Author Topic: Chitterlings  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Chitterlings
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:30:54 pm »
Chitterling, otherwise known as Chitlins are the intestines of pigs.

Has anyone ever eaten these raw? Do they taste good? I'm thinking about picking some up next time I go to buy some meat along with some tripe and livers.  :D

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Chitterlings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 05:18:31 am »
Mmm sounds delicious. Must be weird if they still have whatever the pigs even inside. If I could get my hands on some lovely wild pig, I'd relish using the whole animal.

Using? Eating.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 07:15:23 am »
... intestines of pigs.

Has anyone ever eaten these raw? Do they taste good? I'm thinking about picking some up next time I go to buy some meat along with some tripe ...

I know someone who ate raw pig intestines as a treatment.  Hard to imagine, but it apparently was good for them.  I have eaten untreated raw tripe.  Which kind of animal are you referring to when you say tripe?  Have you had it before?  Was it bleached, rinsed or dyed?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Megan Megatoast

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:04:34 am »
I've had beef tripe. It was just rinsed, not treated with any harsh chemicals. It had a honeycomb pattern on it and had a wonderful texture. I bought three pounds of the stuff and it lasted a while.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 07:10:02 pm »
    The untreated tripe I had was not honeycomb unfortunately, as honeycomb is more familiar.  It was from two of the other stomachs.  I got more than twice what you got, but ate less than half.  It wasn't rinsed very well, was yours?  I wound up treating it myself by soaking it in very salted (celtic) water.  That made it a little better, but I ended up putting it outside for wild animals to eat, which was good for them I would think with the tons of snow around.  I did like the tripe, but the smell was very strong, basically from the stomach contents leftover on it.  I think I still have some of the smell in me (I detect that no one has hinted anything), but the smell (bacteria) is probably just helping me digest etc, so I'm not worried.  Next time I'll make sure it's honeycomb and rinsed better, if I do it again.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

William

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:17:53 pm »
I ended up putting it outside for wild animals to eat, which was good for them I would think with the tons of snow around.

Yes, it is short-term good for them, but over the long term too many people have had problems with over-confident carnivores.
When I dumped something I would not eat, I left it in the forest about 200 yards away, and out of sight of any road. And never when bears are out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk