Author Topic: Honey  (Read 6251 times)

William

Honey
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:47:08 pm »
I thought of TD when I read this, since it is supposed to reduce aggression...

From:http://english.pravda.ru/science/health/16-12-2009/111165-honey-0 (pravda mean it's true  ;)  )

Honey Reduces Aggression and Prolongs Life

16.12.2009     Source: Pravda.Ru    

Pages: 1

Honey is valued all over the world. There is a reason why the after-wedding bliss was called “honey moon,” and why we call those dear to us “honey.”   

Fructose and glucose, components of honey, are simple carbohydrates and therefore, are easy to digest. Honey is also rich in vitamins ? 2, ??, ?, ? 6, ? and ?, pantothenic and folic acids and biotin that improve condition of skin, hair, and nails. It also contains calcium, sodium, magnesium, ferrum, iodine, and other minerals. Many of the minerals contained in honey correspond with those in human blood, which allows 100% digestion.

Honey is a strong antimicrobial substance, and it has been used as a natural antiseptic to treat wounds, abscesses, skin and respiratory diseases since ancient times. Honey is also good for the cardio-vascular system since glucose is a necessary component for the cardiac muscle. Honey strengthens the nervous and immune systems and raises hemoglobin level.

Honey is especially beneficial for older people. This product does not irritate the mucous coat of the digestive tube and is easily digested, releasing energy and restoring the lost strength. Honey is an excellent natural antidepressant that helps to reduce aggression, irritability, and stress.

Telling high-quality honey from low-quality honey is not easy, but possible. Unripe honey can be of low quality. This happens when honey is taken out of honeycomb before it matures. It contains excessive moisture (over 20%) and turns sour. Unripe honey forms two layers when stored. The lower layer is candied, and the upper one has a syrup-like consistency.

Sometimes honey is diluted with various components – sugar syrup, beet molasses, starch syrup, etc. It is easy to identify starch in honey by adding iodine to it. If honey is diluted with starch, it will turn blue.

Experts do not recommend buying honey from sellers who offer excessively wide selection as they may be offering the types of honey that do not exist in nature.

Healing properties of various types of honey vary insignificantly. It is not easy to check the authenticity of honey. Yet, there are a few distinct features that might help to do it. Natural honey must be homogenous, without sediment. It should have a slightly harsh taste that tickles the throat. Liquid honey usually gets crystallized two weeks to two months after it was collected.

Honey crystallization does not affect its quality or healing properties. If you prefer liquid honey to candied one, it can be warmed up at the temperature of no more than 40°C by double boiling. Heating honey directly on the stove top will cause it to lose its healing properties.

Pythagor, a Greek mathematician, confessed that his longevity was attributed to regular consumption of honey. Arabic doctor and poet Avicenna also recommended honey for people over 45. Greek philosopher Demokrit who lived to be over 100 years old also recommended honey for everyone.

There are no flat contraindications for honey consumption. Even those with diabetes may have it in moderation and under a doctor’s supervision. However, honey is high in calories, and can compete with chocolate and nuts in nutritional value. Adults are recommended to consume no more than 60-100 grams of honey a day.

To be able to enjoy quality honey, stick to the following rules:

- buy honey from authorized sellers only;
- study labels and package;
- store honey at 5 to 10°C in a dry cool place, in a glass or wooden container. Keep it far from fragrant products because honey absorbs smells easily.

-------------------------

I never heard that glucose is a necessary component for the cardiac muscle - anyone know if this is true?

alphagruis

Re: Honey
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 05:38:06 pm »
I never heard that glucose is a necessary component for the cardiac muscle - anyone know if this is true?

Normal activity energy comes almost only from mitochondrial fatty acids oxidation in aerobic metabolism conditions. But the cardiac muscle has resort to glucose in case of a short very intense activity because it is the only means to obtain ATP energy units much more rapidly by anaerobic glycolysis. Basically if needed the cardiac muscle is capable to use fatty acids, cetonic bodies, glucose, pyruvate and lactate as fuel.

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:16:10 pm »

I have some doubts that honey can be kept below 40 degrees Celsius at all times, especially in hot summer days.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 10:01:35 pm »
I have some doubts that honey can be kept below 40 degrees Celsius at all times, especially in hot summer days.
What's the problem? Even in the hottest countries they've got quite a low tempeature in their traditional houses (due to the very thick walls); it isn't necessary to use air-contitioning.
Cellar is the other option.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:23:53 pm »

Yes, but the hive does not have very thick walls.

I mean the bees may not be able to keep it ventilated all the time with their wings in very hot days. Or maybe it's just my impression. Probably if it goes over 40 for a short period it's not a problem? It would be interesting to know if there is a delay for when it turns bad or it just happens in an instant on that temp.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:47:40 pm »
The bees keep the temperature up to 38 degrees C in the hive even when it's very hot.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:48:35 am »
Ask Mimi
Everything you ever wanted to know about Really Raw Honey!
Q: What are cappings? What do they taste like?

A: The crunchy bits of pollen, propolis, and capping wax that crown each jar of our honey are called "cappings". Cappings have the highest concentrations of pollen and propolis, which are known for their healthful properties. Due to popular request, Really Raw Honey Cappings are now available by the jar and can be chewed, just like chewing gum, for a sweetly delicious way to enjoy and ingest the goodness the bees put in.
above from reallyrawhoney.com

I have jars of cappings, but it's stuff my son scraped off the top of his jars.  I use it little by little for myself.  I can't credit myself in finding the above quote.  My husband decided to order honey for my son directly from the site, and told me about them selling cappings.  I just thought some of you may want it, since I've seen you talk about honey alone missing all the other stuff that comes with it in nature.  What a dear, he doesn't eat honey himself.   

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 07:18:17 am »
    I can't find a place on the Really Raw site to order it,
    but here's a place that sells RRH's cappings and the link to order it from with a pic:
    https://www.newenglandnutritives.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=120&products_id=598
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:26:34 am by RawZi »
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 08:15:19 am »
Wow. The ~1/8" thick layer of cappings at the top of a jar of really raw honey was always my favorite.
Wish they'd had these for sale a year ago when I'd have been able to eat them.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 12:56:10 pm »
Wow. The ~1/8" thick layer of cappings at the top of a jar of really raw honey was always my favorite.
Wish they'd had these for sale a year ago when I'd have been able to eat them.

I used to order their cappings, but I kept finding wooden pieces of the frame in them.  I got tired of worrying that I would bite down on a piece of wood.

Offline chucky

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 08:45:14 pm »
I used to order their cappings, but I kept finding wooden pieces of the frame in them.  I got tired of worrying that I would bite down on a piece of wood.

I think there is nothing to worry about biting down a piece of wood. Probably they are not even sharp. And besides that, paleoman/caveman would drop their meat onto the ground and some pieces of wood they ingested wouldn't cause any harm. If it's wrong please tell me.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 11:49:46 pm »
I think there is nothing to worry about biting down a piece of wood. Probably they are not even sharp. And besides that, paleoman/caveman would drop their meat onto the ground and some pieces of wood they ingested wouldn't cause any harm. If it's wrong please tell me.

The wood pieces were actually kind of sharp.  I don't think it would be possible to get a splinter, because the honey in the cappings sort of coats it and keeps it stuck all in one piece, but you could, if you were biting down hard, definitely cause at least a little damage to the inside of your mouth.  I never actually did, because the chunks are almost as big as my thumb, but I still worry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk