Author Topic: Replenishing Glycogen  (Read 7785 times)

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Replenishing Glycogen
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:13:54 pm »
Hello everyone!  I'm new here.  Just wanted to know your thoughts on glycogen replenishment without carbs.  It seems I have to eat a lot of meat to refill my muscle size after it's depleted.  Maybe on the order of 300grams+ of protein.  I couldn't really find any info on it on the internet.   It's definitely a slower process than eating a bowl of pasta, but at least my face doesn't break out. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

William

Re: Replenishing Glycogen
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:53:43 pm »
I've never seen a glycogen, and wouldn't know one if it bit me.

The only fasting I've ever done is according to the instructions here:
www.healself.org
and muscles don't shrink on that regimen. It works.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 12:31:29 am »
From what I've gathered from "the bear" science, once your body has fully-adapted to a carbless environment you will use very little glycogen during exercise. Glycogen levels on zc are apparently naturally at a lower level and seem to remain stable even while exercising. But, hes been wrong on a number of occasions I wouldn't read much into this.

A number of other zc'ers (such as myself) have noticed that it takes a bit longer to get back to full strength after heavy lifting. Perhaps this is because of the limited amount of ways the body can store glycogen. I suppose it makes sense that eating lots of protein will help you refill your glycogen stores but this doesn't seem healthy at all consuming this much protein unless you are an elite bodybuilder and even then 300g is probably too much. I would actually heavily advise against that much protein.

What I want to look into more is whether eating glycogen rich animal foods such as beef liver would fill my glycogen stores directly instead of having my body first break down the protein to glucose and then use this glucose to form glycogen. The USDA nutrient database says that there is 4 grams of carbs per 100g in beef liver. It doesn't however say that all these carbs are glycogen.

I'm going to postulate an example, a highly haphazard one, but an example nonetheless to see what might happen during exercise. From various internet searches the body is composed of 42% of skeletal muscle mass and in the muscle there is 1-2% glycogen, though I think its closer to 1%. So an 80kg male will have around 34kg of muscle and about 400 grams of glycogen. Further searching says that the average person has 200-500g of glycogen so the 400g is in the ballpark.  According to wiki glycogen stores are fully depleted after about 2 hours of intense running or cycling so glycogen is used up at around 200g per hour.

So now we can use this highly bastardized statistic to see how much glycogen we need to refill for ourselves. So for instance, If I play basketball intensely for half an hour perhaps I will use 50g of glycogen. But maybe now that Im zc and can more efficiently utilize fat I will use substantially less, maybe 20g and so the task of replenishing might not be that hard. Im going to stop my example now as Ive made numerous assumptions but I think you get the point.

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 02:42:59 am »
I disagree with the whole burning fat theory.  Certain muscle fibers use more glucose than fat, that's just the way they were designed.  Burning fat is too slow for certain movements, especially explosive powerful movements.  Those can only be handled by creatine phosphate than glucose.  The slower and weaker the movement, the more ability for that movement to burn fat.  300g of protein in one day is not overkill, that's about 3lbs. of meat.  I wouldn't do it everyday, but that's when I notice my muscle fill up dramatically over a meat feast, like I just finished a bowl of pasta at the Olive Garden.  I'm pretty aware of how carb loading works and I would have to say that eating meat does the same thing if you ate enough of it.  I eat in a chaotic manner, never the same amount everyday.  I'll stop eating if I don't feel good.   I truly doubt hunters of the past made a kill and just ate 1 pound of meat. 

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 05:36:45 am »
I do weightlifting. You should not be trying to 'fill' or "pump up" your muscle. Muscles in bodybuilders are using full looking from steriods and from a high carb diet, which makes you hold water.

My muscles are VERY strong and defined, not watery and bloated like Popeye's.

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 05:39:46 am »
I agree with you.  I'm not trying to pump it up or anything.  It's just something I noticed when I eat a big serving of meat.  I don't even need glycogen, I usually max rep of 5.  Anything above that is a waste of time in my book. 

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 05:40:41 am »
Yes, lifting heavy is the best way to get strong and defined.  Good to see another lifter around here  :)

Offline MMD

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 02:48:13 am »
It seems to me that in a well adapted VLC or ZC person, if one were terribly low on glycogen/glucose in the liver and skeletal muscle he would go hypoglycemic and feel awful, especially mentally foggy. 

If you are hungry, just eat to satiety and all systems will return to normal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk