chicken and eggs.
-- Some veggies like baby spinach, broccoli, cabbage, bell peppers, carrots, lettuce, celery, tomatoes, a
   few others
--Nuts and Seeds (mono meals)
-- maybe very small amounts of salt and spices to season meats. I'll try them without seasonings first to
    see how I do with taste.

So what do you think guys? Can I make the Raw Paleo cut eating from the above foods?  Also, I need some advice on getting meats in the New York area. I live on Long Island. Thanks very much for your opinion and advice!

I am male, 46yrs. See you in the forums!

Raw Forever

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 02:23:22 am »
--Raw fresh fruits, almost any kind that I can get my hands on(mostly mono meals).
--Raw beef, chicken, pork, fish, eggs, wild game if I can get any,(definitely mono meals or eaten with   
   leafy greens). I may drop one or more depending on taste but I'll definitely keep beef, chicken and eggs.
-- Some veggies like baby spinach, broccoli, cabbage, bell peppers, carrots, lettuce, celery, tomatoes, a
   few others
--Nuts and Seeds (mono meals)

Hi welcome and best of health to you!

Why the monomeals?  Have you looked through the Instincto section of the site here?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Raw Forever

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 02:47:44 am »
Hi Rawzi,
              Thanks for replying! I feel really good eating mono. Been doing it for most of the 3 years I've been raw. When I eat foods in various combinations I get digestive problems. So, I'm going to stick to mostly mono and very near-100% raw. When I deviate from these two things I pay consequences. As long as I stay raw and mono I don't have a health problem in the world.

I glanced through the Instincto section but I have yet to read in depth.

Can you tell me if those foods that I listed in my opening post are within RP guidelines?  Also, can you tell me a good place to get meat in the NY metro area?  Thanks!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:10:55 am »
    I'm more primal than paleo myself. 

There are farmers markets with good meats in NY.  There must be a farmers market guide.  You can check with WAP.  The WFM in Union Square has a nice variety of meats.  I've gotten excellent meats in halal markets in NY.  I've also found some decent enough meat by introducing myself to the kosher butchers at the bigger kosher markets.  The small ones only have salted meat and cooked liver.   
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:14:13 am »
Hello and welcome.
It's nice to see another NY member; I'm a bit further upstate in Putnam County (just north of Westchester). :)

I'll take a crack at the food list but others need to chime in as well. I'm eating purely meat/fat as a result of food allergies so default to the "Paleo" label but I don't have the background others have in a paleo way of eating.

Some fruits are ok, others are more neolithic in cultivation. Generally the wilder the fruit the better.
The list of meats & eggs sounds fine. Most of us find we do best we animals eating their natural diets (i.e. grassfed beef as opposed to grainfed) and they offer greater health benefits.
Most of the veggies seem like non-paleo choices. Others definitely have to comment on them as I can't give more directive than that.
Nuts and seeds are probably ok. Some, like peanuts, are a definite no.
Some so no salt, some say it's ok. I find that I do need a bit to function properly but I cycle from times that I crave it to times that I don't desire it.
Most spices will be ok. Many include occasional spices as supplemental items for medicinal effect. If you've got questions on specifics ask.

I buy grassfed meat from a small supermarket chain in Poughkeepsie but that's out of your way. I've tried farmers markets in the Hudson Valley and been thoroughly disappointed with the food. The markets in NYC might be better.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 06:47:17 am »
Most RPDers find salt to be unnecessary. Spices are fine if that's what you need but you should aim to wean yourself off them over time.

Re vegetables:- Avoid the tougher vegetables like broccoilie/kale when raw as they taste rather foul in that form. I , personally, go in for raw radishes/samphire/seaweed(from my raw mussels, trapped by the shell) and the occasional bunch of carrots(once a year) and maybe a raw salad(with raw organic apple cider vinegar up to 4 times a year). Otherwise, I far prefer (organic or wild) fruits.

Nuts and seeds can be a problem for RPDers due to the antinutrients. At the very least, re nuts,  soak them in water for 24 hours beforehand to lower antinutrient levels. Go in for sprouted seeds instead, like watercress etc.

It's less important what meats you get than the quality thereof. Strive as much as possible for organic/100% grassfed meats, avoid meats that are nearly always 100% grainfed(eg:- pork/chickens), however "organic" they may be. Also, go in for some raw organ-meats. Here are some standard examples which we commonly eat:- raw suet(an acquired taste, not for everyone), raw marrow/tongue/heart/liver/kidneys/sweetbreads.

For finding grassfed farms in your local area search eatwild.com's website under your local State and you'll find contact details for several. Here are also a couple of websites which all newbies should read when they start this forum so as to get a general idea of what's involved:-

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/sticky-advice-for-newbies-wishing-to-slowly-ease-into-a-raw-animal-food-diet/

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/important-info-for-newbies/where-to-buy-cheap-raw-animal-food(please-don't-post-in-this-thread!)/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 08:20:16 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Forever

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 07:34:03 am »
Dan, thanks very much for taking time to reply. Very helpful advice. You're in NY too, I see, awesome! 

Tyler, thanks for the reply. I read those two links you gave me. Lots of enlightening, helpful advice.

Yesterday, I knew next to nothing about this lifestyle other than hearing the words "paleo" and "primal" thrown about here and there. Today, I'm getting a clearer mental picture of how to go about living this way.
I feel, instinctively, that this is the way I should be eating. I feel like I've come home. Thanks again everyone! :)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 08:10:24 am »
Welcome.
I like mono meals myself.
I choose to eat the most hydrating fruits.
I don't fancy raw veggies.
But some people like raw veggies.
Do what works for you.
I live far away from you so we got different stuff here.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Raw Forever

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 05:58:11 am »
Hey GoodSamaritan, thanks for the welcome!
I eat mostly very hydrating fruits myself but there are times when I crave denser stuff like durian and avocado and such.
I'm not a big fan of raw veggies too, but ,as above, there are times when I have a hankering for certain kinds.
I try as much as possible to let my body/instincts/feelings be my guide when it comes to eating.
Take care.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk